Unleash The Archers

They are overproduced, but she does them live. Look on YouTube, she’s concentrating super hard but she usually hits em all.
Definitely a band I'd like to see live. The studios vocals are heavily produced and to the point that I suspect it's not giving the band the credit they deserve.

I have to say, Abyss is fucking stellar. From the folksy melodies in the opening song to the return of those melodies in the grandiose album closer, it’s great (and I’ve only had one proper listen so far).

Too bad the mix is shit and there’s less bass guitar than ...And Justice for All.

I've only been listening to singles, I like the track "Abyss." If I ever get to a level of dispossable income comfortable enough to buy CDs again, I'm definitely getting their discography.

I've only been listening to singles, I like the track "Abyss." If I ever get to a level of dispossable income comfortable enough to buy CDs again, I'm definitely getting their discography.

Apex and Abyss are honestly the only two you need. There are some good songs on the first couple albums, but mostly they are incredibly juvenile compared to these last two records.

Apex and Abyss are honestly the only two you need. There are some good songs on the first couple albums, but mostly they are incredibly juvenile compared to these last two records.

I've noticed that with some bands. I liked them as a teen/young adult and now I cringe at the naivite and silliness of some of their early works, then there are others that still hold up for whatever reason (fun to sing along to, musical prowess, etc) and others are the opposite, Metallica comes to mind. Those early albums are still mindblowing but from Load on.... just... ugh.

Apex is tremendous. Abyss I'm still not sold on and don't think it's going to be a grower. I'm not keen on warm and upbeat keyboards being so prominent, and they've lost a lot of the dramatic feel of the previous album. Maybe it's partly a production thing, but it sounds a bit too middle of the road and verging on a metal/pop/dance music sound.

Apex is tremendous. Abyss I'm still not sold on and don't think it's going to be a grower. I'm not keen on warm and upbeat keyboards being so prominent, and they've lost a lot of the dramatic feel of the previous album. Maybe it's partly a production thing, but it sounds a bit too middle of the road and verging on a metal/pop/dance music sound.

The melodies are definitely much hookier and I think that adds to the "pop" vibe you're getting. I got the same thing on a couple songs, especially Through Stars, though I don't think it ever actually ventures into pop/dance territory. If anything, that song stands out for sounding like Sabaton/Battle Beast more than UtA and hence the confusion.

100% the production taints this album, it's just...muddy and full of mids. There's virtually no bass and the guitars really don't have much crunch. Lead tones are great, vocals sound great, but the mix and master is not good. Don't mind the keyboards at all and I honestly don't find them to be too prominent in most songs.

I perservered but ended up back listening to Apex instead. After all the dramatic, grandiose warlike stuff that really is their forte, I find Abyss' sunny, warm and uplifting feel a bit of an anticlimax. Even the songs that start quite well have a habit of going quite tame into the verse or chorus. Maybe they are, in fact, past their apex. :(

I perservered but ended up back listening to Apex instead. After all the dramatic, grandiose warlike stuff that really is their forte, I find Abyss' sunny, warm and uplifting feel a bit of an anticlimax. Even the songs that start quite well have a habit of going quite tame into the verse or chorus. Maybe they are, in fact, past their apex. :(

I think we've yet to hear their best work. The jump in quality from the first three albums to Apex is nothing short of astounding. All this band needs to make their masterpiece is a better producer and a new bassist.

Well okay, Abyss grew on me, that was unexpected. Taking in the lyrics more helped, and I did read that they fully intended a more sci-fi feel to the new album, seeing as The Immortal saga moved from a fantasy sword-wielding world to a sci fi universe....in the space of 60 years, apparently. So I can swallow the keyboards, more synthetic and the less 'metal' feel overall in light of this needing to sound more electronic and spacey. They also appear to have lost a member since Apex. A second guitarist maybe? That would explain a lot about their sound.

The uplifting stuff fits the story, I guess, this one's about hope, vengeance, and freedom. The storyline itself isn't as engaging as Apex. There's less grittiness and passion in the music, the lyrics and the plot, although it's nice to have an ending to the story they created. I still have fingers crossed for what they can do in future, they have real creative flair. Make it swords and conquests and stuff again, please. And maybe come and tour in the UK when coronavirus has quit coronavirusing.

They also appear to have lost a member since Apex. A second guitarist maybe? That would explain a lot about their sound.

A bassist. There seems to be little insight into it, but to my ears there is absolutely no bass guitar on the record. Love the songs, but there's definitely low end missing.

Eek, that would definitely explain a lot. I was just listening to some of Apex this afternoon and thinking the ominous, heavy bass in places was a nice touch.

Just watching the re-run of the album launch performance they did in August. The band sound phenomenal, and the bass (with their substitute bass player, who looks really out of place, but can play well) is a lot more prominent, which does give a different sound to the new Abyss material. Nicely filmed gig too. Only downside is there's some problem with the volume, so the entire performance is very quiet. :mad: I'm hoping this gets resolved while the event is still live. They'll surely release this performance as a live video at some point, though, it's very high quality.

Just watching the re-run of the album launch performance they did in August. The band sound phenomenal, and the bass (with their substitute bass player, who looks really out of place, but can play well) is a lot more prominent, which does give a different sound to the new Abyss material. Nicely filmed gig too. Only downside is there's some problem with the volume, so the entire performance is very quiet. :mad: I'm hoping this gets resolved while the event is still live. They'll surely release this performance as a live video at some point, though, it's very high quality.

Bought a ticket and gonna watch tonight! I’m glad to hear they hired a bassist (at least for this gig) to fill out the sound instead of playing to tracks

The bassist played on Abyss, they said. I don't think he's a permanent band member, though. He does look quite a bit older and not at all like the rest of the band!

Back