USA Politics

That goes to the age old question of punishment versus rehabilitation.  On a system wide basis, you really need both.  For example, you should push Charles Manson, but an 18 year old with a 2 year sentence, you should probably try to rehabilitate.  My understanding is getting a GED is not all that hard to do in prison in the US, but in a bad economy a GED does not get you too far and even less far with a prison record on top of it. 

bearfan said:
That goes to the age old question of punishment versus rehabilitation.  On a system wide basis, you really need both.  For example, you should push Charles Manson, but an 18 year old with a 2 year sentence, you should probably try to rehabilitate.  My understanding is getting a GED is not all that hard to do in prison in the US, but in a bad economy a GED does not get you too far and even less far with a prison record on top of it. 

I saw a great documentary on prisons and how they have morphed from simple holding cells while awaiting execution to social rehabilitation centers (to say it politely). Oddly enough, it was the U.S that began the trend of Prison's as reformation, rather than punishment/wait till you die institutions. And even odder... It was began by QUAKERS, yup RELIGIOUS people wanted to "fix" sinners rather than put them to death, shun them, or just let them rot.

Granted their methods back in the day weren't all that great and frankly, not much progress has been made (in the U.S) as far as rehabilitating and education offenders to prevent repeat offenses.

Forostar said:
Then how do you declare the following?

See the next sentence that I wrote that you DIDN'T quote.  There is no political penalty for passing mandatory minimum laws, particularly for drug crimes.  Many of these were passed when drug crime was truly a problem, and movies like Boys In The Hood (too lazy to look up the ebonic spelling) scared the shit out of white people.  Now, even though most people are less concerned about the issue, there is still no incentive for politicians to pass laws that are easier on drug criminals.  All that said, I think violent criminals SHOULD be locked up for a long, long time.  Not because of blame or punishment, but purely for public safety.  Most Americans don't particularly care WHY someone raped a woman or shot someone while robbing a liquor store, they just don't want him to do it again.  Are other countries REALLY more anxious than the U.S. to get those criminals back on the streets?  I doubt it.  

Wasted CLV said:
You can't take only two items of data and have a sound basis for a theory.  

I have one thing to ask, and I would like a straight answer from you, Foro, on this: Who do we let free?  I believe you are saying that our justice system is to focused on making some one 'pay the piper' and that people in our prisons are there unjustly, so I want to know, if we have 23% of the worlds prison population, 754 out of 100,000 of our people in prison, what 600 people per 100k need to be let free to roam the streets as if they did nothing against society.  That is all I want to know.

Bingo.  
Onhell said:
frankly, not much progress has been made (in the U.S) as far as rehabilitating and education offenders to prevent repeat offenses.

There is the unattractive possibility that some people are sociopaths who just can't be rehabilitated.  

cornfedhick said:
There is the unattractive possibility that some people are sociopaths who just can't be rehabilitated. 

Oh I agree, not even a possibility, but a reality, but I doubt that the sociopathic population of the U.S is that much higher than in other countries. I'm talking about simple petty and not so petty thieves that don't even have a GED. I'm talking about people that have done time are stigmatized for life and employers refuse to give them a second chance often giving them little choice, but to re-offend....

Wasted CLV said:
I don't know-- I haven't read anything that suggests that one part of the USA is more prone to AIDS than another-- I mean, possibly a very urban area is more likely because there are more people, but in the USA, the rural areas are less likely to have HIV.

Urban, UNEDUCATED areas in the US have higher AIDS/HIV related issues. Education in the US is not equal. Not even close, and it definitely plays a big factor.

There is this city... I wont name it as I do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings, especially the uneducated-but-dont-realize-it or the educated and feel I am lumping them in to this figure (which I am not)... that has a 38% adult illiteracy rate (as of 2002 studies). This is a pretty big city.

The same lack of education also shows in their closemindedness, the hate and bigotry, the murders per capita and the excessive drug use - oh, and AIDS/HIV issues.
bearfan said:
I do not think it is a great mystery why the US prison population is so high, the war on drugs, which other countries are not waging.   Remove minor drug offenders and the US prison population would be in synch with the rest of the free world.

Good plan, but lets go farther. One would need to decriminalize a lot of that stuff, allow reasonable taxation and regulations, and so on (or something along similar lines). That would make any user be treated the same as say... an alcoholic or social drinker (or as someone who doesnt drink). It would mean no drug turf wars (and related crimes), cleaner "supplies" and at least a small portion of funding going back into fixing the broken system (heck maybe a big chunk of dough... less spent on the "war on drugs", less spent on imprisoning pot smokers, weed growers & sellers, etc, less spent in the courts, plus a little tax revenue coming in).

