WHAMAGEDDON *insert current year*

I mean, it's really insane - I remember that the videotapes of me as a wee kid have Wham playing in the background in the Christmas parts on TV in the background. Yes, that means including the music video.

It's everywhere.

The Wham song is huge here. It’s not as big as Mariah Carey but it might as well be a close second. I have no idea how Diesel or Collin haven’t heard it.

And yes, assuming Last Christmas is the most popular Christmas song in Europe, All I Want For Christmas Is You is the American equivalent.

I was reading this thread from the start and saw above (4 years old) post. Believe it or not I wasn't sure which song was the Mariah one. So I went on YouTube and played it.

I liked it. Fit for purpose. Clean for-all-family video, Mariah still look sexy, properly presented for kids. Upbeat music, memorable, happy chorus. But most important is the lyrics: They are happy and positive. On contrast Wham's are melancholic and negative.

I totally not get how Wham has became such a classic with all this negativity. Oh wait, I do: The music is extremely catchy. It's like Mariah's song was very carefully crafted to be a Xmas classic whereas Wham's it was written as a love song.

I liked it. Fit for purpose. Clean for-all-family video, Mariah still look sexy, properly presented for kids. Upbeat music, memorable, happy chorus. But most important is the lyrics: They are happy and positive. On contrast Wham's are melancholic and negative.

I totally not get how Wham has became such a classic with all this negativity. Oh wait, I do: The music is extremely catchy. It's like Mariah's song was very carefully crafted to be a Xmas classic whereas Wham's it was written as a love song.

But that's it, really. I insist that both songs are really brilliant, very well written. Like I said previously in this thread, I even like Wham in general and there was a time when I actually had them on repeat for days.

But it's the oversaturation. With these two being everywhere every Christmas season, it's really easy to get sick of them. Between Love Actually re-making the Mariah song as a part of its emotional catharsis and my childhood being soundtracked by Wham like I wrote above, it's easy to understand all the hate.

It's the reception and the usage of the popular consciousness.
Well, IMHO, as usual.

I have managed to avoid it so far. Yesterday in the supermarket they played such god-awful Christmas music that my friend asked me if I was okay. (Apparently I had a pain-distorted face.) But "Last Christmas" was not playing.

Your back's against the wall ... :innocent:

#childrenofthewhammed

One less to worry about. Tomorrow's lunch cancelled due to all participants but me with Covid. It's crazy here right now, immune system of the Society is absolutely zero after 3 years of lock downs, literally half the city (13 million) are with Covid after 3 weeks we opened.

Still have Saturday and Sunday, both mall days. It will be tragic to get whammed the last minute but her birthday is on Xmas day, so I need to mall myself out big time.

Yes! At least something, as I already won 2 tickets for a carnival band in the Christmas raffle at work.

So, Christmas Day is upon us. Do we have any survivors?

Still a survivor, but I'm about to begin a Xmas day Mall Odyssey so not sure I'll be alive by the end of the day.

Yesterday I took my lady to a Mexican and as soon as we sat to order I was horrified with the Playlist. Xmas song after Xmas song, including Mariah (not that song, but a Xmas one nonetheless) I felt nervous and uncomfortable to stay there waiting my execution.
Thankfully the food sucked and we left in a record time.

An article about Whamming & Mariahmming translated from a local newspaper:

At Christmas 1989, an unpleasant surprise awaited Manuel Noriega – the drug lord and former CIA agent who had risen to the leadership of Panama. The US had invaded the country to overthrow its former partner and he had taken refuge in the Vatican embassy, where US marines were not allowed to enter.
To force him to surrender, military Humvees with huge speakers were parked around the embassy and began playing rock, punk and heavy metal songs over and over – including U2's “All I want is you” and “ I fought the law" performed by the Clash. As the BBC previously reported, the Pentagon was so proud of the idea that the playlist, which played non-stop for three 24-hour periods, has been preserved in the National Security Archive at George Washington University.

