Which Iron Maiden album would you like to see performed live in its entirety?

Choose one album:

• Somewhere In Time

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • The Number Of The Beast

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Killers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Piece Of Mind

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Iron Maiden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • No Prayer For The Dying

• Fear Of The Dark

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The X Factor

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Virtual XI

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brave New World

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Dance Of Death

• A Matter Of Life & Death

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters
I've gone for 7th Son because it's my favourite album, it's the album that got me into Maiden and the stage show from this era is one of my favourites

Dityn DJ James said:
No Prayer For The Dying

Bold, but interesting. As I've posted elsewhere, I'd love to see Run Silent Run Deep and Public Enema Number One live. I even think Holy Smoke and Tailgunner would be great live. I'd go see this, and then get beer during the title track, Fates Warning, and Mother Russia.

To be honest I have yet to see Maiden live. I'm hoping on the next tour they'll be more American dates.

Somewhere in Time — three great songs that have never been played live and a fourth that has rarely been played.
Two more — CSIT and Stranger — that haven't been played in years.

And since it's only eight songs deep that leaves room for eight others in the set.

You mean two great songs that haven't been played + third that has been played only once (possibly twice) + fourth that has been played for 1/3 of the original tour then dropped.
Bruce's favourite SIT song is the title track, I'm really amazed why they haven't played it on SBiT or other occasion.

Sorry Zare, can you enlighten me?
I thought Deja Vu, Loneliness, and Alexander had never been played, and Sea rarely.

Have you seen this?
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=16270.0

Sea of Madness was played regularly, but hardly in North America (only the first 2 dates) and not at all in Japan.
Loneliness was played once or twice. At least in Belgrade -click for audio-  (1st gig of tour), but perhaps also in Zagreb (2nd gig of tour, but no bootleg info + recording known).

Zare said:
Bruce's favourite SIT song is the title track, ..

Cool, where did you read that? I like such info. Again the Commentary?  :D

Haha, nope, not this time.

It's one of few video interviews with Bruce from 1986/7 on Youtube. I don't have time to dig it now. Listened to it two days ago @ work - ran all the available interview clips from SiT era in the background. When asked about his favourite tracks he says "the title track" and Stranger In A Strange Land, the latter is elaborated with bluesy riff and bluesy singing.

On "Somewhere In Time Premiere" bootleg, which is FM broadcast from Friday Rock Show when album got released, Bruce mentiones the insane instrumental part of ATG and says that second H solo, start of the breakdown over 7/8 drums (the Macedonian style), was done in one take, and H couldn't repeat it again. That they even tried to beat-mark that solo with drum computer and that is, in essence, off time. I just listened to it again. It goes off time, controlled, on several occasions. Being exposed to a lot of 7/8 stuff (Macedonian and Bosnian traditional music relies heavily on that time code, and a lot of ex-Yu rock/metal bands used folkish influences), I can play and I play from that time code a lot. That thing is pretty nasty if you want to nail it down. But, Adrian being infinitely better guitar player than I am...however this adds to Bruce's statement on 2000 FAQs - "Adrian forgot the solo".

In any case, I'm downloading a bootleg called "1986-1987 TV Media Collection", double DVD, containing all interviews and reports from that era that were captured on tape. There are two or three interviews there that I'm not sure I've seen before. Hopefully there'll be some interesting bits and bobs there.

Wow, cool info again, Zare.

I am curious if they elaborate more on their time in Holland, where they recorded guitars, and vocals (and guitar synths I assume, not sure?).

Zare said:
On "Somewhere In Time Premiere" bootleg, which is FM broadcast from Friday Rock Show when album got released, Bruce mentiones the insane instrumental part of ATG and says that second H solo, start of the breakdown over 7/8 drums (the Macedonian style), was done in one take, and H couldn't repeat it again. That they even tried to beat-mark that solo with drum computer and that is, in essence, off time. I just listened to it again. It goes off time, controlled, on several occasions. Being exposed to a lot of 7/8 stuff (Macedonian and Bosnian traditional music relies heavily on that time code, and a lot of ex-Yu rock/metal bands used folkish influences), I can play and I play from that time code a lot. That thing is pretty nasty if you want to nail it down. But, Adrian being infinitely better guitar player than I am...however this adds to Bruce's statement on 2000 FAQs - "Adrian forgot the solo".

What "second" H solo are you talking about? There's only really two out-&-out leads in ATG, and the second one (the last one) is Dave. Yes/no? Are you counting the little (tricky timing) cleaner/accoustic sounding fill after the verses?

Could H not just buy the songbook & re-learn it?  :D

Night Prowler said:
I know that it's a hard song to play...but still, numerous tribute bands play it live, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpW_eCu18pQ

These guys are barely keeping the 7/8 beat. And that solo is note-for-note, but it's completely aligned with 7/8. There are no original off-time parts, like for example the very last phrase.

Even this kid; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-50k93P ... ideo_title . He kicks major ass in guitar, and especially covering Adrian. And he also screws the final pharse, and two seconds before that he doesn't fall out of 7/8 timing on one note, like Adrian does, and you can clearly hear the difference.

I've seen perfect renditions of all SiT solos except for this one. First one to prove me wrong gets a beer  :D

What "second" H solo are you talking about? There's only really two out-&-out leads in ATG, and the second one (the last one) is Dave. Yes/no? Are you counting the little (tricky timing) cleaner/accoustic sounding fill after the verses?

First is intro solo. Second is this 7/8 interlude we're talking about. Third is the "main", the one that 6/8 McBrain/Harris beat cuts.

Could H not just buy the songbook & re-learn it?

There are answers out there, and I'm on a truth quest regarding Somewhere In Time. By collecting all available bits like a hamster and processing them like the Borg.

Ahh... indeed, that little interlude is quite tricky to play. I just recently went all out to learn ATG. Great tune. The lead work has been pretty fun to work through. I'm pretty sure I can nail the timing of that interlude though. It's the timing & speed that are tricky, & deceptively hard.

How do I get my beer?  :D
Just watched that kid you posted about above. Yeh, he was pretty good. I didn't think he was too bad at all over that section, although the sound quality wasn't super clear. Pity he didn't post Dave's lead --it sounds hard, but isn't really; it's also great fun to play once you're close...

Back