What type of Blaze-era Iron Maiden fan were you?

What type of Blaze-era Iron Maiden fan were you?

• Total voters
NPFTD is by far Maiden's worst album IMHO. It's the only one with no great song on it. Fear at least has FOTD and ATSS, even if the rest is like NPFTD.

On TXF however, every song is great.

If the performances and production had been better, I could believe that an alternate-universe version of The X Factor could have edged out Fear Of The Dark, which was clearly the nadir of the Dickinson era. But I think it's a stretch to say it would have been better than No Prayer For The Dying.
I like the production and performances on both! Each to their own

NPFTD is by far Maiden's worst album IMHO. It's the only one with no great song on it. Fear at least has FOTD and ATSS, even if the rest is like NPFTD.

On TXF however, every song is great.

In my humble opinion, Virtual XI is the worst Maiden album by far. NPFTD, TXF and FOTD (from worst to best) are better. Either way, those 4 albums are at the bottom of my personal ranking of Maiden albums. :D

Virtual XI, having Clansman, which is a top 10 Maiden song for me, can never be below NPFTD. Despite that, Virtual Xi is in my bottom 5 Maiden albums.

TXF on the other hand, is in my top 3 Maiden albums.

You are not entitled to an opinion if you form it before listening to the album or giving it any chance.

It is true that Maiden were going downhill during the 90's, so even though they released their best album since 7th son, people didn't care because it was with a different singer, and it is well known in metal world that everything new is automatically bad.
Yes, Maiden did lose their way in the 90's and I too rank the 90's albums on the bottom of list. I was absolutely willing to give Blaze a shot, but found that I just don't care for his voice. I like X Factor now, and would like it even more if Blaze wasn't on it.

Blaze's voice suits the dark themes and atmosphere of the album perfectly. I really dislike Bruce's version of Lord of the flies (he is ok on SOTC and MOTE). I am sure the other darker songs on the record would suit him even less.

As for Virtual, that's another story. I think songs from it would suit Bruce much better.

Well, I like the Blaze era - for me, the VXI album is better than TXF and I quite like the sound on the VXI ! Blaze did a great job in the studio, but not live ! Futureal, The Clansman, WTWC, TEF and DLTTEOAS (love the melody on that one) are all songs that I like a lot. TXF also have good songs like SOTC, LOTF and JOH which is a top 10 song for me ! Love the intro on LFTT and especially on BOTWH (a masterpiece intro from Steve, better than The Clairvoyant), though the song afterwards is a bit weak. I also started to like 2 A.M. (great solo and melancholy melody from Janick), The Aftermath is also a great song and MOTE is 50/50 !

I think that these 2 albums contains the most melodic parts (lead melody, solo) of all Maiden albums and Dave really helped for that with his beautiful legato tone.

IMO FOTD has some of the best songs Maiden ever did. BQOBD, JMG,FOTD,ATSS, WL. I love the melodic sound of the guitars. The solos are so sweet.I love the fact that Bruce gives fantastic performances by combining the rough and melodic parts of his voice. I love the clearance of the sound. Surely there are some not so good songs but even in those there are brilliant song parts,melodies and solos.

It's very underrated, that's for sure. Songs like "The Apparition", "Chains of Misery" and "Fear Is the Key" are terribly overlooked.

It's very underrated, that's for sure. Songs like "The Apparition", "Chains of Misery" and "Fear Is the Key" are terribly overlooked.
Thankfully, they are.

Still, I think it's a crime that Maiden never did JMG live. That song is amazing.

Anyways, VXI is the most uninspired IM album. By far. From drumming, to the production to the "Don't you think I'm a saviour..." to basically everything. NPFTD was at least fun, partly and still contains one of the best songs from the 90's, NPFTD.
Maiden might as well put out Clansman single with Futureal as a B-side instead of VXI, the album.

The X factor, on the other hand is a great album, just different. Would still benefit greatly if Birch did the production.

I have a personal conspiracy theory that more FOTD songs were played live than we are aware of. They did a secret gig in the UK and a show in Iceland before the tour properly started in the US. No bootlegs exist for either shows. They’ve dropped songs after one or two gigs before and there’s no way we would know without having audio documentation. It’s also unusual that the band would only play five mostly short songs from a UK #1 album with 12 tracks.

I have a personal conspiracy theory that more FOTD songs were played live than we are aware of. They did a secret gig in the UK and a show in Iceland before the tour properly started in the US. No bootlegs exist for either shows. They’ve dropped songs after one or two gigs before and there’s no way we would know without having audio documentation. It’s also unusual that the band would only play five mostly short songs from a UK #1 album with 12 tracks.

3025692a1ca773724404e497ba1b830d.jpg

Well, the Nodding Donkeys setlist from Norwich exists:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/1992/the-oval-rock-house-norwich-england-73d39af9.html

So, unless they played some in Iceland, I think it was 5 all along.

Is there a source for that? Anyone can edit setlistFM with the standard set for that tour.

I mean the chances of there being a different setlist are extremely low, but there are only a few tours where we don’t have bootlegs for the first show.

Back