Unleash The Archers

After discovering them with Apex , i'm hyped of whats to come

After listening to the intro, all I can think is, ahh, it's UTA's Somewhere in Time.

And I'm pretty OK with that. Fuck, I want more already.

Also Britney Slayes hairwhipped me in the face once and it might be on the top 5 things that have ever happened to me.

Yes, I was going to go to BC to see them in April, just to try to get a repeat.

I mean I'm getting the tshirt with my preorder, bare minimum. Might get the hoodie too.

Damn that little snippet has me hyped.

Dunno why everyone hates the album art, personally I think it's awesome in a very 70s sci-fi manner

I thought of 70s Sci-Fi too. It's the sort of thing I can see the opening or closing sequence of a show like Blake's 7.

I just finished listening to the first two albums again. Both aren't great, but there's more there than the first time I listened to them a few months ago. I get the sense that the guitar player who left after Demons of the AstroWaste was behind a lot of the more metalcorey stuff, because Time Stands Still is more melodic. It still falls far short of the genius of Apex though.

I listened to Time Stands Still again and there's a few good songs on there (and some that would be fun to hear live even if I don't love them), but boy is the production and guitar tone just terrible. The songwriting, even when good, is really meandering (often to a detrimental degree). Take "Tonight We Ride" for example, it's really cool, but the verse, pre-chorus, and chorus are all about equal length and it makes an otherwise ass-kicking song drag. The growl parts actually slow the song down and make it less successful, as does the bass lead part. The "video edit" found on Spotify is actually far superior.

I still don't know how this album and Apex are only two years apart, because they are light years apart in terms of songwriting quality. It's like if Maiden released Seventh Son immediately after Killers.

Well, Time Stands Still was the first Nuclear Blast album, but I believe it was still recorded and mixed locally. Apex was mixed by Jacob Hansen in Denmark, who has worked in metal extensively - Epica, Delain, Volbeat. Part of it is certainly having access to a upper-mid level producer.

I wasn't as keen on the use of keyboards in that, but I'll need to hear the full song to form an overall impression of the song.

Back