USA Politics

We had close to zero in 2008
That's really not true. You had 2 years of federal and 8 years of state. 10 years of elected experience is pretty good. What you didn't have in 2008 is executive experience - and it's turned out okay. Multiple presidents have had zero executive experience.

GWB only had 6 years of state experience. It was all executive experience, but I don't think that the type of experience matters so much.

The 2 years of Federal were mostly spent running for President as were the latter half of being in the Illinois State Legislature (running for Senate). Some experience yes, but really not all that much. In any case, there are pluses and minuses to it. Being in government forever does not mean you will do better than someone who has not been in it. I think we will see more and more with relatively little experience (with the possible exception of a future VP maybe) as "stay the course" polls very badly.

I don't think that government experience is as important as the person themselves, so I think we agree on that point. Either way, if Trump wins the nomination, prepare for President Clinton.

If Trump gets nominated, it would be a disaster for the GOP. If Trump wins the election, it's safe to say it would be a disaster for the USA. Hillary has the skills to be a perfectly average president. From the GOP side, I like none of the front runners - Trump and Carson are legitimately scary, Cruz is a moron, and Rubio doesn't seem that interested in the job. Bush has the problem of being a Bush, though it looks less and less like he might get the nomination.

I wish Romney were running again. As much as I am not a fan of all his policies, I think he has the skills to be a perfectly average president, and I think he would govern fairly middle-of-the-road.

Bunch of polls came out recently . Quinnipac had one with every GOPer beating Hillary in CO, another poll (forgot by who) had them all beating her in FL

Hillary's problem is people have their image of her and it is not very positive. I'd take virtually anyone in the GOP field over her .. easily. Some, I would take over her despite not caring for them that much. With the exception of Trump, views on the rest of the GOPers are not well defined/deeply seeded. They have the opportunity (good and bad) to still define themselves.

I'd add, Cruz is a hard liner for sure, but he is not an idiot. His academic/post academic career is pretty impressive.

Um, no. Like Obama in 2008, he is easily the most intellectually gifted person in the entire Presidential race.
I fixed that for a reason. No doubt that the man is smart. But the stuff he has said isn't really equal to his education and background - including his cry to only bring over Christian Syrians (which I find utterly distasteful and fairly discriminatory) - but also the various people whose endorsements or appearance offers he has accepted. He's not a moron - he just plays one on TV for votes.

He is an idealogue who panders to the religious right. Which is pretty smart in the primary phase of the election. Though I do think it's not all an act -- he is incredibly conservative. He's not my favorite, as I'm more of a libertarian. But it would not shock me if he steals the nomination, and I think he'd be a formidable opponent to Clinton.

Paul has been my favorite since day 1 in this campaign. I am debating who is my next choice ... don't think Rand has a great chance to win it. Which is too bad.

For fucks sake

Princeton University will look into removing the name of former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson from buildings and school programs under a deal signed with student demonstrators over what they call his racist legacy.

Thursday's agreement between students and several top administrators at the renowned Ivy League university in New Jersey ended a 32-hour sit-in outside Princeton President Christopher Eisgruber's office, a university statement said.

Eisgruber said Princeton appreciated the "willingness of the students to work with us to find a way forward".

Protest organizers from the Black Justice League have called on Princeton to remove Wilson's name and image from its public spaces, as well as from the university's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Wilson, the 28th U.S. president from 1913 to 1921, was a leader of the Progressive Movement but also supported racial segregation, which was legal and part of public policy at the time in the United States, particularly in southern states. Segregation was banned under the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Calls for the removal of Wilson's name from Princeton, where he served as president from 1902 to 1910, arose during a wave of demonstrations at U.S. colleges over the treatment of minority students.

The Princeton students also want the school to institute a cultural competency and diversity training program and to designate space on campus for "cultural affinity" groups.

Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-usa-race-princeton-idUSKCN0T91BM20151120#hlgVlOGgtT1jfZGJ.99

Not the US, only our hat :) ... but I would not be surprised if this happened here. I added some bolding and laughing

Free Ottawa yoga class scrapped over 'cultural issues'

Student leaders have pulled the mat out from 60 University of Ottawa students, ending a free on-campus yoga class over fears the teachings could be seen as a form of "cultural appropriation."

Jennifer Scharf, who has been offering free weekly yoga instruction to students since 2008, says she was shocked when told in September the program would be suspended, and saddened when she learned of the reasoning.

Staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities believe that "while yoga is a really great idea and accessible and great for students ... there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice," according to an email from the centre.

The centre is operated by the university's Student Federation, which first approached Scharf seven years ago about offering yoga instruction to students both with and without disabilities.

The centre goes on to say, "Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced," and which cultures those practices "are being taken from." (Really???)

The centre official argues since many of those cultures "have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy ... we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves while practising yoga." (
lol.gif
)

The concept of cultural appropriation is normally applied when a dominant culture borrows symbols of a marginalized culture for dubious reasons -- such as the fad of hipsters donning indigenous headdresses as a fashion statement, without any regard to cultural significance or stereotype.

But Scharf, a yoga teacher with the downtown Rama Lotus Centre, said the concept does not apply in this case, arguing the complaint that killed the program came instead from a "social justice warrior" with "fainting heart ideologies" in search of a cause celebre.

"People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find," said Scharf.

"There's a real divide between reasonable people and those people just looking to jump on a bandwagon. And unfortunately, it ends up with good people getting punished for doing good things."

There were about 60 students who participated in the free program.

Acting student federation president Romeo Ahimakin denied the decision resulted from a complaint.

Ahimakin said the student federation put the yoga session on hiatus while they consult with students "to make it better, more accessible and more inclusive to certain groups of people that feel left out in yoga-like spaces. ... We are trying to have those sessions done in a way in which students are aware of where the spiritual and cultural aspects come from, so that these sessions are done in a respectful manner."

Scharf offered a compromise, suggesting she change the name from yoga to "mindful stretching," since that would reflect the content of the program and would "literally change nothing about the course."

"I'm not pretending to be some enlightened yogi master, and the point (of the program) isn't to educate people on the finer points of the ancient yogi scripture," she told the Sun.

"The point is to get people to have higher physical awareness for their own physical health and enjoyment."

According to email correspondence between Scharf and the centre, student leaders debated rebranding the program, but stumbled over how the French translation for "mindful stretching" would appear on a promotional poster, and eventually decided to suspend the program.
rotflmao.gif

Student federation official Julie Seguin sympathized with Scharf, defending the use of the term "yoga," and saying, "I am also still of the opinion that a single complaint does not outweigh all of the good that these classes have done."

Seguin said "labeling the CSD's yoga lessons as cultural appropriation is questionable (and) debatable" and called on further discussion with the student executive.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/20/...ultural-issues

Back