Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Kalata, Apr 2, 2018.

1. johnglen

johnglen Trooper

Kiske would have been the best by far. Amazing singer (soft voice my ass) could hit all the high notes with ease (and actually his English accent was out of this world even when he was 17 and made the first album with Helloween), amazing frontman at that time with a really commanding stage presence and, let’s be honest, a great physical appearance. He could probably rejuvenate Iron Maiden and made Harris make some albums in the epic style of 7th son though Harris had obviously gone to the deep end in the nineties, as most eighties bands and musicians had , from Metallica to Judas Priest, and didn’t know what musical approach Iron Maiden should take in that difficult, for classic metal, decade.

I wouldn’t mind blaze if Harris was 100% committed which means making the x-factor in an expensive studio with a great producer and thus a great sound . That album was buried by its production, the songs sounded 10000000 times better live though Blaze would always face the problem of not being able to sing Dickinson’s songs.

2. Ariana

Ariana Black-and-white leopard

:lol:

3. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

That was funny, wasn't it? :lol:

4. GSW23MaidenFan

GSW23MaidenFan Invader

I wish Tony Martin (British) of Black Sabbath "Headless Cross" fame would have auditioned. Definitely could hit the high notes, and IMHO, could have given enough of a rough edge to handle Maiden.

evil_ash likes this.
  5. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

I'd preferred Tony Dolan (British). No luck though. Too many bass guitars I guess.

6. GSW23MaidenFan

GSW23MaidenFan Invader

Demolition Man, LOL

Magnus likes this.
  7. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Ancient Mariner

The truth re Michael Kiske when Bruce left Maiden is at 14 min 18s

evil_ash likes this.
  8. evil_ash

evil_ash Trooper

Thanks for sharing, that was an excellent listen :)

Welsh Phantom likes this.
  9. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I love the Tony Martin era in Sabbath but already in the early nineties he could not hit the high notes anymore. They even played the vocals in the chorus from Headless Cross from tape, live.

Thanks again @Welsh Phantom. I like the interviews on this channel. So... would you accept a German singer in Maiden? Any opinions on Kiske's opinion that the British are nationalistic and would not accept German singers?

GSW23MaidenFan and Welsh Phantom like this.
  10. GhostofCain

The main problem is that for a native speaker Kiske (and many other non-native speakers) would sound odd. Some of the non-English speakers singing in English sound like Bruce Dickinson when he sang the Spanish version of Man of Sorrows.

11. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Ancient Mariner

If he sounded good singing Maiden I would like it. Simple as that. Whether he would have been a good fit ......who knows? But not being British .... or specifically German ... I couldn't care less! ;)

12. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I see a different tolerance level in your posts, guys. ;)

13. GhostofCain

Nothing to do with tolerance as I could not care less about the nationality. I do care about the accent and many singers sound terrible to a native speaker when singing on a different language than their mother tongue (e.g. Bruce Dickinson singing in Spanish).

Anyway, even with his accent I would have chosen Kiske over Blaze Bayley! :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  14. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Was there an outcry among English fans when Priest replaced Halford with an American?

15. Edington

Edington More Than Two Problems

Also, are we forgetting that Janick is part Polish?

16. GhostofCain

Not as far as I can remember.

17. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Tolerance towards accent. ;)
    Alright!

18. No. Listen to his solos. Total shit.

19. GhostofCain

Fair enough. To me it sounds odd, to others it doesn't matter.

Anyway, some non-native speakers mastered the art of not having a noticeable accent when singing. A certain Farrokh Bulsara comes to mind. ;)

20. Jer

Jer CriedWhenJanickStayed

Yeah, there's a limit to how much and what kind of accent I can accept on the vocals. Dialectical differences in the British diaspora are fine (and hey, aside from Depeche Mode and Jesus Jones you almost all sound American when you're singing anyway!), and for whatever reason Germans singing in English generally do a good job, but it gets more hit and miss beyond that. If it throws me out of the music, that's too much.