USA Politics

Can you USAians explain this to me?

New York City buses must show 'killing Jews' ad, judge rules

I get that the judge has said that the authority can't prohibit the ad from being shown, but what doe they mean by must show it? Are they actually being ordered to display an advertisement which they do not want to display? I thought the bus operator could decide what to have on their own buses. Is something lost on the way to the international press here?

Simple, if you take political/issues ad from anybody you need to take it from everybody. Another option is to take them from nobody.

That is the case because this is a government run entity, not an independent operator.

Edit:

The upshot is that they are going the nobody route in the future

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/mta-bans-political-ads-in-transit-system/

Edit:

The upshot is that they are going the nobody route in the future

http://nypost.com/2015/04/29/mta-bans-political-ads-in-transit-system/

Well, given the regulations, it seems the most resonable route. Because the alternative is that they risk being forced to paint their buses with hate speech. And while I'm all for idiots being allowed to speak*, I'm not in favor of public services helping them spread their idiocy.

*) A good quote from former President of the Parliament in Norway, C. J. Hambro, regarding this: "In the name of democracy, it must be allowed for everyone, at any time, to express the confusion that rules inside one's head"

Simple, if you take political/issues ad from anybody you need to take it from everybody. Another option is to take them from nobody.

That is the case because this is a government run entity, not an independent operator.
Freedom of Speech 101. Government cannot prohibit speech or favour one speech over another.

Precedent goes all the way back to Skokie at least. Do they still teach major Supreme Court cases in school? We learned them in high school... then again, we had a teacher who was well informed about government and politics. Our "history" class was more like a civics course.

Precedent goes all the way back to Skokie at least. Do they still teach major Supreme Court cases in school? We learned them in high school... then again, we had a teacher who was well informed about government and politics. Our "history" class was more like a civics course.

I do not think they cover it in much detail. I suppose it depends on the school and the class. Which I think is a shame, civics and home-economics (not the 1950s-60s kind) should be taught more in school

I took 2 con law classes in college ... and also lived about 40 miles (edit 54 miles to be precise) from Skokie while that was going on, so I recall that case very well ... even though I was pretty young at the time.

Nope. Civics is a required course in my district but I had a teacher who didn't really teach. It was more of a forum for the class to argue about current events. The closest I ever got to major Supreme Court cases was a civil rights unit in 8th grade US history, but we only learned one or two from what I remember.

Beware! Literature!

These people are fucking idiots

http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2015/04/30/our-identities-matter-core-classrooms

During a forum hosted by the Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board on Literature Humanities last semester, a student shared an experience with an audience of instructors and fellow students. This experience, she said, came to define her relationship to her Lit Hum class and to Core material in general.

During the week spent on Ovid’s “Metamorphoses,” the class was instructed to read the myths of Persephone and Daphne, both of which include vivid depictions of rape and sexual assault. As a survivor of sexual assault, the student described being triggered while reading such detailed accounts of rape throughout the work. However, the student said her professor focused on the beauty of the language and the splendor of the imagery when lecturing on the text. As a result, the student completely disengaged from the class discussion as a means of self-preservation. She did not feel safe in the class. When she approached her professor after class, the student said she was essentially dismissed, and her concerns were ignored.

Ovid’s “Metamorphoses” is a fixture of Lit Hum, but like so many texts in the Western canon, it contains triggering and offensive material that marginalizes student identities in the classroom. These texts, wrought with histories and narratives of exclusion and oppression, can be difficult to read and discuss as a survivor, a person of color, or a student from a low-income background.

The MAAB, an extension of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, is an advocacy group dedicated to ensuring that Columbia’s campus is welcoming and safe for students of all backgrounds. This year, we explored possible interventions in Core classrooms, where transgressions concerning student identities are common. Beyond the texts themselves, class discussions can disregard the impacts that the Western canon has had and continues to have on marginalized groups.

For example, another student who attended the forum shared that her Lit Hum professor gave her class the opportunity to choose their own text to add to their syllabus for the year. When she suggested the class read a Toni Morrison text, another student declared that texts by authors of the African Diaspora are a staple in most high school English classes, and therefore they did not need to reread them. Toni Morrison is a writer of both the African Diaspora and the Western world, and her novels—aside from being some of the most intellectually and emotionally compelling writing in the last century—should be valued as founding texts of the Western canon.

The student’s remark regarding Toni Morrison was not merely insensitive, but also revealing of larger ideological divides. This would have been an opportune moment for the professor to intervene.

The MAAB has held two forums in our On the Core series and had multiple meetings with professor Roosevelt Montás, the director of the Center for the Core Curriculum. The goal of the forums on Literature Humanities and Contemporary Civilization was to give students, professors, and faculty a space to hold a safe and open dialogue about experiences in the classroom that all too often traumatize and silence students. Repeatedly, we heard from students who demonstrated that having difficult experiences in a Lit Hum or Contemporary Civilization class may actually be part of the norm. Unfortunately, not all professors seem equipped to be effective facilitators in the classroom.

