What are your favorite / funniest / weirdest posts and threads on MaidenFans?

Was any reason given for why that thread was closed? It seems odd that a drunk posting thread would be fine, but a high posting thread would not... :huh:
“Sorry mate, regardless of everybody's personal opinion or preferences, weed is still illegal in most European countries.” ~Perun

“Sorry mate, regardless of everybody's personal opinion or preferences, weed is still illegal in most European countries.” ~Perun
If only the internet extended beyond the borders of Europe. Oh well...

Well we have lots of European members and even in the US there are many states where it isn’t legal (and is illegal on a federal level). We decided we didn’t want a thread promoting substances that are still illegal in many territories.

There's nothing more dumber than discussing weed or getting high while being high. It's like noob 16 y.o. highschool level. "Duuuuude we had a joint, like this big, last night"

There's nothing more dumber than discussing weed or getting high while being high. It's like noob 16 y.o. highschool level. "Duuuuude we had a joint, like this big, last night"
Oh, I don’t disagree with that at all. I’m not a pot guy myself, but the principle of “drunk posting OK, high posting bad” seemed odd and arbitrary.

If only the internet extended beyond the borders of Europe. Oh well...

You could see it the other way around, too.

Oh, I don’t disagree with that at all. I’m not a pot guy myself, but the principle of “drunk posting OK, high posting bad” seemed odd and arbitrary.

We didn't close the thread because we think weed is dumb, but because it is illegal in many countries our members are from. I thought that was pretty obvious.

There are exactly two countries in the world where pot sales are legal and two more where consumption is legal.
That ignores all of the legal nuances, of course. A person could just as easily throw out that marijuana use has been effectively decriminalized in over 50 countries, which paints a very different picture. But I don’t really have strong feelings on it, as I’m not a pot guy myself. It just seemed odd. I didn’t mean to drive things off topic.

You could see it the other way around, too.
Yes, this was a sarcastic reference to when you Euro-splained to me that the Internet didn’t only include Americans (which was obviously never in question), then tried to pretend that you hadn’t done that. In that context I thought the irony of your Eurocentric decision on the pot thread was a bit rich. But you do you, Perun.

In that context I thought the irony of your Eurocentric decision on the pot thread was a bit rich. But you do you, Perun.
Perun didn't make the decision to close the thread. The decision was made by the entire Mod Squad, including myself, Perun, Brigantium, and Mosh. And it was Mosh who pushed for the closure, so good luck calling him Eurocentric. It also wasn't a "Eurocentric" decision. It was made for a variety of nuanced reasons.

A person could just as easily throw out that marijuana use has been effectively decriminalized in over 50 countries, which paints a very different picture.
Except it doesn't, because marijuana has been legally decriminalized only in some of those countries. In others it's "tolerated" (ie, Netherlands). Furthermore, the vast majority of Maidenfans members come from nations that still have marijuana laws on the books. Myself and mckindog are pretty much the only active Canadians, we have one Croat, one Norwegian, and one Mexican. We have a lot more people from countries such as the USA and UK where pot use is still a crime.

One of the reasons we made the decision is because even if you're smokin' high and free in, say, Colorado, if you post about it and then the feds decide to go after you, they can grab that post and use it against you. And then Maidenfans has a liability for letting you make that post and encouraging you to make that post by having an "Official Thread". Which is why if you are posting about it in the 1M reply thread, it's more you talking about you. If it's an "official thread" or a posted and pinned thread, it's very easy for someone to make the argument that we encouraged "bad" behaviour.

Our job isn't just keeping this place clean of asshole-like behaviour, but also to protect Jon's investment and this common space from liability. That's why we don't allow the sharing of links to copyrighted material here and that's why we will continue to prohibit threads that encourage illicit behaviour. Once the majority of states (including the three countries most closely legally tied to this site, USA, UK, and Canada) have legalized marijuana fully, we can revisit the decision. Until then, no.

It is up to the moderators to enforce any grey area as they wish. For instance with pirate links the situation is that the IP owner cannot legally do anything against maidenfans if someone here just links to the site that links to the media, but maidenfans don't even want to get to the grey area (which is a perfectly sound choice). In Croatia weed is misdemeanor but I wouldn't harbour "show us how you parked your car where you shouldn't thread", or "how you got on the bus without paying a ticket thread" either. Furthermore, until we can legally trade buds over the forum, for me there's no point in having the thread.

And to be perfectly honest to the law, even if it is misdemeanor for the user, getting weed (non medical) is a crime. Because in a transaction, the one selling will be 90% charged with drug dealer felony, hence you participate in a criminal act.

Back