What complete opposite end of the spectrum music do you listen to?

French "chanson": Georges Brassens, Jacques Brel, Renaud, Bénaber, William Sheller, Thomas Fersen, Jeanne Cherhal, L'Affaire Louis Trio, Alain Souchon, Laurent Voulzy...

I like basically everything to some extent, except for modern country and bluegrass.

To Pimp a Butterfly, not The Book of Souls, was my favorite album of 2015.

TBOS was a close #2 though.

I don't think the world of music is a spectrum.

As for non-rock genres, I listen to plenty. Jazz, hiphop, funk, electronic, pop, folk, classical, new age, whatever. Anything goes as long as it's good.

Almost anything except for Country music and as a grumpy old man I cannot stand the stuff my kids listen to on principal. In terms of current stuff that is non metal I really like Die Antwoord, Grimes and Janelle Monae.

I grew up with pop but the most non-rock is jazz now. I have dozens of John Coltrane, Miles Davis and McCoy Tyner albums. These guys were very productive and their albums had been available often for not too expensive prices. But I like many others artists as well.

I rarely listen to anything outside of rock and metal (which isn't that big of an accomplishment, seeing how broad these genres are), but since my wife prefers pop and poprock, I can't avoid that stuff entirely :)

I don't find anything appealing about hiphop and rap, and I really, really, really, really don't like electronic "music".

However, I do have a tremendous amount of admiration for Johnny Cash. I don't listen to his entire discography, but some of his songs are absolutely amazing. On top of that, he has a major contribution to probably the best known version of one of the best songs of all time, "Highwayman".

I'm currently very single-minded when it comes to music. It's usually either metal, classical music or Irish and Canadian folk. Within classical, it's mostly classical proper and late romantic. Maybe one day I'll get interested in something else again, but I don't see a reason to force it.

Country and country rock, folk rock, blues rock, all kinds of jazz, classic rock, AOR/soft rock/yacht rock, prog, classical (and especially opera, if you don't count that as a separate genre), funk, synth-pop (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark for the win!), jam bands, singer-songwriters (Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Al Stewart, Carole King), folk music (mainly from the Isles), Latin pop/rock, corridos, Latin jazz, movie soundtracks, baroque pop, hip hop, mbaqanga, crooners, big band, whatever Mike Oldfield is...

In fact, lately, I have been only very rarely listening to metal - I sometimes come back to Maiden or Dream Theater or Symph X or Angra or Blind Guardian (and I'm really looking forward to participating in the Devin Discussion Survivor, but in general it's a rather small percentage of the music I listen to.

However, which one of the above is the most "opposite" genre you'll have to pick for yourself, because I honestly don't know.

I don't find anything appealing about hiphop and rap, and I really, really, really, really don't like electronic "music".

Electronic music isn't "music", it's music. Conventionally, music consists of pitch, rhythm, dynamics and timbre. Electronic music features all of those elements.

A guitar is an instrument made to produce sound for musical purposes. A synthesizer is no different, neither is a drum machine. Amplifiers, pedals, microphones, audio converters, mixing consoles go into the sound of Iron Maiden. All electronic devices. Clearly the problem isn't the usage of electronic devices in music, so what gives?

Sure, but nowhere did I state that my problem with it relates to the devices it's made on. I also realise that "electronic music" as a genre is just as broad as pop, rock, metal and so on.
For the most part I just find it lacking in dynamics, proper songstructuring and the kind of interplay between musicians and their instruments, and so I struggle to find something I enjoy about it. Most of the time even good melodies comes across as walls of sound buried in weird noises.
I, of course, know that any other person could use this exact wording to describe the genres of music I DO like, so obviously it's all subjective, but that's my two cents :)

Back