Students need to feel safe in the classroom, and that requires a learning environment that recognizes the multiplicity of their identities. The MAAB has been meeting with administration and faculty in the Center for the Core Curriculum to determine how to create such a space. The Board has recommended three measures: First, we proposed that the center issue a letter to faculty about potential trigger warnings and suggestions for how to support triggered students. Next, we noted that there should be a mechanism for students to communicate their concerns to professors anonymously, as well as a mediation mechanism for students who have identity-based disagreements with professors. Finally, the center should create a training program for all professors, including faculty and graduate instructors, which will enable them to constructively facilitate conversations that embrace all identities, share best practices, and think critically about how the Core Curriculum is framed for their students.

Our vision for this training is not to infringe upon the instructors’ academic freedom in teaching the material. Rather, it is a means of providing them with effective strategies to engage with potential conflicts and confrontations in the classroom, whether they are between students or in response to the material itself. Given these tools, professors will be able to aid in the inclusion of student voices which presently feel silenced.

Students at the forum expressed that they have felt that Literature Humanities and Contemporary Civilization’s curricula are often presented as a set of universal, venerated, incontestable principles and texts that have founded Western society. Such a presentation does not allow room for their experiences in the Western world or in class discussions. While these founding principles have been liberating in many ways, instructors should more consistently acknowledge during class discussions that many of these same principles have created an unjust, unequal, and oppressive existence for many, as Professor Montás has suggested during our forums.

One of the defining elements of a Columbia education is the Core. The Center for the Core Curriculum, professor Montás, and many instructors have been receptive to our feedback and expressed dedication to addressing these issues. Altering the Core Curriculum is another important discussion—one that would undoubtedly require the insight of the larger student body. In the meantime, we hope that our recommendations will enable students to have a more intellectually rewarding experience in their classrooms.

The authors are members of the Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board. Tracey Wang is a former news deputy for Spectator.

There's nothing wrong with warning people about graphic material contained in any piece of literature. There is nothing wrong with inclusiveness in literature classes, either. That being said, this whole thing...hits me the wrong way and smells of censorship.

There's nothing wrong with warning people about graphic material contained in any piece of literature. There is nothing wrong with inclusiveness in literature classes, either. That being said, this whole thing...hits me the wrong way and smells of censorship.

I agree, warning are fine. But, I think these trigger warnings are going way overboard in the realm of censorship ... a "classier" way to essentially burn/ban books.

I agree, warning are fine. But, I think these trigger warnings are going way overboard in the realm of censorship ... a "classier" way to essentially burn/ban books.
Then you don't...really understand. A trigger warning is a disclaimer. It's a warning to people that might not want to hear this shit, "yo, this shit is coming". Choosing to exclude ones self from a lecture that might remind them of a traumatic incident. It sounds bogus, but one of my dad's best friends has panic attacks if people mention Swissair 111 because he was on the recovery crew. Just bam. He's toast.

If that is what it was, no problem. But the calls are for this stuff to not be taught. There are plenty of example .. which I can look up later. I disagree with "I am upset/offended, so no one should read/see it"

I don't think the article had a cohesive point. It was a series of complaints - to what, I don't know. But that is what reasonable trigger warnings are - a heads up that shit in here might fuck with your head if you've had a bad experience. We already include these disclaimers on TV and movies and stuff.

A syllabus seems to cover that though ...
Except when it doesn't. I had a class in my undergrad, Sex and Deviance, and the teacher showed the pinball scene from that movie with the pinball scene without warning anyone. Two girls left the class crying.

"it's not a day for political or moral debate"

Not a date for moral debate? All death sentences lead to moral debates. What nonsense.

This attorney does something like a Pontius Pilatus at some point:
"Our thoughts should now turn away from the Tsarnaev brothers forgood, and remain with those who'll live in our memories forever ...."

Yeah, we know the sentence, and now we we'll never think about that sentence, let alone those brothers again. :nuts2:

Check this out:

EDIT:
source:
The state of Massachusetts no longer has the death penalty but it was an option in this case because Tsarnaev has been charged with federal crimes. A recent Boston Globe poll found that only 15% of people in the city believed he should be executed.

The parents of Martin Richard, an eight-year-old boy killed in the blast, wrote an article in the Boston Globe newspaper last month asking the government to not seek a death sentence as it would delay their emotional closure.
"The continued pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives.

"We hope our two remaining children do not have to grow up with the lingering, painful reminder of what the defendant took from them, which years of appeals would undoubtedly bring," wrote Bill and Denise Richard.

Last edited:
It is a legal debate, the jurors are supposed to follow the law .. which they did ... and one of these days, this asshole will be gone. Not soon enough, but there will be eons of appeals

Back