When Two Worlds Collide

How good is When Two Worlds Collide on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: When Two Worlds Collide

It’s got some nice guitar parts and it rocks out, but nothing really special composition- or melody-wise. Again, not a real big fan of Blaze on this one. His voice doesn’t cut through the heaviness the way it should. Low six.

By the way, we are now 100 songs into this project. This clocked in at number 85 for me.

Oops, forgot Virus — 86 of 101.

I really should go re-evaluate my own rankings to see how I'm organizing the songs. I'm somewhat curious. And considering I'll begin the "individual order rankings" statistics once the "Score-out-of-10" statistics are complete, it might be an idea to check it out.

Pro:
Very nice solos if you ask me. The beginning I like very much, both the intro and the couplets (too bad they are only present before the first chorus).

Con:
Annoying Blaze vocals (this high: "The anger, the paaaain" etc is stomach cringing!) at the end, when that part goes on forever. This song is a typical example of bad song structure. Instead of repeating such an annoying part, another couplet in the second half of the song would have done wonders.

Last but not least: the recycle machine was running full force on this one.
I can't help thinking that the song sounds as a rip-off from That Girl (Maiden's best b-side). Rhythm, mood but especially chord progression: Play e.g. 2:50-3:19 from That Girl, and right after that pick a chorus from WTWC....

A high 6

Mega said:
the entire 90's era.

So not only the Blaze era. Cool.

I did initially think the lyrics at the beginning were a bit, well, naff. But the track has grown on me over time and worthy of a 7.

6/10

Music and lyrics feel somewhat SIT era to me.  Reminds me a lot of That Girl in fact.  Blaze's vocals could have been better.  I'd love to hear this song with Bruce.  Decent to OK number.

My favorite song on the album! The lyrics, the buildup into the verses and that chorus! This is a great song and I can't believe I am the first to give it a ten. And Blaze's live solo version is very good too.  :rocker: 10

I just realized that I am a Gorn. I should threaten to rip off the heads of those who disagree with me.

5 out of 10... One of my least favorite Maiden tunes. I find Janick's solo the only real redeeming factor. The drumming sounds like my old Boss Dr 110, and the lyrics and vocal are a particular low point for me. Even the harmony guitar piece (which is always a favorite part of every Maiden song for me) sounds boring and uninspired. Meh...

Underrated as hell. Great melodies, great vocals. One of the best of the album. 9/10.

8/10 for me, a solid song from a solid album.

A very solid song. Not that thrilling, but evokes a certain mood. The harmony together with synth background, after the chanting part is very melancholic, and for me it's a highlight of the song. On the following pre-chorus part, Nicko does a great break. Lyrics are good, nothing special, solos are pretty much ordinary, but intro is great.

All VXI songs are incredibly powerful live. This one also.

A song that really does transmit strong emotions, even if I'm not totally sure what it is trying to tell me. Maybe not all that special, but hey. 8/10.

Like bearfan I also think this one has some lyrics that are just a little odd for maiden. This is not a bad song though. I'll give it a high 6.

This composition would work better if it was maybe a minute shorter... and performed as a collaboration with ASIA.
I'm not kidding. JOHN WETTON on vocals and CARL PALMER on drums would absolutely make the song so much better.
Believe it or not, the overall style is very ASIA already. :dancinggeek:

Back