Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

Kurika

Prowler
This subject always gets around Kiske, Doogie White, Steve Grimmett and other vocalists rumoured to have auditioned or sent a tape.

How about Russ North, ex Cloven Hoof? It looks like Russ made the final two, along with Blaze Bayley.

Check Russ's wikipedia page:

"North also reached the final two in the auditions to replace Bruce Dickinson in Iron Maiden in 1993, joining Blaze Bayley at bassist Steve Harris's house. Bayley, who was already a friend of the band and a member of Iron Maiden's own football team, won through, while North went to live in Spain."

Never heard about Russ being so close to replace Bruce before...

Niall Kielt

Pulled Her At The Bottle Top
Never heard this before either. I like Cloven Hoof and Russ' voice but, to me, he has an old school metal voice and I think Steve was looking for something different; more modern, more 90s, so I can see why Blaze won out. And I'm glad, to be fair. I've always seen Maiden as a band apart from all the other 80s metal bands, both in quality and style and production. For them to have gotten a trad metal singer in the operatic 80s vein would have been a step back, in my opinion. Not saying he wouldn't have been good but, well, it would have almost seemed like a cover band.

Kurika

Prowler
Never heard this before either. I like Cloven Hoof and Russ' voice but, to me, he has an old school metal voice and I think Steve was looking for something different; more modern, more 90s, so I can see why Blaze won out. And I'm glad, to be fair. I've always seen Maiden as a band apart from all the other 80s metal bands, both in quality and style and production. For them to have gotten a trad metal singer in the operatic 80s vein would have been a step back, in my opinion. Not saying he wouldn't have been good but, well, it would have almost seemed like a cover band.
Totally agree with you, Niall

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
By the way, the video seems to have been shot where IM took the booklet pictures of Fear of the Dark.

John Silver

Electric Buddy
Oh and I'll tell you another thing about that Cloven Hoof video.

That is how a Maiden video would have looked like had Dickinson been in charge of their art direction mid-80's.
Ultra goofy fencing in ultra kitsch castle ruin.

The only difference would have been pants bulging with a....

Sock.

SixesAlltheway

Ancient Mariner
It seems Russ North has more in common with Paul Di' Anno than you'd think....:facepalm: :cheers:

"North was dramatically sacked by Cloven Hoof in 2012, following an appearance in Cyprus where he was too drunk to even stand on stage."

Last edited:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Sorry man but he is horrible.
he WAS... nowdays he's singing 1000 times better than back in 1995.
Kiske was by far the best pick... I don't care if he's german.(while singing his accent is almost absent).
DT Number of the Beast live album is a disgrace regarding vocal performance (and LaBrie also ruined the To Tame A Land cover they did)
Doogie would be a good fit. Tony Martin would have been a nice pick too.
André Matos accent absolutely tosses him out of discussion

But hell....... no one beats this dude (still some words with accent though). This is even BRUCIER than BRUCE:

Last edited: