What do you reckon the last thing we need from Maiden next year is...

LooseCannon said:
Basically a re-release of Best of the Beast.  Ugh.

Worse. Way worse. BTW, that excuse that young kids don't know these tracks...right. Their parents (or others) must have urged them to know the band (hardly any other way), so I bet these kids have heard, downloaded or bought all albums for ages already.

LooseCannon said:
Not a bad looking cover, mind you.

I agree with that. I like the cover.

Right,  so the money grabbing machine is turned back on.  And yes,  this is a money grabbing idea,  don't even tell me things like "well no one forces you to buy it if you don't want to" etc.  I know nobody does,  and I will not buy it,  but that is no excuse.  If they cared so much to introduce the youngsters to Maiden music (something that as Forostar said is pointless,  they probably already know Maiden) at least can't they have it as a completely free download????  Is it so god damn hard?  Man I really hate this.  :mad:  Don't worry people,  in a few months time we'll be getting announcements of a new live cd/dvd album.  -_-

In an unprecedented move to let younger fans hear, understand and appreciate the quality of these recordings

UNPRECEDENTED??? They're using the same fucking argument as with Th€ €$$€nt¥a£ and €dward Th€ Gr€at! It's really getting ridiculous!

Genghis Khan said:
Edward the Great Part Trois.  Just what we do NOT need.  What are they going to add onto this... 'These Colours Don't Run' and/or 'The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg', plus 'Different World'.  Why bother!? 

Well.  Close enough.  Like Sneaky said this is nothing but money grabbing release.  I'm not buying it either.

cornfedhick said:
Here is Rod Smallwood's post on the official website, in which he sheepishly admits that this release will be of no interest to long-term fans: http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?categoryid=8&p2_articleid=832

He does note that the album artwork will be made available for free to people who don't want to pay for the CD.  So  we've got that going for us.  Which is nice. 

Which is precisely, and I repeat, precisely the same as what was said when Edward The Great was released.

Another "best of" compilation...so what? We're getting ourselves Donington DVD next year, i couldn't care less if they release yet another best of. If someone wants to buy it, they'll buy it. I won't. As long as we get new goodies like live shows, new albums and such, i wouldn't mind if they released ten different best of versions per month.

As for my opinion about this move, i think, from the market viewpoint, that it's very dumb. Kids today can listen to all kinds of stuff free of charge, on youtube, myspace, and i won't even mention P2P sharing. The "introductory" compilation loses sense here.

Don't buy it then, I guess?

The only reason Maiden keep putting these albums out is because stupid fans keep buying them. If the sales were low then no-one would bother.

Cool artwork though..

It's the 'collector' mentality that they're preying on.  Many fans want the 'complete' collection and someone is taking advantage of the fans by releasing these compilations.......What exactly does his one have to offer that makes it so different from previous releases.

I hate the way that Rod says that young fans need introducing to this older material and is then amazed that they know the words to all the songs already...as he admits they do at the concerts......I wonder how they learn't the words?

Maiden renewed their contract/relationship with EMI recently didn't they?  I'd be interested to see the terms of the agreement.  I'm guessing Maiden are contractually obliged to make these releases to make money for EMI.......I suppose there must be advantages for Maiden to maintain the relationship.....but sometimes it's hard to see what they are.

Like like the younger fans need "help" to find the old songs. What a lame excuse for releasing this. It do start to get ridiculous with all these releases.

Maiden dont need to release a compilationalbum or livealbum ever again. Maybe in 20 years. Long after they quit as a active band.

I think Hasse78 has a point here.  The reason they shouldn't release another compilation album is obvious,  and I support the idea not to release live albums simply because they will all include RTTH,  NOTB,  Hallowed,  Wrathchild and the rest of the songs that have been played a gazillion times.  If they were planning on releasing a live album next year that included the 2006 setlist of the AMOLAD tour,  things would've been different.  But they're not,  so it's pointless. -_-

And I know that I have the choice not to buy this stuff if I don't like it,  but what annoys me is that music has become a damn business.  It's inevitable that these two coexist,  but please,  business has overshadowed the passion for music.

SneakySneaky said:
And I know that I have the choice not to buy this stuff if I don't like it,  but what annoys me is that music has become a damn business.  It's inevitable that these two coexist,  but please,  business has overshadowed the passion for music.

^^
Yes. That's what I feel to. I dont care if they release this and I wont buy it. But they start to get a bad reputation because of all these "cash-ins" releases.  That would be a shame. Because they still make some of their best music ever.
:)

Yes, the last thing we need is another KISS! What a waste, why not try something new for once and release a best of the rest album that has nothing but songs on it that have never been on anything but the original album they were released on? I would buy that.

SneakySneaky said:
what annoys me is that music has become a damn business.

Music -- or at least recorded music -- has always been a business.  And, if people are buying the record, and enjoying it, what is the harm in that?  As for the notion that the band or its record label is "preying" on collectors -- if I were a collector who felt compelled to buy every Iron Maiden compilation on the market, who knows, maybe I would be giddy at the news of this release.  You know, because I enjoy collecting these things. 

EDIT:  Deano's "Best of the Rest" idea is actually intriguing.  I probably wouldn't buy it, either, because I own all the albums, but at least it breaks the mold. 

Hey, I'd buy it just to send the message: This kind of thing is what you should have been doing all along!

Slap a great DR cover on it and it would be great.

Damn, how many copies and versions of the song Iron Maiden does one need?

cornfedhick said:
Music -- or at least recorded music -- has always been a business.  And, if people are buying the record, and enjoying it, what is the harm in that?  As for the notion that the band or its record label is "preying" on collectors -- if I were a collector who felt compelled to buy every Iron Maiden compilation on the market, who knows, maybe I would be giddy at the news of this release.  You know, because I enjoy collecting these things. 
All right then,  if that be the case,  then have a free release of the album.  If you want to intrigue more people,  let them have it completely for free,  and if they like the music they can buy the other albums.  Is it that hard?  The songs on the official Alice Cooper myspace site are available for free dl (now only for myspace members,  but it used to be available for all),  I believe Muse have whole albums available for streaming,  and we know the bold move Radiohead made recently (and it wasn't even a best of). 

Besides,  as Perun said they're using the same arguments as before.  What is the need for this new album???

Are you fucking kidding me?  THREE non-single songs, and those were featured elsewhere as B-sides!  This is a fucking joke.  Are they seriously trying to suggest that Maiden have no unheard rarities, B-sides, covers, live songs, or demos to put on this?  This is laughable.  And the tracklist is so predictable...even Children of the Damned is a bit of a cert.

Nice artwork, though.

The Hermit said:
It's the 'collector' mentality that they're preying on.  Many fans want the 'complete' collection and someone is taking advantage of the fans by releasing these compilations.......What exactly does his one have to offer that makes it so different from previous releases.

I wonder how Albie would feel about this as he is a collector.

The Hermit said:
I hate the way that Rod says that young fans need introducing to this older material and is then amazed that they know the words to all the songs already...as he admits they do at the concerts......I wonder how they learn't the words?

Young fans who wish to purchase material can easily get any of their previous compilations.  You're right, EMI is pushing this, but this is nothing new in music business.

I'm surely not.  I only get compilations if I'm just starting to like the band, but I swore that I won't get any more for any band.

Back