Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

I wish Tony Martin (British) of Black Sabbath "Headless Cross" fame would have auditioned. Definitely could hit the high notes, and IMHO, could have given enough of a rough edge to handle Maiden.

I wish Tony Martin (British) of Black Sabbath "Headless Cross" fame would have auditioned. Definitely could hit the high notes, and IMHO, could have given enough of a rough edge to handle Maiden.
I love the Tony Martin era in Sabbath but already in the early nineties he could not hit the high notes anymore. They even played the vocals in the chorus from Headless Cross from tape, live.

Thanks again @Welsh Phantom. I like the interviews on this channel. So... would you accept a German singer in Maiden? Any opinions on Kiske's opinion that the British are nationalistic and would not accept German singers?

So... would you accept a German singer in Maiden? Any opinions on Kiske's opinion that the British are nationalistic and would not accept German singers?

The main problem is that for a native speaker Kiske (and many other non-native speakers) would sound odd. Some of the non-English speakers singing in English sound like Bruce Dickinson when he sang the Spanish version of Man of Sorrows.

I love the Tony Martin era in Sabbath but already in the early nineties he could not hit the high notes anymore. They even played the vocals in the chorus from Headless Cross from tape, live.

Thanks again @Welsh Phantom. I like the interviews on this channel. So... would you accept a German singer in Maiden? Any opinions on Kiske's opinion that the British are nationalistic and would not accept German singers?

If he sounded good singing Maiden I would like it. Simple as that. Whether he would have been a good fit ......who knows? But not being British .... or specifically German ... I couldn't care less! ;)

I see a different tolerance level in your posts, guys. ;)

Nothing to do with tolerance as I could not care less about the nationality. I do care about the accent and many singers sound terrible to a native speaker when singing on a different language than their mother tongue (e.g. Bruce Dickinson singing in Spanish).

Anyway, even with his accent I would have chosen Kiske over Blaze Bayley! :D

Last edited:
Was there an outcry among English fans when Priest replaced Halford with an American?

Fair enough. To me it sounds odd, to others it doesn't matter.
Yeah, there's a limit to how much and what kind of accent I can accept on the vocals. Dialectical differences in the British diaspora are fine (and hey, aside from Depeche Mode and Jesus Jones you almost all sound American when you're singing anyway!), and for whatever reason Germans singing in English generally do a good job, but it gets more hit and miss beyond that. If it throws me out of the music, that's too much.

This subject always gets around Kiske, Doogie White, Steve Grimmett and other vocalists rumoured to have auditioned or sent a tape.

How about Russ North, ex Cloven Hoof? It looks like Russ made the final two, along with Blaze Bayley.

Check Russ's wikipedia page:

"North also reached the final two in the auditions to replace Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden in 1993, joining Blaze Bayley at bassist Steve Harris's house. Bayley, who was already a friend of the band and a member of Iron Maiden's own football team, won through, while North went to live in Spain."

Never heard about Russ being so close to replace Bruce before...

Back