What Iron Maiden song you heard first?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.  It was in 1988 when I heard it, and I was only 8 years old.  My little brain was amazed by it.  Like traveling to another world via song.  Been my fave band ever since.

Aces High, not long after it was released. Hadn't long discovered metal at the time, was listening to Metallica, Slayer, Motorhead & AC/DC mainly so Maiden's sound struck me as completely different. To be honest my first impression was this is aint heavy, this is gay. Not long after I borrowed a copy of the Number of the Beast album off a friend and was just blown away, and still love Maiden till this day.

It would be Murders In The Rue Morgue. Heard it when I saw a recording of Iron Maiden playing somewhere in Sweden... probably Ullevi.

Where Eagles Dare. My brother's friend gave me his NOTB and POM CDs and I'm not really sure but it must have been that or Invaders.

The first one I heard - and which began my obsession - was Phantom of the Opera.

To this day, I still thank the lord for that Lucozade TV advert in the early/mid 80s which starred Daley Thompson.

Only the intro of the song was in the ad...but that was more than enough.

25/26 years on and the obsession has not wained one iota

I am one of the 'GTA Generation' and as such have been introduced to a good many songs and artists through the games. So it may come as no suprise that the first Maiden track I heard was 2 Minutes to Midnight which was featured on the GTA: Vice City Radio Soundtrack on their "VROCK" station, which also featured classic songs such as Madhouse by Anthrax, Peace Sells by Megadeth and Raining Blood by Slayer... man that game was awesome.

Still Life, a cousin of mine was obsessed with maiden and played that song over and over, I thought Piece of Mind was pretty good, I bought Powerslave when it came out and liked it, then I saw them on tour and was just blown away and my appreciation with Maiden took off from there.

Prior to that Ace Frehley, Van Halen, ZZ Top,. AC/DC were my favortie bands.  As a bit of a story, my son ended up liking AC/DC, Van Halen, pretty much "classic rock" etc, I took him to see Maiden on the last tour and he has been listening to them non-stop ever since.  They hooked two generations so far, with two almost completely different set lists. 

Paschendale. My brother played it to me. I thought it was "meh" and went back to lsiten to Linkin Park After a few days I listened through Edward the Great and from there on...

Oh. Now I know better: Paschendale is fucking awesomeness.

Back