What type of Blaze-era Iron Maiden fan were you?

What type of Blaze-era Iron Maiden fan were you?

• Total voters
The X factor, on the other hand is a great album, just different. Would still benefit greatly if Birch did the production.

Oh absolutely not. By far the best mix of anything they've done, still. Nicko's drum sound is huge, the guitars maybe not as powerful as usual in the genre - but in that you gain clarity to die for, and the bass sound is magnificent. Sure, I would have liked some different vocal takes on a few things - and maybe wish they'd found Blaze a slightly more comfortable spot with some of the songs, but as far as sound production goes... it's perfect.

Oh absolutely not. By far the best mix of anything they've done, still. Nicko's drum sound is huge, the guitars maybe not as powerful as usual in the genre - but in that you gain clarity to die for, and the bass sound is magnificent. Sure, I would have liked some different vocal takes on a few things - and maybe wish they'd found Blaze a slightly more comfortable spot with some of the songs, but as far as sound production goes... it's perfect.
Man, the snare sounds like a tin can (not St. Anger bad, but still...) and the production is dry AF. Songs like SOTC would beneit greatly from a better production. The vocals are not prominent enough and seem like someone singing in the background of the band. Exactly the opposite of what it should be.

The part at 3:40-4:10:

What the hell is that. That part should sound majestic, but it sounds like a school band practising in a 10 square meter room and they can't afford reverb effect.

The production after 4:45 is good, but before that it's pure horror. The song should sound majestic and full. But because the production is dry as sand, it sounds as a band in the practice room. Especially because the guitars are much cleaner that they have been live when they played that song (the RIR version with H and Bruce is a completely different story). Who does play clean parts without chorus and at least some reverb. The clean rythm guitar at 8:15 is pure horror production-wise. Not to mention that it just comes in from somewhere and dissappears who knows where.

Last edited:
Fear of the dark is a top 5 album for me, in at number 3 as my third favourite maiden album. Never understood why this doesn’t get get more love.

I’m one of the crazies as 90’s Maiden is great Maiden to me as the X-Factor is also top 5 Maiden to my ears. My favourite albums in order of merit are:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2. Piece of Mind
3. Fear of the Dark
4. The X-Factor
5. A matter of life and death

I’m one of the crazies as 90’s Maiden is great Maiden to me as the X-Factor is also top 5 Maiden to my ears. My favourite albums in order of merit are:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2. Piece of Mind
3. Fear of the Dark
4. The X-Factor
5. A matter of life and death

I have three of those (3.-5.) in my top 5 as well :ok: (though in opposite order)

the RIR version with H and Bruce is a completely different story

I don't care for that one at all. The parts that you name are my favourite parts, production wise. Completely unique in their discography. You can hear everything.

Who does play clean parts without chorus and at least some reverb.

Steve: "Err... Adrian, it is you innit? We've already had this conversation. We're not remixing The Final Frontier."

I didn't vote.

There's no 'never listened to it' category.

I have zero interest in those two albums.

Back