USA Politics

Gotta love Bernie as well for saying how it really is. This man's record is better than the other candidates. And the passion is huge.

Last edited:
You've gotto check this out, people.

‘You’re a millionaire funded by billionaires... and what they want you to do is scapegoat immigrants instead of talking about their tax evasion.’

A quote from the interview with Bregman Fox refused to broadcast. Now the one who was interviewed released it himself. Don't watch if you cannot take some Dutch directness. Certainly do watch if you want to see Fox presenter Tucker Carlson told how it fucking is. Carlson gets mad and starts to curse!

That was pretty awesome.

Yeah, saw the Bregman thing.

Disagree that Bernie has a stronger record. It's time for him to get out of the way and endorse younger progressives.

The others talk his issues. I mean, he talked about these issues in unpopular times. That's his power. His fearless drive, even if he is in a minority.

His fearless drive, even if he is in a minorit
Reminds me of someone else.

giphy.gif

Wonder what her cut will be?

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said Friday that Native Americans should be “part of the conversation” on reparations, The Washington Post reported.

Warren, a 2020 Democratic presidential contender, made the remarks to about 900 supporters at New Hampshire's annual McIntyre-Shaheen 100 Club Dinner.

Warren is so far the only 2020 candidate to entertain float the notion of reparations for Native Americans.

Just out of curiosity from our neighbors to the north (aka @LooseCannon), how big of a deal is this?

=======================================================

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47408239

A simmering political scandal involving Justin Trudeau and his ex-attorney general came to the boil dramatically this week.

Now, people are calling on him to resign.

Here's what you need to know.

In a nutshell
Mr Trudeau has been accused of pressuring his former attorney general to cut a deal with a company facing corruption charges - and retaliating when she refused to play ball.

The revelations could cost Trudeau the October general election, some pundits say.

The former AG says Trudeau and his staff spent months trying to convince her that taking the company to trial would cost Canadians jobs, and their party votes.

She also says she was subject to "veiled threats", which she believes were made good when she was shuffled out of her department.

Just out of curiosity from our neighbors to the north (aka @LooseCannon), how big of a deal is this?
In a functioning democracy, when the leader of the country puts pressure on the theoretically independent justice department for their own gains, it is a big deal.

Wilson-Reybauld's testimony was damning to the Trudeau government. It's an incredible own goal for the Prime Minister. I don't personally think it's the worst thing in the world, up to the point where Trudeau demoted her for disobeying him. That's the big piece to me - he clearly wanted someone who would bend the judiciary to his will, and went ahead and did it. Crass and a power grab and I don't like it.

Trudeau will make it to the election, but he may very well lose because of this scandal - which is a bad thing, because Canada can't handle another four years of Conservative governance. We're just recovering from the last four.

In a functioning democracy, when the leader of the country puts pressure on the theoretically independent justice department for their own gains, it is a big deal.

Wilson-Reybauld's testimony was damning to the Trudeau government. It's an incredible own goal for the Prime Minister. I don't personally think it's the worst thing in the world, up to the point where Trudeau demoted her for disobeying him. That's the big piece to me - he clearly wanted someone who would bend the judiciary to his will, and went ahead and did it. Crass and a power grab and I don't like it.

Trudeau will make it to the election, but he may very well lose because of this scandal - which is a bad thing, because Canada can't handle another four years of Conservative governance. We're just recovering from the last four.

I meant more along the lines of how much it is in the press/talked about. See another minister resigned. Any chance Trudeau resigns, or wait it out to the election and hope for the best, or not run for re-election.

I meant more along the lines of how much it is in the press/talked about. See another minister resigned. Any chance Trudeau resigns, or wait it out to the election and hope for the best, or not run for re-election.
It's been the headline news for about three weeks now, on all major news sources. Print media - which in Canada is almost entirely owned by one company - has been a little more savage than CBC, CTV, or the Globe & Mail, but that's to be expected. Postmedia is extremely biased (in Canadian terms, I mean it's no Fox News), but no news source has been friendly towards the scandal. Polls show that Canadians believe JWR over Trudeau 2:1. I don't think he resigns. Quitting isn't in the Trudeau vocabulary. Hell, retiring is barely in the Trudeau vocabulary. But the man's on the hot seat, for sure.

O'Rourke supports stronger antitrust laws to break up monopolies which he believes "stifle competition and innovation.". He proposed that politicians work to eliminate private, for-profit prisons, end the "war on drugs," stop using mandatory minimum sentencing for non-violent drug offenses, end cash bail that disproportionately affects those unable to pay bail with longer jail sentences, and provide reentry programs to reduce recidivism for non-violent criminals.

O'Rourke favors the legalization of cannabis. O'Rourke is in favor of increasing federal aid to public schools in low-income communities. O'Rourke supports efforts to combat global warming. He supports universal background checks for gun purchases. O'Rourke voted against the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion.

O'Rourke has held monthly veterans town hall meetings since he was elected in 2013. O'Rourke has spoken out against racial inequality. He supports the football players who have taken part in the "Take a knee" protests.

...provide reentry programs to reduce recidivism for non-violent criminals.

When people complain about raising minimum wage and its effects and how they're meant for teens as their first jobs THIS is what I point to. There was a time it WASN'T "just for teens," to work at 7Eleven or McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc. People trying to reenter society face many challenges. If they committed felonies, they already lost their rights to vote, bear arms and certain jobs. Most of the jobs that will take them pay shit... how is a 40/50 year old that has spent 10-30 years in prison supposed to survive on a badly pay convenience store job?

I'm really curious to see what Beto does. He has a chance at really upending this race. However, he really squandered the period between the last election and now when he could've been building up his campaign. While Harris/Sanders/Warren are actively campaigning, Beto and Biden are teasing whether they are even in the race. It's early enough that it probably won't make a difference, but in a field this huge the candidates who had a head start may have an advantage.

I don't think he was receiving the same amount of coverage as some of the people who were already in the race.

Back