The US often uses similar practices in the torture centers it sets up in various parts of the world, despite the fact that the use of music on prisoners has been banned by the United Nations and the European Court of Human Rights, and is characterized as a "form of torture" by Amnesty International.
But what happens when the "prisoners" are the employees of a store who are forced to listen to the same songs every day for the duration of their shift? Apparently the volume of the music is not as strong and the variety of songs is noticeably greater. Or maybe not;

The first time I felt that the music of a store evoked torture was in a supermarket in Tokyo. Cheap speakers played the hysterical voice of a commercial about 15 seconds long. Then there would be a few seconds of extremely annoying music, which was distorted by the poor quality of the speakers, and the message would start again – from the morning until the supermarket closed at night. In the three to four minutes that I stayed in the place, I felt a strong sense of discomfort and irritation, while I looked in wonder at the employees who stoically endured the "torture" imposed by their employer.

Although such extreme cases are not often encountered in Europe and North America, more and more employees in retail stores complain about the constant repetition of the same songs. A few years ago Starbucks workers in Canada complained that the stores were constantly playing a song from the musical "Hamilton." "Next time I hear it, I'm going to take a ladder and rip out all the speakers," one employee told CBC radio. He, in fact, suggested creating a special complaint line at the labor inspectorate for such conditions.

The phenomenon always escalates at Christmas and New Year, when the musical repertoire is limited to holiday songs. An employee recently complained on Reddit that the store where he worked only played five different renditions of "Jingle Bells" and wished that "the person who made that playlist is going to do something really bad." The Wall Street Journal conducted a survey a few days ago on the reactions of workers around the world to songs like "All I want for Christmas is you", by Mariah Carey. "Every time I hear it I hide in the warehouse until it's over," Kia Coleman, who works at a department store in London, told the paper.

It should be noted that at the time of writing there are at least three petition campaigns underway on change.org to ban the broadcast of this particular song in public places.
Paradoxically, according to several advertisers the constant repetition of the same songs does not necessarily have a positive effect on sales, while in some cases it irritates customers - especially in department stores where they spend more time and are forced to listen to the entire list of songs.

So why would a store "torture" customers and employees at the same time? Many times overseas retail chains are "forced" to choose short lists with few songs, because in this way they pay less to copyright management companies - that is, it is a conscious degradation of working conditions decided by managers, who do not spend all their time in the store.
Apparently for tens of thousands of employees around the world who are experiencing inhumane working conditions these days, repetitive music may be the last of their problems. Even on a symbolic level, however, it comes to remind us that many large companies treat employees as just another piece of capital equipment, devoid of feelings and needs.

Happy holidays, then, with two wishes: Let's stop buying from stores that "torture" their workers. And… no more Mariah Carey.

Man I walked through hell and made it alive! Spent 5+ hours in the most chic Malls & corners of the city, Xmas day and didn't die.

But got that close

So we've make the bulk of our Xmas Mall campaign and went to the hottest quarter of the city to grab something and explore some other Malls there. Take a look where we were. You can tell from this photo this is exactly the place you expect to listen Wham or Mariah, thus I'm wearing my noise cancelling earphones + playlist to eliminate the danger.

IMG_8427.jpeg

Anyway we found to sit somewhere inside and we ask for the menu. I'm pausing the music to taste the waters.. Cool, it's jazz playing in the restaurant, seemed safe so I put my earphones away.

2 minutes later...

As I'm reading the menu, I'm hearing a familiar music like coming from the depth of the ocean (or if you saw the Inception the Edith Piaf song Rien de Rien) and progressively the sound increases:
Last Xmas I gave you my heaart, but the very next daaaaay.. no god why nooo!!
I'm devastated, I'm loosing the earth under my feet, my heart is broken but then.. Wait. I'm noticing some slight differences in the performance.. I'm in limbo I can't tell for sure if it's a cover or not. I need professional help: Smartphone, unlocking, SoundHound App on.

Fuck yeah it's just a stupid cover, I'm still alive, I'm still fucking alive! :clap::D

As you can guess, I spend the rest of my time outside with my earphones on, noise cancelling mode + playlist. :D:D
This gave me peace of mind as far as Wham is concerned but had some tensions with my lady as she was wearing mask and couldn't tell even if she was talking to me, let alone when she was asking me things.

I spend the last few hours between the hammer and the anvil but thank god I survived both.

Below the Last Xmas cover that caught me off guard with the time stamp of my incident:

IMG_8425.PNG

guest_1672051667_1338689329.jpg

Last edited:
Back