When the Wild Wind Blows

How good is When the Wild Wind Blows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The Man Who Would Be King

There's a few reasons for that.

1. Selective memory. Bruce raped Futureal. He brutalized it, he sodomized it, he fucked it up hardcore. LOTF was no better.
2. Smart choices for the rest. Just like ATSS became a Blaze staple, the songs that were chosen were picked because they hit Bruce's range better. Futureal is a higher-pitched song, but Bruce couldn't keep up. LOTF was too, but Bruce is just not quick enough. But SOTC? The Clansman? Yeah, Bruce was great on those because they have more ponderous vocals, and higher pitched ones too.
3. Ingrained distaste of Blaze. Sorry, the man's a great fucking singer. I went back and listened to every single professional production Blaze has ever put out yesterday, and I think his time in Maiden (plus Silicon Messiah) were his best vocals of them all. The Aftermath, The Edge of Darkness, The Educated Fool, and The Clansman are just stellar (plus, of course, Stare at the Sun). Bruce does a great job on The Clansman, but how would he handle the other songs? The Edge of Darkness would give him LOTF style problems, I think. Blaze? Knocked it out of the park.

I looked into the heart of darkness...

"Saints and sinner. Something within us. To be lord of the flies". Bruce just RULES when he belts that part out!

"Every minute I get weaker
While in the jungle they grow strong
What I wanted was a mission
And for my sins they gave me one

They brought it up just like room service
'Cause everyone gets what they want
And when that mission was all over
I'd never want another one"

"I know, captain, that you've done this work before
We've got a problem you can help us I'm sure
The Colonel's gone rogue, and his methods are unsound
You'll take a PBR up river; Track Him Down!"

I can just hear Bruce ruling on those parts as well.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
"Saints and sinner. Something within us. To be lord of the flies". Bruce just RULES when he belts that part out!

Agree to disagree then, I guess.  I think he butchers the part, the song wasn't made to be sung that high.  The Blaze version is easier to sing along to, too.

Prowler_108 said:
I would kill to hear the Edge of Darkness live with Bruce.

I think he would butcher that. Lightning strikes twice would be interesting.

Maybe. I think he'd have a hard time with the chorus.

cornfedhick said:
Now, obviously, if one were coldly rational, it would be impossible to confuse the two.  In a nuclear blast, the light would reach you before any vibrations in the earth, and presumably the shock wave through the air would travel faster than the shock wave through the ground, too.  But who would be coldly rational in that situation?  You'd be scared shitless.
OK, but the way I see it is that they are in the shelter when the earthquake happens. The shelter is their basement and has no windows to the outside and as such they would not necessarily see the intense light of a thermonuclear blast. Again, with their mind set to accept their fate as they are led to believe, it could be conceived that they would easily confuse the one for the other

Invader said:
Like Afraid to Shoot Strangers where Blaze did a better job, this is might be one of those songs which suit Blaze better, though it was written for Bruce.

I still disagree with this. Damn, I was searching for an old post of mine where I compared both performances but I can't find it.  :mad:

Babo 91 said:
I think he would butcher that. Lightning strikes twice would be interesting.
That's the song I want to hear most with Bruce.

Damn, we're really getting off topic, but the mods don't seem to mind. :p

After 30 or 40 listenings, that was my favorite song. But after 100-110 listenings, that's just fifth in my TFF list. (Starblind, Talisman, TMWWBK, Mercy)

Your nuts! :p my most listened to song is probably Starblind with roughly 50 plays. The others are around 35-40, it might seem like a little amount compared to some of you guys but I think its time to give TFF a break.

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
Your nuts! :p my most listened to song is probably Starblind with roughly 50 plays. The others are around 35-40, it might seem like a little amount compared to some of you guys but I think its time to give TFF a break.

starblind gets at least one p;lay from me everyday. WTWWB gets one every week

The only thing I don't like about this song is that Afraid To Shoot Strangers harmonic type riff that repeats 3 separate times. I wish they would have done something different for the last 1. I'm kind of bored of it the 3rd time it plays.

I just found out one song similar to this one, the melody is the same, beautiful!! It's from an italian musician I think, it's pretty cool.

Still prefer When The Wild Wind Blows though.

One thing that still amazes me about this song is how fast it seems to go by. It may be 11 minutes, but it goes by in a flash. This seems to be the mark of a great Maiden epic, I feel the same about songs like Paschendale, FTGGOG and ATG. I love the lyrics, I love the vocal delivery, I love the melodies, I love everything about this song.

For the sake of archiving:

For this album, When the Wild Wind blows was the 10th (last) song that was recorded, on January 22, 2010.

Did anyone else notice that in the interviews released with the CD that Bruce doesn't seem to be that carried away with this song? He seems to not want to talk about it and wants the interviewer to move on to the next question.

Having now been able to listen to it for a few months I think lyrically it is poor, its like Steve seemed to have some writers block and couldn't come up with the words. Compare it to something like Starblind the lyrics look childish. This is my opinion but I don't think he was at all happy with the way it was written. Musically it is solid but the words sucks tbh.

Steve's solo writting is getting worse and imo he needs to realise that there are better songs that can be written by other members of the band including himself. Whether he likes it or not Bruce and Adrian have produced the best material in the last three albums.

Steve's solo writing isn't as great as in the Blaze Era and in the "Golden Years" but he's still churned out my favourite song off of 2 of the reunion albums (Blood Brothers and WTWWB). I think he's acknowledged his creativity isn't as high anymore by and letting H take the lead more and co-writing with him.

Back