US tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a USA homer at all

Me either!

But ya know... to be totally fair, there are only TWO kinds of countries on planet earth: Those that HAVEN'T had someone walk on the moon... and THE UNITED STATES OF FUCKING AMERICA!!!

Booyah!

YOU DON'T LIKE AMERICA??? THEN GO TO THE MOON, MOTHEF'ER -- AND BRING BACK OUR FLAG!!!

And BTW, there's probably no way to tabulate this, but I'll betcha the USA has generated more $$ for IM (tix, albums, merch, sales, etc.) than any other individual country. Right? (Maybe?) They're not coming to America 'cause they're losing $$, that's for sure...

Anyway...

All ball-busting / hyperbolic jingoism aside, one of the things that makes Maiden so special is that they utterly defy borders... yeah, they might be British, but they also belong to the whole world. And at a Maiden show, we're ALL speaking the same language, 'cause as as IM fans, we're ALL brothers. We're ALL countrymen.*

*other than Canadians

And BTW, there's probably no way to tabulate this, but I'll betcha the USA has generated more $$ for IM (tix, albums, merch, sales, etc.) than any other individual country. Right? (Maybe?) They're not coming to America 'cause they're losing $$, that's for sure...
We could probably figure this out, but I'd say the US has the best chance of being #1 for tours, just based on the size of the country.

We could probably figure this out, but I'd say the US has the best chance of being #1 for tours, just based on the size of the country.

lol yeah..... like 300 million plus here and if they do 10,000 - 40,000 per show with an average of 20 or so dates, that's between 200,000 and 400,000 people respectively. Granted they've done more dates on tours in the states. If they play to around 1.5 million people average each tour, I'd say 1/5th of the total attendance is massive for ONE COUNTRY

granted places like Sweden, Argentina and Brazil can do 50,000 plus at one show, that's likely from having one or 2 dates

Annihilator, Exciter, Voivod, Razor, Cryptopsy, Kataklysm, Infernäl Mäjesty... it's kind of pointless narrowing Canadian metal down to three bands, especially when we're dealing with the country that basically invented thrash metal with Exciter's debut album.

If you were talking about the early to mid 2000's, I would have to agree that the US crowds were probably rather disappointing for Iron Maiden standards. I was just a wee lad at the time, but I remember my aunt/uncle/mom going to see Iron Maiden at St. Louis in 2000 and they had said that during the middle part of the set list (from Sign of the Cross to Clansman), a lot of people simply lost interest and went to the bathrooms/stands. But, this really can happen anywhere. I remember reading a few people on the LOTB thread when they said Sign of the Cross was also a bathroom/drink break for a lot of people at their shows, and that's on European dates. So I don't know if it was fair to assume it was solely because they were in front of a US crowd?

I'm sure the practically non-existent Dance of Death US 2004 tour, infamous Ozzfest incident in 2005, and lack of enthusiasm for the entirety of the AMOLAD setlist in 2006 had probably further sparked this whole anti-US bias. But Iron Maiden struck gold with SBIT in 2008 for a lot of US crowds. This was also the first time I had managed to see them, since becoming a fanatic in 2006-07. And I will never forget how much the crowd was into the entire show in Chicago in June 11, 2008. And all of the reports I'd read around those times.

Add in the Maiden England and Book of Souls tours being VERY successful here in the States, based partly on my attendances (which I started to hit multiple cities in 2012 onwards) and reviews I'd read on the internet at those times, and I'm pretty confident in saying that (if there ever had been a lapse in US enthusiasm over the recent decade) Iron Maiden has definitely brought about a second wind here amongst fans.

I definitely think this is Iron Maiden's second peak here in the States. I thought Chicago's 2017 TBOS date was going to look like crap attendance-wise following 2016's arena sellout, but they packed 14,000 into our shed. Back-to-back years? They accomplished the same thing w/New York and Vegas in replicating attendance numbers from 2016. That's pretty damn good for the same tour.

Looks like my post ruffled a few feathers lol.

It was meant to be a joke. Oh well, apologies if anyone was offended.

As a half-American, I actually relate to the sentiment of the joke. I get really frustrated at American Maiden gigs when 50% of the crowd doesn't start paying attention until one of the classics is introduced.

Though the other 50% usually is pretty dedicated and will debate the nuanced details of Blaze's departure or their favorite obscure IM cover sleeve at the beer tent (much like we do on the board here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back