Weekend Warrior

How good is Weekend Warrior on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Weekend Warrior' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'weekend Warrior'

Mav, are you the one who vote for 4 stars?? If so, good for you!!! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Finally someone who shares taste for this fantastic piece of art. People on the IMBB kept bashing the bloody song over and over until it bleed like hell till i was pissed off. [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Sure the song may not me typical maiden but it sounds so good that i kept rewinding it over and over again. The solos are great but not the best and check out the harmony after the first solo....awesome!!!! Great to see someone respecting this song.

'weekend Warrior'

It is actually a pretty good song, and quite sadly very much under-rated.

My vote's a 4-star indeed! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'weekend Warrior'

Frankly, I don't like the song at all, it's the worst on the album and among the worst they ever wrote. The solo part has some interesting moments, but that's it.

'weekend Warrior'

yeah i think this is the worst maiden song ever written with bruce. the lyrics are like a joke...isnt this song about soccer (football for the rest of the world, sorry) and how "dangerous" it can be ("maybe someone will die...") ...wtf? seems like maiden ran out of ideas for the FOTD album and just wanted to add another song for the hell of it. this should have been a b-side IMO.

however, i am giving it 3 stars because the solos and harmonies and all the music parts are great! my only gripe is the lyrics.

'weekend Warrior'

I wonder why the "Weekend Warrior haters' bandwagon" started up. I think the song is great, especially the solos and harmonies. Funny how 'Arry didn't mention West Ham! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Re: 'Weekend Warrior'

Am I the only person who thought that the lyrics to this song sounded a lot like they were about playing Dungeons And Dragons on the weekend?

Daily Song: Weekend Warrior

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Weekend Warrior

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Oy vey. Bruce, Bruce, is this the track you sound worst on? I think it might be. This track is a failure from start to finish. The subject is very shallow and handled with a poor approach. The music is, to my ears, bland. Nicko's drumming is far worse here than it is on the (over) maligned-Virtual XI, and the song doesn't sound like more than one guitar is needed.

2/10. I want to give it a 1, but it's no The Apparition. Just, very, very close.

Re: Daily Song: Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior. Nicko touches his toms more often on this track than on the whole VXI album so the drumming isn't that dull. Rhythmically, this song is not complicated so what do we expect?

The verses have some AC/DC touch, and there might be too many of them (maybe because 'Arry had to put his lyrics somewhere?) and I understand that the pre-chorus -> "what you're gonna do... on MON dayyyy" <- is hard to bear.

On the other hand, I like the message, I like the chorus, and most important: this track contains very sophisticated instrumentation. More often than in The Fugitive, we can hear beautiful acoustic guitars, together with electric rhythm guitars.

I always look forward to Dave's solo (worth alone to not skip this track!) which sounds constructed really well, as opposed to his often improvised solos he is famous for. Then follows a fine harmony accompanied with the returning acoustic guitars. Janick's solo does not sound as clear and melodic as Dave's but it fits well to the part.

Between 6,5 and 7

I like the verses, but the chorus lacks in awesomess... Solos aren't great either.

4/10.

Oy vey indeed. This track is god awful. The solo are nice, and the interlude is ok, but Bruce sounds like crap. All of this is still ok though. What I really, REALLY hate about this one is that it's about SOCCER. WAT. Why soccer? honestly, it's a sucky subject for a song, and it shows.

2/10. If I had listened to it before voting I would have wanted to give it a 5 for the music, but this song doesn't deserve it. SOCCER!?

Intellect shines again.

It's about football hooliganism, not about football itself, and surely not about soccer (this is not an American band).
Steve Harris is passionate about football and expressed his concern about its dark side.

He did that in an interesting way, addressing the ones who are looking forward to trouble, every weekend.
And he shows well how people change when the weekend is over, morphing back into their normal job again, like nothing has happened, and then when the next weekend comes, it starts again.

Foro, do you really feel the need to insult me every time I express my opinion? I mean really, every time I say something you call my intelligence into question.

And yeah, this song is about football, it's about fans of football, so yeah.
Either way the subject is uninteresting and doesn't matter to anyone who's not into sports.

The subject matter deserves a massive 9 from me and I agree with Foro - it is done in an interesting way. But the song itself is just not up to it. It's just a bit too, well, predictable. However, I have spent time in the past listening to this track and really enjoying it so, 5/10.

Mega said:
Foro, do you really feel the need to insult me every time I express my opinion? I mean really, every time I say something you call my intelligence into question.

And yeah, this song is about football, it's about fans of football, so yeah.
Either way the subject is uninteresting and doesn't matter to anyone who's not into sports.

Well, opinions or not, I am really beginning to get annoyed by such unrespectful posts, lacking any form of understanding for a subject.

My post wasn't exactly tolerant either, but you can see it as a reaction. I'll do my best, and you may know I don't do it for the fun of it (I am not like that).

This subject has not much to do with sport itself, more with the social behaviour of some of its supporters.
That can also be interesting for people who are not into football.

6 out of 10... Bruce's vocal really brings my rating down on this one, but I don't mind the tune itself. Both solos are good, the song moves along well, but Bruce sounds like shit.

It's not that football hooliganism is a bad subject, but I find the lyrics themselves to be very shallow. This is the first, second album where social subjects are being written about...unfortunately, I find the majority of Maiden's "social" songs to be very poorly written lyrically. It doesn't get much better when they are talking about depression (2 AM), crime (Age of Innocence). Virus is not so bad, but is very angry.

7. AC/DC and The Who seems to have been big sources of inspiration for the band, in the early 90's; the instrumental section, once again, is brilliant.

Back