USA Politics

I fail to see how this is a disturbing trend (using political speak) when the trend is downward. Perhaps I am missing something, but people seem to care more about internal US politics than other countries and generally from people with the most superficial information (not speaking about anyone here in particular).

In any case, worrying about being shot in the US is a pretty minimal concern ... probably infinitesimal (like odds of being struck by lightening) if someone does not live inside of a particular 15 or so square miles spread out across 10 cities.

But, nice to see companies taking advantage of unwarranted hysteria and bilking morons out of their money that buy the crap that Foro posted

In any case, worrying about being shot in the US is a pretty minimal concern ... probably infinitesimal (like odds of being struck by lightening) if someone does not live inside of a particular 15 or so square miles spread out across 10 cities.
All I know is that by the act of crossing the US border, my chances of being shot to death increase by something like 40x compared to living in Canada as a whole. Good that it is trending downwards, but...really, it's still a problem in the USA.

Not really .... if you look at the math. If you go to a certain section of Chicago .. especially being white, your odds probably go up 10000 times ... damn near anywhere else. Your odds are probably about the same. Moral of the story, stay out of the south side of Chicago, central Baltimore, etc ...

I think you'll survive the Vegas Maiden trip just fine ... probably have to worry more about the hoards of drunken morons there

You're misunderstanding what I said. I said shot to death, not murdered. My chances of being murdered increase in the USA too, but not nearly as spectacularly.

Most American gun deaths are accidents. Accidents that would often be preventable by strict regulation of home firearm ownership, or by not owning so many freaking guns.

So, crossing the border increases your chances of walking into someones home who will accidentally discharge a firearm? That seems pretty remote to be concerned about.

Exactly. The only ones here proclaiming the US to be "more dangerous" are the non-Americans. This thread has become a joke. It long ago stopped being a thread where any actual discussion of US politics could happen; this is now the "Foro bitching about guns" thread.

the crap that Foro posted
Exactly. The only ones here proclaiming the US to be "more dangerous" are the non-Americans. This thread has become a joke. It long ago stopped being a thread where any actual discussion of US politics could happen; this is now the "Foro bitching about guns" thread.
Are we going to make this personal? I can also play that tune if you like. I have been very patient with lots of out of context crap that bearfan often posts. This guy has a handful of trying to evade the problems. When he can't think of strong arguments, he evades, or he remains silent. And in some cases, when he really can't stand the fact that he can't give arguments he calls something crap.

Look bearfan! It is not crap. You looking away is crap!

Look SMX, American news is world news. Hard to bear(fan) perhaps. In any case, I have trouble with becoming numb about so much ignorance in a western democracy. I don't do this to offend anyone. It's not the purpose. If anything offends, it's the content. But it is American content.

Last edited:
Yes, posting actual numbers is out of context. We are much better throwing out anecdotes and making grand generalizations

Yes, posting actual numbers is out of context. We are much better throwing out anecdotes and making grand generalizations

a) Shootingtracker has questionable stats at best ... see any fact checking site
b) In just 2015, France suffered more casualties – killings and injuries – from mass public shootings than the U.S. has suffered during Obama’s entire presidency (508 to 424). This number includes the San Bernandino massacre on Wednesday.

Are we going to make this personal?

I honestly didn't mean to do that... but look at this thread, Foro. It has become dominated by discussions you start about US gun deaths. Yes, it's an important issue - but it seems like you've got a strange obsession with it.

I don't see Americans posting in the European Politics thread that all Europeans have a problem they need to solve. The language, especially in the last couple pages of this thread, insults the Americans on this board by lumping us in with all the idiots. We have over 300 million people here; there's going to be some idiots. This forum is starting to feel hostile to Americans.

I'm not making this personal, but I'm getting really tired of insults thrown at "Americans". You're insulting me, Mosh, CFH, bearfan, Wasted, Knickerbocker and more. And to be clear: my use of the word "you" isn't even targeted at Foro. Foro posts news, Perun and LC use the opportunity to bash my country. Other people are making this personal, from the standpoint of an American forum member.

Perun and LC use the opportunity to bash my country. Other people are making this personal, from the standpoint of an American forum member.

I apologise if my posts came across as a personal offence. I merely meant to make a rare statement of my view on the issue of gun nuts. I admit my third and fourth posts on this matter are more generalising, but I certainly did not mean to bash you or your country.

I'm genuinely quite confused. Is Obama painting an inaccurate picture...
“We have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world,” Barack Obama said on Wednesday.
... when he says this?
a) Shootingtracker has questionable stats at best ... see any fact checking site
b) In just 2015, France suffered more casualties – killings and injuries – from mass public shootings than the U.S. has suffered during Obama’s entire presidency (508 to 424). This number includes the San Bernandino massacre on Wednesday.
Shootingtracker has the figure at 1,052 incidents in 1,066 days; with 1,347 deaths & 3,817 injured since Jan 1st 2013; that's 5000+ "killings and injuries". Where does the 424 you quote come from? I'm genuinely interested, as these numbers are miles apart.

Last edited:
Back