Which band should have a lineup change?

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I'd say Metallica. How awesome would it be to have a proper drummer play with them for once? Lars stopped progressing like 25 years ago. I don't care about the fact that he founded the band and writes the songs and shit. If he steps out it'd extend the band's life + they'd sound better live.

I'd say Metallica. How awesome would it be to have a proper drummer play with them for once? Lars stopped progressing like 25 years ago. I don't care about the fact that he founded the band and writes the songs and shit. If he steps out it'd extend the band's life + they'd sound better live.
I'm really surprised you didn't mention Iced Earth.

I’d like to see Dream Theater with a new drummer but Mangini seems to fit what they’re after lately so it might not make a difference (similar to the Iced Earth situation).

It would also be interesting for Opeth to get someone who can growl. This may be controversial, but I don’t care for Frederik’s guitar playing and he seems even more out of place now that Opeth is a prog rock band. Maybe they could replace him with someone who can also growl.

Not that I'm necessarily clamoring for it, but Dream Theater with a different singer could be pretty interesting.

Blind Guardian should get an actual bass player.

You can't not care, though. You can't kick out the founder of the band, he has to leave himself. Kicking Lars out of Metallica is the equivalent of kicking Steve Harris out of Iron Maiden.
Where did I say he should be kicked out? I said he should step out.

OK, Syd Barrett then :D

Syd Barrett stopped showing up to gigs, and when he did show up, he would tank them by going into his own world on stage. And even still the band didn't formally kick him out, they forced him to leave.

It would also be interesting for Opeth to get someone who can growl. This may be controversial, but I don’t care for Frederik’s guitar playing and he seems even more out of place now that Opeth is a prog rock band. Maybe they could replace him with someone who can also growl.

If it meant getting more classic Opeth songs on the setlist or newer songs with growls, I'd be all for it. However, if that guy doesn't sounds 100% like classic Akerfeldt I'd rather have no growls.

Just as impossible. Lars being gone would end the band. He owns the name "Metallica".

Lars leaving Metallica would be the end of Metallica, both for legal reasons and because he literally arranges every song the band writes. They could get a new drummer and never record another new album, but at that point they're stagnant and I'd rather they just hang it up.

What Metallica needs is an immediate lineup change by getting rid of Kirk. He's dead weight, he writes nothing of substance or style anymore, and he can barely even play his classic (good) solos.

I'm really surprised you didn't mention Iced Earth.
*Happy no one has brought up Dave Mustaine yet* :innocent:

To be fair it is October, which means either Iced Earth or Megadeth are due for a lineup change.

Lars does simple patterns and they fit. Yes tons more could be done, but he's also doing that as a part of songwriting process together with Hetfield. He should just not mess up live. Kirk on the other is so goddamn average and doesn't even care anymore. He had some good solos and leads but my favourite Metallica solo of the last 20 years is Hetfield's on Suicide and redemption.

TBH, James kicks Kirk's ass. Kirk has had his moments, see One and Master of Puppets, but James is really great when it comes to riffing, and I'd much rather hear him than another wah solo. That's the only downfall to Enter Sandman, which is a good song, just terrible solo.

As for Lars, I actually think he really fits Metallica, at least in the early years. He's grown meh overtime, but during the first three - five albums he was great.

I don’t think Kirk was ever a very good guitarist. I remember one of my first guitar books was Ride the Lightning and even then I felt the solos were mostly boring and not worth learning. He certainly has his moments but they are rare.

That being said I don’t think Metallica needs a lineup change. At this point in their career it would be pointless and they’ve become a bit of a heavy metal Beatles where even the weak links are vital components to the band. I can’t imagine a different drummer or guitarist. The exception of course is Rob who still comes off as a hired gun to me.

Back