Where Eagles Dare

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Where Eagles Dare' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'where Eagles Dare'

My vote: 4 stars.

I think this is a great album opener. However, I'm not a fan of the riff which comes at the beginning and end of the solo section: the 8-bar riff which is repeated 4 times on each appearance. I know they tried to spice it up with some harmony guitar parts, but I think it just goes on too long. It should have been 2 repeats instead of 4 each time. The rest of the song rocks, but those bits always slow it down to my ears.

The machine-gun sounds are great, too!

'where Eagles Dare'

I was watching the DVD of this movie and came up one intresting fact. on the "extra" features, they have a documentary about the making of the film that is as old as the film itself. I noticed that the music accompanying that documentary had a "riff" very close to one of the riffs in this song! someone more music literate than me can spot it better I guess!

'where Eagles Dare'

A great opener, showcasing Nicko's drumming. Could it be that this song is the first one they wrote to be based on a movie? The middle section with this machine-gun like sound really stands out on this one.

'where Eagles Dare'

If there's one song to kick some serious ass it will be 'Where Eagles Dare'!Surely one of the band's heaviest songs to this day it used to be a stunning opener for their 'World Piece Tour'!Marvellous drumming and Bruce on top(...'where no-one would try...)accompanied with machine gun- like guitar sounds this song will always be a favourite of mine; another must for the next tour!

'where Eagles Dare'

"Hello, my name is Nicko" - great drumming, a very heavy song with a great chorus and nice solos - I'd give it 4 stars, as it's a really good opener

'where Eagles Dare'

WED is one of my all time favorite Maiden songs, hands down! If you haven't done so, try to listen to the song along side Ron Goodwin's Soundtrack version also called, and taken from the film Where Eagles Dare. Having seen the "World Piece Tour" waaaay back in my youth I know they opened the show with Where Eagles Dare and used an Orchesral number as the Intro that was quite possibly Ron Goodwin's version.

I've added a link for those interested in the Orchestral version:
[a href=\'http://www.whereeaglesdare.com/default.php?section=2&page=5\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.whereeaglesdare.com/default.php?section=2&page=5[/a]

'where Eagles Dare'

This is another one of my favorite Maiden songs. The song immidiately kicks ass right from the drum intro and into the rip-roaring riffs and soaring vocals. The solo is wicked and the gun sound effects make it even more wicked. Rating 5/5

'where Eagles Dare'

Four star rating for a song which is one of my favourite album openers. Some parts are a bit too long for me but the combat atmosphere is created here is unique. Excellent heavy and precise drumming indeed. Some of the coolest solos, especially Dave and joined by Adrian in the middle of the song.....
[!--QuoteBegin-Cosmiceddie+Dec 25 2004, 05:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Cosmiceddie @ Dec 25 2004, 05:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...and Bruce on top(...'where no-one would try...)
[snapback]94677[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Another nice thing on the album, the way Revelations rock in...

'where Eagles Dare'

[!--quoteo(post=84143:date=Aug 22 2004, 09:21 PM:name=Uwe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 22 2004, 09:21 PM) [snapback]84143[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Could it be that this song is the first one they wrote to be based on a movie?
[/quote]
"Children of the Damned."

5/5, awesome. The drumming is over the top in this one.

Daily Song: Where Eagles Dare

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Where Eagles Dare

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Three albums down, twelve to go.

You're about to discover LC's dirty secret: I don't like Piece of Mind that much. Lots of people love it, but I have always considered it to be mediocre. Where Eagles Dare is one of those songs that people love and I don't. It never really felt that good. Nicko's drumming is superb, but the guitars sound uninspired, and Bruce doesn't sound too hot either on the verses.

6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Where Eagles Dare

9/10 from me. I just love this song, A nice, ass kicking rocker to start the album off and Bruce's vocal performance on it is incredible!

9. The intro just knocked me senseless when I first heard it. It's a different approach Harris tried with an epic, it's more direct, simple, less intrincate, but it really depicts the storyline mood, once again. It has a 'Jethro Tully' riff break after the tense guitar duet with Nicko doing 4ths on the snare that modulates from E to F# that I just love.

It was the greeting card showing Maiden was a totally new and different beast from that album onwards. Anthologic!!!
LooseCannon said:
You're about to discover LC's dirty secret: I don't like Piece of Mind that much. Lots of people love it, but I have always considered it to be mediocre. Where Eagles Dare is one of those songs that people love and I don't. It never really felt that good. Nicko's drumming is superb, but the guitars sound uninspired, and Bruce doesn't sound too hot either on the verses.

6/10.

LC, are you sure you're a Maiden fan? You just need what Eddie had on Piece Of Mind cover. :bigsmile:

Hi Nicko! Mr. McBrain puts his stamp on the Maiden sound on his first track. Love the riff and Bruce's soaring vocal. It's a rocker, but with the emotional heft of an epic.
Instrumental section has great feel — love the feel of the solos over the machine gun sounds. Great album opener and a solid nine.

The intro by Nicko is just great, and Bruce's performance is top-notch as always, but this song still isn't among Maiden's best or even second-best.  I'm sort of with Loosey here; Piece of Mind is probably the weakest of the golden age albums.  7/10

Piece of Mind is probably my least favourite "Golden Age" album as well (on par with The Number of the Beast), but that doesn't mean there aren't some real gems on here. Very strong rocker, but it is a bit different in that it goes for over 6mins. However, this is partly due to the riff on either side of the solo being played for 16 bars each, which IMO is over the top and gets a bit boring by the end of these sections. Cut it down to 8 bars on each side of the solo section, and I'd like it even more. Still gets a 9/10 due to the awesome instrumental section and exceptional drumming.

This song is one of the few from the golden era that I just don't get. I still don't know this song after all these years.

The instrumental section involves some nice solo work and the air raid siren delivers.

Not sure why but the song always reminds me of the colour green.

Ha, it reminds me of the colour yellow or gold-yellow. Don't know why either.

I gave it a 7. As everyone already said, it's a perfect introduction of Nicko's talent, Bruce is also great, but the mid-section with the wailing solos and the machine gun sound isn't much.

8/10: In a way, I missed this track being played out live right in front of me. Why? Well, I saw Maiden at the Hammersmith Odeon on the "Piece of Mind" tour - before the album came out. So, this, "Revelations", etc. was played and I could only stand and watch. Still, a damn fine song and one of the best instrumental breaks of any Maiden song.

By far the best Album Opener in my opinion. I like it much more than Aces High or Moonchild or CSiT.

10/10  :shred:

Back