Where Eagles Dare

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
When it comes to opening tracks Maiden always deliver a gem... always!, an outstanding performance by Nicko... tight as fuck, 10/10.

I could listen to that drum fill intro for days. Insane riffage, Dave's solo is a highlight for itself, Bruce's performance is out of this world. The only thing why it doesn't make a full score is repetition. The middle part somewhat drags a bit, perhaps a few more licks would grant it a perfect score. 9.

ill give 7... good solid opener great vocal but not breaking into the top third so its held back.

9/10

One of the all-time classic drum intros leads into some excellent riffs with interesting triplet ideas. Dave's lead work in this track always makes me think of flight. I hadn't seen the film the first time I heard this, but did soon after - it's also amazing!

Nicko's on fire in his first appearance on a Maiden album, and his performance is the driving force of this song. Aside from that, Bruce provides a soaring performance (pardon the pun) here, capturing the energy of the song perfectly, though I'm not in love with the chorus. The guitars aren't anything particularly special  here IMO. 8/10 

9/10 - an epicly good song, kind of sad that they didn't include it in any of their "Best of" albums. The song includes amazing guitar riffs and doesn't get boring for a second although it doesn't have a lot of lyrics.

May sound stupid, but to me, this song is a kind of perfect incarnation of what Metal is supposed to be : powerful, fast but not to much, fantastic drumming, great guitar work, tense Lyrics served by a great singer, and a driving bass. The guitar sound is really perfect on that one, which makes me LOVE the repetition/variation of the riff during the long instrumental section. And that part after the solos is just marvelous. I'd like to give it a 10, but that would mean giving a 11/10 to "To Tame a Land", so 9,75.

I love the dynamics in this song. Great music on Steve's part! Bruce turns in an epic performance, though he is cramming A LOT of words into each line. Guess that's how we know Steve wrote the lyrics.

I don't often stop and notice the drum work in a song, but wow, this might be Nicko's best so far throughout this discography. Another great, fast paced song to start a pretty good album. From a lyrical standpoint, this song is too similar to that of "Flight of Icarus". The eagles, flying, icarus, etc are very similar.
I'm just now noticing the flying plane/gun sound effect in this song, which is a nice touch. My car speakers must suck since I never noticed that before at a reasonable volume.
Simply put, this song is a classic.
10/10

Last edited:
Cool point. I never realised that Where Eagles Dare is the very first Maiden track with Nicko's drumming. Just like Painkiller is Priest's first with Travis on drums. Both are amazing songs drum-wise.

I love WED drum-wise. It just bursts out at you. Great opening track with a great intro.

Great drum work, good riffs and vocals and all that, but it just feels to long. It's a good song but i think I had enjoyed it more if it were just a minute shorter.
Bruce delivers a high E5 in full voice in the end and it is as epic as it was in Children Of The Damned. One of Maidens lesser openers but that depends more of the fact that Maidens openers always is very good then this being a bad song.

7/10

Back