I would be fine de-criminilizing pot, but I do not see that happening with harder drugs.  Though neither will happen anytime soon, if California would not vote for it, who will?  I tend to doubt that even if all drugs were made legal that crime would suddenly go away, criminal organizations will find something else to do.  I again will state I am in favor of not putting people in jail at this time for simply have drugs or having small amounts.

Forostar said:
When Graffin was asked to mention the planets from the solar system, he did it the opposite order the teacher expected him to do. That is not wrong. It's a choice. The teacher tries to interrupt him but Greg just continues til he's done.

Still he got punished because he didn't listen. Don't forget: He gave the right answer, namely: mention all the planets in our solar system.

You're saying that like it was an American thing. Did the author of your book say how he got punished? I.e. physically, or with bad grades? If bad grades is the answer, then that is no different from what is happening in Germany. My brother once had an English vocabulary test, and the required vocabulary was the translation for bequem, which can mean comfortable or easy, with no difference in the meaning. My brother wrote comfortable, the required answer was easy and it was marked as a mistake.
If he got punished physically, I don't think that would be normally accepted in America either.

Wasted CLV said:
OK, I'm gonna take a firmer stance on this one.  Organizations such as this can say whatever they want.  I can start an organization tomorrow "Wasted's Victim's Rights Activist Outlook" and say that I believe countries that harbor criminals and that don't put them in prison are contributing to the downfall of political integration between nations.  Is this true?  How can I substantiate that?  ...how do they back up what they are saying.  Of course, they feel that we should all kiss and make up and people shouldn't be in jail.

I'm going to have to argue against that. It's not like a major organisation like Human Rights Watch does not base its statements on hard facts. They don't just say whatever they want, they make sure it is properly referenced from reliable sources. Of course, their interpretation is somewhat biased, and of course they interpret the facts according to their mission. But what they say certainly has substance.

Forostar said:
I am not going to be responsible for your own judgement on research. If you mistrust data and research we can stop this discussion already.

If you use arguments in a discussion, you must accept that people will question them. That is the whole point in a discussion. Your task in this case is to defend them, not by responding emotionally, but to bring forth arguments to counter their objections. If you think that one argument or one source speaks the whole truth, then it's time to end the discussion.

You say:
"Countries that have a low level of belief in god are more likely to let criminals go free, because they don't give a shit."  --for example.

You could, but I prefer it if you would back it up with some figures.

He said he could say it. It was more of a piece of polemics than an actual argument.

Wasted CLV said:
Well, in essence, I'm saying the same thing.  You have figures that say one thing, without looking at anything else.  Your statistics say that people with a lower rate of belief are more likely to have lower prison rates.  OK, great and all, but there is far more to it.  I'm not saying I disbelieve those figures, I'm saying there is more to it than that.  There are other factors involved.  You can't take only two items of data and have a sound basis for a theory.  I can say that people in airline crashes are more likely to die than people in car crashes, and I would be 100% correct.  From that data I could say you shouldn't fly--But I also know that flight is still far safer than driving.  All I am saying is that, as correct as that data is, there is too much more involved.  These countries don't live in a vacuum-- too many other influences on them than religion.

Quoted for emphasis, also note SMX's post after this one for an illustration.

bearfan said:
I do not think it is a great mystery why the US prison population is so high, the war on drugs, which other countries are not waging.   Remove minor drug offenders and the US prison population would be in synch with the rest of the free world.

I disagree: Other countries are waging the war on drugs. But they use different methods. It is true that the US are criminalising drugs on a much earlier state than other countries do, so more people go to prison in the US for drug consume than elsewhere, in countries that are using different methods.
However, it is certainly true that the US is simply a bigger market for drugs. It has a bigger population and many more bigger cities than most other European countries, for instance, so there is much more crime related to that.

Let's not forget that a lot of crime happens in major urban areas, and the US simply has more and bigger of those than any given European country except Russia. While Germany or the Netherlands are certainly very urbanised countries, their cities are not nearly as large as some American ones.

To take this further, let's also not forget that the US have a lot more social problems than most European countries do. So obviously, there is also much more crime, and hence many more prisoners, even relatively. The only western European country I can think of that has comparable ghettos and social unrest combined with that is France. The reasons here are different than in the US and in my opinion can't be compared, and I also don't have any French statistics to quote from.

So, if you want to see less people in American prisons, laxing punishment laws can't be the answer. The solution lies in fighting the reasons for crime, and that is easier said than done. In fact, I think that no matter what America does here, they will get heavy flak from observers.

Perun said:
I'm going to have to argue against that. It's not like a major organisation like Human Rights Watch does not base its statements on hard facts. They don't just say whatever they want, they make sure it is properly referenced from reliable sources. Of course, their interpretation is somewhat biased, and of course they interpret the facts according to their mission. But what they say certainly has substance.

