Wasted Years

How good is Wasted Years on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A nice, catchy song, with surprisingly much emotion. The vocal problem I thought a heard from the last track are not as evident here.
The riff is classic, and the chorus is great, even if I think it's a little to happy sounding.

8/10

A brilliant, addictive song. But I feel there's something lacking here, especially compared to the rest of the album. So, only a...

9/10

A nice, lightweight breather on an album that is otherwise quite dark. It stands out, it's catchy and is one of the "classics" I could listen to over and over again. There's just something very 80's about it (the chorus, specifically) and I mean it in a good way.
I'm tempted to say it has my favourite H's solo (though, maybe not), even better is the way it's connected with that final chorus. 8/10, but a strong 8 it is.

Great song. Fun all over. 10/10, because I think it's the best pop song Iron Maiden ever wrote (meaning that in the best possible way).

Never thought much of the lyrics until someone mentioned to me that it was Adrian's experience of touring. BOOM! So heartfelt lyrics, and even though it's a very commercial sounding song it definitely isn't banal. I liked it at first, then I liked other songs more, and now I'm back, understanding it more and valuing it among the best songs they've ever done.

Utterly fantastic song.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years

10/10

Adrian’s slinky, John Carpenter-esque riff opens Wasted Years, probably the most radio-friendly Maiden tune. The guitars show signs of 80’s glitz, but that doesn’t stop the song from sounding fantastic. It’s an ode to touring and to missing important moments in your life, yet never letting the pressure get to you because just when you think times can’t get worse you realize that times have never been better. Adrian Smith is all over this track, with a prominent backing vocal during the chorus and a gorgeous solo. Wasted Years became a staple at gigs because it is a perfect arena rock song.

A bit of a more commercial (for Maiden's standards) tune, but still a great one. The chorus is anthemic but the verses aren't filler either. It's a bit refreshing too, musically. Where most Maiden songs tend to stick with one key (and in a lot of cases, one chord progression), this one plays around with a couple key changes and the chord changes really keep you guessing at times. The guitar riff is simple, yet really enjoyable and I love Steve Harris' fills during the recap of the intro before Adrian's solo. And yes, Adrian's solo is perfection. If anybody wants to know how to construct a rock guitar solo, Wasted Years is how to do it. I've always found it ironic that this is by far the most commercial song on the album, yet it's one of the few on here with no synthesizers to be found.
Also one of the classics I still enjoy hearing live.

Cool! As if we're there! You hear what Adrian hears or better: we hear the sounds in his environment while he records those vocals (the fly on the wall perspective ;) ).
Special to me is that the vocals and guitars (and guitar synth) were recorded in the Netherlands!

Now Bruce:

Check @2:35 hahaha!!

In theory I should like this song more than I do because I generally like the catchier and more radio friendly side of Maiden. But I think it's perhaps a touch too lightweight and I'm not keen on Bruce's vocal, it seems a tad too high.

Nevertheless it's quite anthemic and I'm a huge Adrian fan and this feels very much his song, lyrically and musically and that's great.

10/10 This is probably my favorite Maiden song right now. There isn't much else I can say that hasn't already been said about how great it is. It's pretty catchy for Iron Maiden, but still has a great drive. It's always a treat to play on the guitar, too. :ok:

It's nice that you guys are rating this song, but it would be even nicer if you rated all the songs.

Back