Which band should have a lineup change?

I don’t think Kirk was ever a very good guitarist. I remember one of my first guitar books was Ride the Lightning and even then I felt the solos were mostly boring and not worth learning. He certainly has his moments but they are rare.

That being said I don’t think Metallica needs a lineup change. At this point in their career it would be pointless and they’ve become a bit of a heavy metal Beatles where even the weak links are vital components to the band. I can’t imagine a different drummer or guitarist. The exception of course is Rob who still comes off as a hired gun to me.

Kirk has never been a great guitarist, but he did used to write really perfect, simple melodic sections that enhanced the songs. Sort of like Adrian Smith, but with 99% less talent or creativity. It really worked for the overall power of the song. See The Unforgiven or Sanitarium - nothing too hard, but they really fit.

Rob does feel like a hired gun, which is weird considering he adds far more than Kirk and definitely puts out more energy than Kirk. He just has never really fit the image of the band, despite being a killer bassist and a great dude. I still miss Jason.

Part of what makes both Lars and Kirk indispensable to the band is the characteristic roles they play in the band outside of music.

Lars shoulders the band's management. He puts the songs together, arranges the tour schedules, writes the setlists and does most of the press for the band. James is the creative force of the band, but I think it's very possible that he'd burn out very quickly and lose focus without Lars handling the business side of things. He strikes me as a person who just wants to do his own thing.

Kirk, by all accounts, is the glue guy of the band. James and Lars both have massive egos, which is understandable as they created one of the biggest music acts of all-time together, and Kirk's unassuming, calm personality has to have played a big part in keeping the band together across the years. It's visible on Some Kind of Monster, that he's the one extinguishing many of the fights between the two.

Judas priest should try to get KK Downing back if Glenn can’t perform anymore

They should. But they seem intent on driving a point home, that they are better off without him.. every interview there seems to be a clever dig at Ken “Andy is really is perfect replacement” etc

Yet the new boy Andy Sneep just looks lost on stage and out of place. Many of Glenn’s solos being played by Richie.

You can’t just put a leather jacket on someone and then hey presto..

There seems to be a lot of bad blood, I think the details won’t be revealed until KK’s book comes out.

Queensryche is bordering on being ridiculous at this point.

They have TWO original members left, arguably the least important. How can you this band function anymore legitimately ?

Back