Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

I could live without any of those songs, to be honest. I do credit Man on the Edge on making me watch Falling Down, which was a fun little flick with a message that kind of completely contradicts the song's lyrics.

Although in the beginning I didn't like Blaze's songs with Iron Maiden, now I am quite fond of his stuff; Lord Of The Flies, Man On the Edge, Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide and The Clansman I consider to be amazing songs, particularly the last one.

Man on the Edge is good, but it’s the weakest Blaze song after I Live My Way. Also the only one to dip below a 9/10 from his albums with the band.

Kiske was asked about it once, and he confirmed it was just a rumour. IIRC the rumour originated because Harris said something positive about Kiske somewhere.
I can‘t really imagine LaBrie wanted to become Maiden‘s singer. Yeah, he was awesome on I&W and Awake. I don’t like the whole band on these cover versions, especially Portnoy‘s drumming is surprisingly boring.
I felt their playing was a little too clean. I usually point to it as a prime example of how important the rhythm section is in Maiden.

I’m sure I remember an interview with Smith back in the day where he said he got the first singer, Solli, for Psycho Motel from a recommendation from Harris who had received an audition tape from Soli for the Maiden position.

Although in the beginning I didn't like Blaze's songs with Iron Maiden, now I am quite fond of his stuff; Lord Of The Flies, Man On the Edge, Futureal, When Two Worlds Collide and The Clansman I consider to be amazing songs, particularly the last one.

Well, I consider Sign of the Cross and The Clansman as a classics and masterpieces ;)

Kiske is a very good singer and back in '93 he was 25 years old (at his prime) and maybe he would have done well with the Maiden songs, but especially with his high voice a song like Hallowed Be Thy Name - he would suffer. Aces High would be hard for him too.

Kiske is a very good singer and back in '93 he was 25 years old (at his prime) and maybe he would have done well with the Maiden songs

I saw Helloween (and therefore Kiske) live in 1988. His whole stage act was a Bruce Dickinson imitation. He was the first person I thought of as a replacement for Bruce when the job opening arose in '93.

Ralf scheepers of Primal fear?
According to biographical interviews about Gamma Ray (his or Hansen's), he did audition for Judas Priest around 1995-96 (and finished close second apparently) but there has never been any mention of Iron Maiden as far as I know (in 1994, Gamma Ray was touring its third album, Insanity and Genius, a quantum leap in quality compared to the first two.

I’m pretty sure Damien Wilson auditioned for Maiden too. In fact he was asked by the band to audition rather than sending them a tape. He would have definitely been my choice with Doogie White a close second. Just googled it to double check and found this very funny snippet lol.

“He was approached by Iron Maiden to audition and considered as a replacement for the departing Bruce Dickinson in the 1990s. Around the same time he mistakenly auditioned for what he believed to be Slayer, but was in fact Slade. “

What on earth was he thinking there. His voice is far too good to shout out the slayer songs. Surely this must be a joke but it was taken from a biography on Damien Wilson.

I did like blaze and still like the stuff maiden did with him. I’d put x-factor up there in my top 5 maiden albums. What I never understood though is that steve has said in interviews around the time and after that he was looking for something a bit different and not a Bruce clone. Great, and the x-factor seemed to acknowledge this yet the band never seemed to want to change they way they played the older material to fit blazes lower range! If you don’t want a Bruce clone then don’t expect the guy you get to handle the Bruce material in the same way Bruce did.

Marco Hietala (Tarot, Nightwish...) did send an audition tape; he confirmed this in his his book. Obviously, he wasn't really considered since he wasn't British and all, but I suppose he was one of the strong ones anyway. If I recall correctly, Steve said somewhere that one of those who auditioned was from Scandinavia (strictly speaking, Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia though) and sounded a bit like a mix between Bruce and Dio. It could have been Marco, but of course this cannot be confirmed.
I can confirm that.

Back