Unplayed live songs and the future of Maiden: what's next?

I was actually thinking about the debut album in relation to this thread today. Here's something wild: disregarding Iron Maiden and Wrathchild, we haven't had anything from the first two albums since Maiden England.
I wouldn't say that's too absurd, those 2 albums are neither from the Golden Era (so, not very famous) nor on top of most diehards lists. I can't see them doing a tour revisiting them again.

And outside of those 2 you mentioned, they only played somewhat regularly Phantom (that I think is due to a comeback soon), Sanctuary and Running Free. Outside of the Early Days tour, only Killers was played after the reunion and only for the first tour. Hopefully they realized there's no need to play those 2 used as closers when you have one as good as Wasted Years that's also more famous. I'd say Phantom probably comes back if they do a 50th anniversary tour and Killers might also be in the shortlist, but that's about it. If they do intend to dig deeper, I can see them doing something like Remember Tomorrow.

I wouldn't say that's too absurd, those 2 albums are neither from the Golden Era (so, not very famous) nor on top of most diehards lists. I can't see them doing a tour revisiting them again.
? Both of them are widely considered to be among the greatest metal albums of all time. I could do without Killers myself but the debut is absolutely legendary.

? Both of them are widely considered to be among the greatest metal albums of all time. I could do without Killers myself but the debut is absolutely legendary.
I agree, but they aren't legendary to the point of the run of NOTB through 7th Son. And I love the debut myself as well, I just don't see them doing another tour revisiting them once again since the main bulk of their classics aren't in there and I can't see another addition to Iron Maiden and Wrathchild in future tours besides Phantom (or Killers, but that's already a stretch).

I agree, but they aren't legendary to the point of the run of NOTB through 7th Son. And I love the debut myself as well, I just don't see them doing another tour revisiting them once again since the main bulk of their classics aren't in there.
I would argue that the debut is far more legendary than Somewhere in Time, and we’re getting a whole tour for that right now. I agree that I don’t think they’ll revisit it again though, aside from bringing “Phantom” back.

I would argue that the debut is far more legendary than Somewhere in Time, and we’re getting a whole tour for that right now. I agree that I don’t think they’ll revisit it again though, aside from bringing “Phantom” back.
Yeah, I even thought about omitting SIT from there, I get your point, but SIT has been considered a cult classic for a while (and a top pick between many diehards) and the whole point of the tour is "bringing justice" to it after being overlooked since it was released.

And yeah, it was mostly a bad choice of words on my part. Undisputable classics, but not to the point where they would revisit it again imo. I can maybe see them doing something like that for Powerslave 40th anniversary with Rime in a 50th anniversary tour (and the title track).

I see a lot of comments of people saying they don’t know where Maiden can go from here given that they’ve now covered all the major 80s tours. Don’t overestimate Maiden’s ability to contrive a theme for a greatest hits tour. After Maiden England and especially after the band was really enthusiastic about Book of Souls, a lot of us thought that Maiden would just go straight to making another album since they explicitly said that Maiden England would be the last of the “history of” themed tours. Of course we were wrong and they were able to use a video game (again) to put together a hits tour. I’m sure if they want to do something like that again they can figure out a theme, like a tour based on the beer or something. I would also say that even though we’ve had Early Days and Powerslave themed tours, those were a long time ago. In fact, we are about as far removed from the Early Day tour as we were from the original Piece of Mind tour when Maiden did Early Days. So I don’t think it’s ridiculous to imagine them revisiting either of those themes again, especially if it’s a farewell type of tour.

But it’s also why I think playing an entire classic album live is a sensible option. We’ve had tours themed after Powerslave, Seventh Son, and NOTB already, but it has been awhile for some of those. Plus the NOTB themed tour was a really short summer run that wasn’t really much more than their usual type of show plus the added COTD deep cut. They’re hardly playing anything off Beast on the current tour and even Legacy of the Beast, despite the name, only featured the three hits. A mega world tour where they play the entire album live would be something different compared to what they’re doing now but also not too far removed from the usual Maiden formula.

Reactions: Yax
I see a lot of comments of people saying they don’t know where Maiden can go from here given that they’ve now covered all the major 80s tours. Don’t overestimate Maiden’s ability to contrive a theme for a greatest hits tour. After Maiden England and especially after the band was really enthusiastic about Book of Souls, a lot of us thought that Maiden would just go straight to making another album since they explicitly said that Maiden England would be the last of the “history of” themed tours. Of course we were wrong and they were able to use a video game (again) to put together a hits tour. I’m sure if they want to do something like that again they can figure out a theme, like a tour based on the beer or something. I would also say that even though we’ve had Early Days and Powerslave themed tours, those were a long time ago. In fact, we are about as far removed from the Early Day tour as we were from the original Piece of Mind tour when Maiden did Early Days. So I don’t think it’s ridiculous to imagine them revisiting either of those themes again, especially if it’s a farewell type of tour.

But it’s also why I think playing an entire classic album live is a sensible option. We’ve had tours themed after Powerslave, Seventh Son, and NOTB already, but it has been awhile for some of those. Plus the NOTB themed tour was a really short summer run that wasn’t really much more than their usual type of show plus the added COTD deep cut. They’re hardly playing anything off Beast on the current tour and even Legacy of the Beast, despite the name, only featured the three hits. A mega world tour where they play the entire album live would be something different compared to what they’re doing now but also not too far removed from the usual Maiden formula.
Indeed, you’re not wrong. In fact, I actually think they’ll do another hits tour after the future past, in a 50th anniversary tour. I just don’t see the first two albums being first in line for that. I can see a tour revolving around NOTB, if not playing in its entirety, at least 6 or 7 songs.

And not an unplayed song, but I still think they’ll bring out Rime once again before the band ends.

I can't imagine them doing anything focused on the first two albums anymore and definitely not anything from the Blaze years. Even with the fan and band enthusiasm for some of those songs, they've been done, they've been well-represented, and I imagine the last few years of touring are going to be spent highlighting the songs made with this lineup (or the classic lineup).

The songs I've been wanting to hear live.......
Still Life
TTLBLAH
Prodigal Son
The Duellists.....THE FUCKING DUELLISTS!!!!!!!!

They might play OTGDY, but just because Steve said he thought they should and it's not a particularly out there song for them to do like most of the other unplayed tunes they have. Also CIPWM made it to this tour Agnes jokes and all after the listening party from 2021, which is also where Steve mused about the possibility of playing OTGDY live.

I just need to hear Bruce do The Aftermath or When Two Worlds Collide.
Bruce has done five Blaze songs which isn't bad going.

I think that's all we are going to get.

I'd love to see him so Blood on the World's Hands but the audience wouldnt care about any songs of those albums other than the five they've already done as they're the most well known I think

They might play OTGDY, but just because Steve said he thought they should and it's not a particularly out there song for them to do like most of the other unplayed tunes they have. Also CIPWM made it to this tour Agnes jokes and all after the listening party from 2021, which is also where Steve mused about the possibility of playing OTGDY live.
When did Steve say that

I can't imagine them doing anything focused on the first two albums anymore and definitely not anything from the Blaze years. Even with the fan and band enthusiasm for some of those songs, they've been done, they've been well-represented, and I imagine the last few years of touring are going to be spent highlighting the songs made with this lineup (or the classic lineup).
I just want Futureal back

Back