Which is your favoure Bruce's vocal performance?

His best performances are definitely on Accident of Birth and especially The Chemical Wedding. That was when he hit his overall peak vocally, though he was incredible on Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death.

Album-wise, it is Tyranny of Souls. This album is regarding his voice the best produced, best written and best performed. Every time I listen to it, I'm astonished at the tone, the diction and the flow he has when he sings. Take the track "River of No Return" as a prime example. Listen to the diction in the verses! Absolutely perfect. Add a masterful showcase of dynamics, from the relatively calm verses to the power in the chorus and you have one of the best performances of his career.

For me:

Aces High - absolutely incredible. Love the little grit he puts in the verses and then absolutely nails the high pitch harmony in the chorus.
Children of the Damned - album & Live After Death version
Where Eagles Dare - the long note at the end sends shivers down my spine
Sign of the Cross (Rio) - would love to hear a studio version of this song with Bruce from this period
SSOASS - stunning
Tears of a Dragon - one of my favorite Bruce choruses
ROTAM - The first "sailing on and on..." gives me goosebumps
The Duellists - I've always loved the way he sang he this one
CSIT - A tad shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet! Probably my favorite Bruce vocal performance of all time next to Aces High. "TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME"

In terms of a whole album, The Chemical Wedding features Bruce at his best. He sounds way more mature than he did in his early days yet still has that same fire and sounds incredibly powerful and passionate.

I kind of thought he was in top form in th FOTD album too. I know quite a few of you hate his vocals there.For me his voice was just amazing.

I'd be inclined to agree with you. "Wasting Love" is a great song, and performance. (It does feel very much like a Tattooed Millionaire-track.)

Can't understand why anyone would list "Aces High" as a great performance though. Second parts of the verses are written much too high, making him sound like he forces himself up there through the whole thing. Yes, it's a proof of his singing skill that he gets through the piece at all, but it isn't exactly a display of his vocal strengths.

Can't understand why anyone would list "Aces High" as a great performance though. Second parts of the verses are written much too high, making him sound like he forces himself up there through the whole thing. Yes, it's a proof of his singing skill that he gets through the piece at all, but it isn't exactly a display of his vocal strengths.

I think it's great on record, but when it comes to a live performance, I don't think it works.

At Sonisphere last year, he sounded like he struggled, particularly with the "jump in the cockpits, start up the engines" line.

I hope they leave it out of the setlist on the next tour.

beast over hammersmith and piece of mind are both incredibly powerful.
on a more personal note the buffalo show of somewhere on tour they had sound problems the first half of show during the guitar solo they managed to fix it and bruce absolutely tore that shit up the second half.
also the cayuga falls show on somewhere back in time tour i was lucky to witness his performance on aces high... Amazing it gave me chills

FOTD has an ok vocal performance. He's trying new things there, which I respect, but naturally some things work and some things don't. I think ATSS really covers a lot of different moods and vocal styles which I really like. Overall I'd say No Prayer has a much better vocal performance.

FOTD is such a diverse album. I would love to hear more tracks like Fear is the key.Love the vocals on this one.

Can't understand why anyone would list "Aces High" as a great performance though.
Because some people like the falsetto performance more than they like Bruce's proper voice. If you like his falsetto, then you probably rank Aces High up there. If you're more of a fan of his natural singing voice, you probably don't pick that track.

After considering this long and hard, my favourite Bruce vocals are on Accident of Birth, very closely followed by Chemical Wedding.

Powerslave (song) paschendale, longest day, coming home. Still get goosebumps from the heavy whisper like parts on notb (song) as well. Damn there are so many! It's gotta be infinite dreams though. One killer vocalization after another on that song. Right down to the last note.

Powerslave (song) paschendale, longest day, coming home. Still get goosebumps from the heavy whisper like parts on notb (song) as well. Damn there are so many! It's gotta be infinite dreams though. One killer vocalization after another on that song. Right down to the last note.

The scream at the hammersmith is shocking.

Because some people like the falsetto performance more than they like Bruce's proper voice. If you like his falsetto, then you probably rank Aces High up there. If you're more of a fan of his natural singing voice, you probably don't pick that track.

Are you referring to the scream at the end?

Back