Well, have any of you read about the very serious dangers of dihydrogen monoxide? It's a massively growing situation in the US... and from what I am reading, it's pretty much the same in EVERY country in the world.

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. Here is the short list of it's dangers:
    * Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    * Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    * Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    * DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    * Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    * Contributes to soil erosion.
    * Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    * Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    * Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    * Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    * Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    * Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    * Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.
    * Almost every drink in the US, including water, contains very high levels of DHMO.

It's almost been banned in various jurisdictions in the US.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Of course, I suspect that one does not want to ban dihydrogen monoxide... err... water... but it's a good lesson to remember that facts mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Anyone can find a set of facts on virtually any topic, which can be twisted to any purpose - yet be 100% accurate. EVERY single danger (and TONS more) I posted above about DHMO (err... water) is 100% true. Hence the reason it's almost been banned various places, where people simply looked at the dangers and didn't bother to do a little research to determine they were voting on banning water. Di (two) hydrogen, Mon (one) oxygen/oxide. Water, nothing more, nothing less.

Truth, facts and statistics have ceased to mean anything as soon as people realized that the "truth" can portray anything they want.

Have a praise for that one. :D

Basically though, that's repeating what everybody said and I didn't feel like getting at again.

I agree with larger population areas being a factor.  I would not be in favor of more lax punishemnt for serious crimes, I do think that pot should not be a serious crime, from a societal cost, someone smoking a joint is really no more of a burden than someone who grabs a few beers at a bar and has a cigarette with it.  It is more a matter of prioritizing. 

Yeah, the problem with the prison system's population in the USA is the length of sentences, not really the fact that they exist. IE, 25 years for crack. Yeah, crack's bad, but 25 years for crack when people who kill get off with 5. It's fucking nutso.

bearfan said:
I agree with larger population areas being a factor.  I would not be in favor of more lax punishemnt for serious crimes, I do think that pot should not be a serious crime, from a societal cost, someone smoking a joint is really no more of a burden than someone who grabs a few beers at a bar and has a cigarette with it.   It is more a matter of prioritizing.   

I agree... I have the cigarette first, then a beer, one more cigarette, then two more beers, then some more cigarettes. People definitely need to prioritize! It makes no sense to have just a cigarette with a few beers.  :p

I can't believe every single one of you failed to name the #1 reason for the large US prison population.

The prison industry. Most of the system is privatized and run based on greed like any other business.

It's profitable for private prisons to have convicts. As long as that remains true, people will go to prison for minor offenses.

My cut of the system is about a tank and a half of gas per week, based on the hours I spend working on jobs for our prison contracts.

Thassrite. Your tax dollars pay for my gas. :ok:

SinisterMinisterX said:
The prison industry. Most of the system is privatized and run based on greed like any other business.

To be honest, I didn't know that. That, unfortunately, is a major grievance, in my opinion.

Some may argue that privatising the system puts a relief on taxpayers, but I find that a bit of a lazy argument. Taxpayers make up society, and society is responsible for caring for keeping itself. But that argument hasn't been brought forth yet, so I'm not going to fight a straw man.
LooseCannon said:
Yeah, the problem with the prison system's population in the USA is the length of sentences, not really the fact that they exist. IE, 25 years for crack. Yeah, crack's bad, but 25 years for crack when people who kill get off with 5. It's fucking nutso.

That too is something I haven't considered. Point to LC.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I can't believe every single one of you failed to name the #1 reason for the large US prison population.

It's profitable for private prisons to have convicts. As long as that remains true, people will go to prison for minor offenses.

This will no doubt be a stupid question, but I don't quite understand: in these private prisons, presumably contracted by the government, who pays who in the contract? If it's the prison paying the state, I can see the incentive for the state to have more people go to prison, but then how does the prison make its profit - labour? If the government is paying private prisons to take prisoners off their hands, which is how I assume it works, why would they want to send more away? Is there some way in which the private prisons have influence over state/court legislature etc?

Perun said:
You're saying that like it was an American thing. Did the author of your book say how he got punished? I.e. physically, or with bad grades?

One of the things I said is that America's fascination with blame feeds their passion for punishment.
These outraging prisoners-statistics help me believing this.

I also said that a problem of American society is that the church, but also many parents and teachers expect their children to do what they tell them to do, or else it's wrong, and then comes punishment.

It's difficult to make other choices, because many people will tell you, you're doing wrong.

I might have mentioned America (or USA) in more posts.

This is how that class situation went:

... My fifth-grade teacher, Mr. Gorsky, a strict former U.S. Army sergeant, didn't appreciate anyone talking out of turn and was intolerant of smart-ass comments. One day he gave us a homework assignment to memorize the planets of the solar system, and the next day he called on to me to recite the names of the planets in sequence.

