USA Politics

My Father in Law recieves $1200 amonth in SSDI ( which is disability), but he can work...he just chooses not too. He is only 57

Derek Smalls said:
My Father in Law recieves $1200 amonth in SSDI ( which is disability), but he can work...he just chooses not too. He is only 57

I know several people in that position and I'm sure in your new job your meeting quite a few...

My mom is facing that decision. She is 65, but will likely work until 70, retire, then get a job as a translator/interpreter or start writing her life story.

Onhell said:
I know several people in that position and I'm sure in your new job your meeting quite a few...
Believe it or not, most of my clients work. The company I work for has a production center where the clients assemble medicine droppers. They get about $.02 a dropper. They bitch and complain about their jobs like the rest of us :bigsmile:

LOL, that's awesome! Sounds like what people do in prisons, but it's awesome nonetheless lol, keep them busy.

you can get a medium quarter pounder meal at mickey d's for that!

So true though. I remember when I thought 100 dollars was a lot of money... now it's not even a credit card payment.

Proposition 8 in California was killed by a federal judge earlier this month; the Appeals Court for the Ninth Circuit has decided not to extend a stay on the ruling, and at 5 PM local time on the 18th, every adult in California who wants to marry another willing adult may do so, regardless of that adult's gender. The case (Perry v. Governator) will be heard the Appeals Court, but that will be but a stepping stone in what is sure to be a landmark case in the annals of the Supreme Court.

LooseCannon said:
Proposition 8 in California was killed by a federal judge earlier this month; the Appeals Court for the Ninth Circuit has decided not to extend a stay on the ruling, and at 5 PM local time on the 18th, every adult in California who wants to marry another willing adult may do so, regardless of that adult's gender. The case (Perry v. Governator) will be heard the Appeals Court, but that will be but a stepping stone in what is sure to be a landmark case in the annals of the Supreme Court.

Good news! Less government interference in peoples individuality is always a positive in my book.

LooseCannon said:

Fantastic. But it doesn't change the fact that most of the rest of the country still doesn't allow gay marriage. If church and state are truly separate, then how is this even a problem?
How about the building of that mosque near Ground Zero?

I found it pretty funny that on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, they pointed out that there is already a mosque two blocks down from the proposed building site.

It might. The Supreme Court may use the ruling in Perry v. Governator to invalidate all same sex marriage bans in the United States.

And yeah. I lol'd. I can't believe people are so openly racist/anti-Muslim like that. As if everyone near Ground Zero has to be a Christian.

LooseCannon said:
It might. The Supreme Court may use the ruling in Perry v. Governator to invalidate all same sex marriage bans in the United States.
My fearless prediction is that the Supreme Court won't touch this with a 10-foot pole.  Regardless of what the Ninth Circuit does, I'm betting the Supreme Court will deny certiorari. 

I've been wondering about that as well. In that case, the Ninth Circuit would get the final say. It all depends on whether or not the SCOTUS wants the possibility of dropping the hammer on gay marriage either way.

It's an interesting system you guys have there, with a court being able to make such a major ruling.  Not to mention, your system of courts is very confusing (Fifth Circuit?  Ninth Circuit?).  And your constitution with all its amendments...  But then, with the way Democrats and Republicans bicker over the smallest things, I guess it's a good thing someone is taking things forward. ;)

Can someone explain to me about how the conservative movement in Arizona is trying to remove citizenship from babies born to illegal immigrant parents in the US? As in, how are they justifying breaking the 14th amendment about equal protections to all citizens born in the United States.

Now, tell me why it's okay to break the 14th amendment, but dear god if we go anywhere near the 2nd amendment there'll be hell to pay.

I'm so tired of it.

Considering most conservatives that are up in arms about this aren't from New York, probably have never been to New York, and have no idea how large a city block is in NYC... especially Manhattan, let alone two.

It's a non-issue, and even if it were across the street, we offer a little something called the freedom of expression in this country, and there's nothing anyone could do about it.

Invader said:
It's an interesting system you guys have there, with a court being able to make such a major ruling.  Not to mention, your system of courts is very confusing (Fifth Circuit?  Ninth Circuit?).  And your constitution with all its amendments...  But then, with the way Democrats and Republicans bicker over the smallest things, I guess it's a good thing someone is taking things forward. ;)

The court has to make the decisions. It's how one avoids tyranny of the majority.

The Circuits are just areas broken up for the purpose of federal appeals. The US is too big a country to have only one appeals court.

Finland has a constitution too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_constitution

Like most modern constitutions, it is based at least in part on the United States Constitution, though the Finnish constitution does not have a powerful legal branch like in the USA or Canada.

Back