Wasted Years

How good is Wasted Years on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
9 out of 10... This is perhaps the Iron Maiden tune I find running through my head the most. I loved this song the first time I heard it, and it has only grown in stature as I have aged along side it. A quick story... Powerslave had been the first Iron Maiden album I had bought that I was disapointed in (somewhat). A big part of that album just didn't blow my hair back as the previous four albums had. When I heard Wasted Years introduced on the radio as the new Iron Maiden single, all was immediately forgiven and forgotten. This new single was as good or better than anything I had heard (I still think this) by the band, and I thought the lyrics showed a maturing side of Maiden. Turned out that the album was pretty damned good too... This song still ranks among my all time favorites...

I can't give it a ten because I like the last three songs better, but this is my third favorite Maiden single behind Evil That Men Do and The Trooper.

8. The first Maiden hit I heard when of the release date. A majestic song, with sincere lyrics and also of timeless meaning; musically, it was Maiden taking avenues never thought they would after the aggressive, massive and gigantic Powerslave. One of Adrian's three single compositions, this is not his best, but it became an immortal Heavy Metal hit. :edmetal:

Another classic song from Somewhere In Time. It was my favorite Iron Maiden song until I heard Hallowed Be Thy Name. Adrian really shines on this one. They should play this in concerts more often. 10/10.

I was gonna give this a 9 and then I thought, what the heck I'll give it a 10. It's a  great song one of my favorites, and has a great guitar solo and one of Maiden's best choruses ever. Praise H. 10/10

Ten. Wasted Years just has that something in it. The solo is great! Gotta love H's songs in this album.

10/10, My Favourite maiden single by far, a really uplifting song, excellent lyrics, vocals and guitar work. 

Apparently they wanted to make fun of lip-syncing. H is acting serious because it's his song  :D
On the other hand, they did "serious" lip-syncing around 1986, too. One could wonder why they did that...

I never thought much of this song, now that I'm re-listening it is an amazing song with a great solo. There's alot of meaning in this song, 10.

Yeah, me too.
Not sure if it's as good as the Damone one, which I also enjoy.
What really caught me ear though was the Rob Flynn version Sabbaths Die Young referenced in the comments.
I've always thought Wasted Years had potential for that kind of take, never thought of Die Young in that role though. Really touching version.

Onhell said:
It's a cool take on one of my favourites... I love coming across these atypical covers...
mckindog said:
Not sure if it's as good as the Damone one, which I also enjoy.
What really caught me ear though was the Rob Flynn version Sabbaths Die Young referenced in the comments.
I've always thought Wasted Years had potential for that kind of take, never thought of Die Young in that role though. Really touching version.
Agree that the Damone version is even better, and that Die Young cover is just fucking incredible... he made that tune his own...

Back