"Pluto, Neptune..." I began.
"From the sun outward, please," he said.
This confused me. I had learned the names of the planets from a poster that drew the solar system in three dimensions, so Pluto was closest and Mercury was farthest away. I decided to ignore him and do it my way.
"Neptune, Uranus..." I said.
"No, it's YOUR-i-nus," he said/
At that point, I was being embarrassed by a teacher who didn't appreciate my reverse-order learning of the planets and kept interrupting me. Recognizing a setup too good to ignore, I said, "But, Mr. Gorsky, there are no Klingons around YOUR-i-nus; they're only found around Ur-A-nus!

The entire fifth-grade classroom burst into laughter, but Mr. Gorsky's face immediately clouded with anger. He marched to my desk, grabbed my arm, and dragged me into the hallway. I figured that I was headed to the principal's office, but instead he decided to give me a speech right there. He told me that I was an embarrassment to myself. He wagged his finger at my nose and said, "Don't you realize, young man, that those kids were laughing at you, not with you?"

I immediately knew that he was wrong. The class loved it when I cracked jokes. Some of my best friends were good at comebacks, too, and we laughed about our fifth-grade witticisms at recess. Mr. Gorsky was trying to convince me of something that had no basis in fact. I knew he had no way of veryfying his opinion that I was a laughingstock. It seemed obvious to me that he was saying what he wanted to be true, not what actually was true. Maybe this kind of discipline worked in the military, but even as a fifth grader I recognized that, without any proof, one opinion was no more valid than another. In fact, Mr Gorsky's misinterpretations worked against him. I had plenty of teachers who simply laid down the law and didn't try to justify themselves: "Okay, the rule in here is simple, if you speak out of turn, you will be sent to the principal's office."These teachers may not have been very inspiring, but they were taken more seriously than Mr. Gorsky was. They didn't confuse their formal authority with the expectation that we students would see the logic in following their rules. They believed that the most effective authority was one that invited no scrutiny.

But Mr. Gorsky had all the power and control, and I didn't. I wouldn't do any good to fight the power structure in that school. And I didn't want my mom and dad to learn about my continuing disrespect to my teachers. Even though I yearned to do otherwise, I capitulated to him that day in the hallway: "Yes, sir, I guess you're right. They're laughing at me. And it's better to learn the planets from the sun outward." But silently I was thinking, "You're wrong, Mr. Gorsky, and someday I'll prove it."

I tell this story not to demonstrate my insolence as a child--you already knew that--but to recall some of the difficult situations that kids have to deal with when they are confronted by small-minded restrictions on their thinking. ... (etc.)

I never said that something like this can not happen in other countries, in case you were waiting to here that.

But I do believe that small-minded restrictions happen less in less religious democratic countries.

(BTW: Even if you'd discard this typed story as unimportant, I still hope you enjoyed reading it)

national acrobat said:
This will no doubt be a stupid question, but I don't quite understand: in these private prisons, presumably contracted by the government, who pays who in the contract? If it's the prison paying the state, I can see the incentive for the state to have more people go to prison, but then how does the prison make its profit - labour? If the government is paying private prisons to take prisoners off their hands, which is how I assume it works, why would they want to send more away? Is there some way in which the private prisons have influence over state/court legislature etc?

Not a stupid question.  The private prisons are generally paid for out of government funds and stocked with prisoners sentenced by government-employed judges.  The fact that many prisons are privately run is a result of privatization efforts based on the premise that privately-run organizations tend to be more efficient than government organizations.  That's a questionable premise given that the private organization is dependent upon public money rather than the free market for its services.  Whether private prisons are more efficient is irrelevant to SMX's point, though. 

While SMX adds an interesting twist to the discussion, I seriously question SMX's theory that privatization of prisons accounts for the high prison population.  His theory assumes that the private prison lobby is powerful enough to influence lawmaking, including sentencing guidelines.  Otherwise, even if one assumes private prisons want lots more prisoners -- which I'm not sure is true, it depends how they are paid, and whether the incremental revenue they may get from an additional prisoner outweighs the incremental cost of caring for that prisoner -- private prisons can't GET more prisoners unless laws and judges supply them.  I don't know how powerful the private prison industry is, though I doubt it is that powerful.  In contrast, endorsement by law enforcement organizations, including labor unions, is often considered an important endorsement in local elections.  I therefore think the police lobby has a far greater voice in determining which criminals will go to jail, and for how long, than the prison lobby. 

I think the best statistic to prove SMX's point would be whether or not prisoners are often accused of crimes inside prison that leads to the extension of terms, and also whether or not "good behaviour" comes into play more or less often than in non-private prisons. That might suggest that guards/corporate employees search for particular behaviours or encourage/report certain incidents more in order to extend a prisoner's stay and the parent company's take.

Back