USA Politics

Aren’t the few Trumpists in your country staying silent now, trying to not generate any attention? I feel like it‘s time to go to their workplaces and spray TRUMPIST on their walls.
Not many Trumpists in Norway mate! Those who exist are still trying to convnce the rest of us that the election was stolen from their idol, though.

It was. You know only white anti-government males scared of publicly funded health care are qualified to vote, right? Those dirty democrats cheated by attracting other voters!

Is that bulletin issued by the DHS much to be concerned about?
The reality is that the most likely source of terrorism in the USA for decades has been internal, right wing terror cells. 9/11 was an aberration that should have been caught by US intelligence agencies - and, in fact, was detected, with the threat either being miscategorized or ignored by the Bush Administration.

It seems like the MAGA terrorists are subsiding somewhat for now, but Q has set the new date at March 4th. We'll see, but I suspect there won't be much violence until the leadup to the 2022 election.

The reality is that the most likely source of terrorism in the USA for decades has been internal, right wing terror cells.

U.S. has also been funding and sponsoring right wing terror cells and right wing oppressive governments for 70 years. Even today, and I mean literal today as in 29.01.2021 there's a chance innocent children will die at the hands of U.S. drone strikes.

"Leopards ate my face"

The worst part of it - when someone like Trump says "we'll bring our boys home", no more "US deaths for its allies"...that's just leaving the party after you've fucking destroyed the place and the building is about to crumble.

U.S. has also been funding and sponsoring right wing terror cells and right wing oppressive governments for 70 years. Even today, and I mean literal today as in 29.01.2021 there's a chance innocent children will die at the hands of U.S. drone strikes.
When I first moved to the US a classmate eventually asked me, "Is it true they teach you guys to hate us?" I said, "No, they just teach us history. You guys just happen to keep meddling everywhere."

I apologize @Travis The Dragon.
It's just that one high profile, right wing, conservative journalist that we have in Zurich, who said on national TV this week: "Trump was -- and I don't mean that in a positive way -- a unique president." Eloquent, well constructed, but strange wording, after he'd written positively about that unique President several times until very recently. This guy just gets me, which perhaps is a bit difficult to understand from the outside, because he works in the context of a conservative tradition here, very closely associated with European (if that's the right definition) liberalism, etc.

I apologize @Travis The Dragon.
It's just that one high profile, right wing, conservative journalist that we have in Zurich, who said on national TV this week: "Trump was -- and I don't mean that in a positive way -- a unique president." Eloquent, well constructed, but strange wording, after he'd written positively about that unique President several times until very recently. This guy just gets me, which perhaps is a bit difficult to understand from the outside, because he works in the context of a conservative tradition here, very closely associated with European (if that's the right definition) liberalism, etc.
What are you apologizing to me for and what is this about?

but nevermind, let it roll

fetchimage

So not really politics, but since Wall Street rules the country might as well put it here. How 'bout that NASDAQ?

For those who are unaware, there is a video game store company in the U.S named, GAMESTOP. Like many brick and mortar businesses, it has been struggling for years and the pandemic was the nail in the coffin. HOWEVER, Reddit came to the rescue when some folks realized there were hedgefunds betting on a "short" (sell stocks before a business actually fails), and expecting lots of money. Instead these Redditors banded together, bought a ton of GameStop (and AMC, the movie theathers) giving value to the stocks again causing the hedgefunds to lose around 5 BILLION dollars. HAHAHAHAHA. Now, the cry babies are crying foul, and want the government AND the NASDAQ CEO to "regulate" the "problem" of stock manipulation. It got so bad that one of the trading websites in which most of the purchases took place, ROBINHOOD, no longer allowed the purchase of said stocks. From what I hear it is a free service, they make their money by selling trade data to, who else, hedgefunds.

This has exposed what we've always known, Wall Street manipulates and it's fine, they fail and we suffer and they get bail outs, but when average citizens due it, it's wrong, a mistake that needs regulating... Good lord.

I don't know shit about the stock market or what a hedge fund is. To me, a "hedge fund" should be a pool of money used to facilitate any needed yard work. But I'm sure it's not that.

I was talking to a right wing friend of mine yesterday and of course he was telling me of all the shit Biden is already going back on (fracking), being a hypocrite on (canceling the keystone pipeline effectively leaving people unemployed after promising to be "America's President"), and what he hasn't changed (Kids will remain in cages, just like under Obama, Trump and now Biden.) We also discussed the surge in troops in Afghanistan and Syria, when they were supposed to withdraw pretty soon.

I basically told him, "What did you expect?" ALL politicians lie. ALL politicians have to make unpopular decisions. While "the majority" of people may vote for a person, their decisions are bound to make someone unhappy, both the people that didn't and did vote for them. Fracking is a tricky one. For one, it's one of the reasons gas prices have dropped dramatically due to that. On the other hand the disasters caused by it (earthquakes, floods, landslides, etc) directly affect communities and the environment, Keystone is just following through Obama era policy.

the immigration issue is very complicated. Someone mentioned getting rid of ICE being a "ridiculous" notion and I counter with the creation of ICE being ridiculous. Just another overreaction stemming from 9/11 and the creation of the Homeland department. But it WAS created, it's here and like government programs, once created they are nearly impossible to discontinue. Under Obama, aka the deporter-in-chief, ICE operated under very simple rules, only go after people who have commited crimes, thatp's it. If the person was working, paying taxes and minding their business, they didn't care. Under Trump, that channged to, go after everyone, which included in one extreme case an ex-policeman from Honduras who gave the U.S government information on criminal organizations and was in the U.S for protection, because if he had stayed in Honduras he'd be dead. Due to a techicality in his paperwork he was deemed "illegal" and deported. Thanks for your help. That's why my hope is that they'll, at the very least, go back to going after people that have commited more crimes than just being undocumented.

As for Biden. I told my friend that people think I'm some sort of Commie leftist, when I'm more of a moderate centrist. Biden WAS NOT my horse in this race. He's a million times better than Trump or even Hillary, but he still wasn't "my guy." I reminded him that while Trump is crying over stolen eletions, people seem to have forgetten the DNC debacle of 2016 when they rigged the primaries in Hillary's favor and how for a second primary in a row, they made so Sanders wouldn't get the nomination. But since Trump was stealing all the headlines, NO ONE cared and I still don't know what came of it. Reforms? Outrage? Lawsuits? No clue.

There Travis, you get your wish, "leftists" about to discuss policies rather than shit on the right.

second primary in a row, they made so Sanders wouldn't get the nomination.
[citation needed]

Bernie ran a bad campaign this time around. He went for the Trump strategy of trying to plow through a crowded field and win in a brokered convention when he should’ve spent the period between 2016 and 2020 building political relationships, earning endorsements, and growing his grassroots movement. Apparently AOC had to offer her endorsement to Bernie midway through the campaign, when Bernie should’ve secured her endorsement before the campaign started (along with the rest of the progressive caucus). The DNC took a much more hands off approach to this primary and Bernie still couldn’t win, even though he was much more well positioned. Even if he had won, it would’ve been with a plurality and not a majority. I voted for Bernie in my primary, but it was pretty obvious by the end of it that he is not the candidate that the Democrats want.

They bent over backwards to give Bernie what he wanted in assurances for the 2020 primary and he seemed pleased enough with the process, even if I'm sure he'd prefer to win. I think he did everything the party needed of him this time out. Go Bernie.

No arguments here, I like Bernie, I’m just trying to be realistic about how the electorate behaves. The primary process played out exactly as it should imo. Large field but everyone got generous coverage and had a realistic shot, even someone as obscure as the mayor of a small town in Indiana.

Back