UK Politics

So while everyone (left and right of political scene) is being so scathing about BBC news coverage, Sky goes and runs a story highlighting how the deputy leader of one party took out a loan for a boob job. Regardless that the rest of the interview was about all sorts of aspects of her life and career, and her party's policies. Nope. Woman borrows cash for boob job after gaining weight in pregnancy.

So while everyone (left and right of political scene) is being so scathing about BBC news coverage, Sky goes and runs a story highlighting how the deputy leader of one party took out a loan for a boob job. Regardless that the rest of the interview was about all sorts of aspects of her life and career, and her party's policies. Nope. Woman borrows cash for boob job after gaining weight in pregnancy.

It is pathetically sexist, isn’t it? :mad:

Last edited:
Yes, more on the mockery side. But still, I think the boobs thing was more of taboo category than sexism. Not that I read the reporting but based on the belief that UK's media & pc attitude have left sexism behind.

I'm still baffled what the point of the article was. It was the deputy Labour leader they were talking about (popular target, she was the one who got the 'Sharon Stone' comments after not sitting with her legs crossed or whatever in Parliament). They might have been trying to imply that she used public money, but they were also highlighting stuff about her saying she was out of shape after pregnancy. In Daily Mail style reporting this could have been an opportunity for 'real mums' to accuse of her of vanity.

Or maybe she's criticised debt culture before, and she got a loan for the operation. Who knows. It was definitely barbed, I just can't work out in what way.

In more important UK Politics news. The Conservatives took an absolute hammering yesterday in the local elections, performing worse than their own expectation management predictions. Labour are now the largest party in local government for the first time since 2002.

Alexa, play Things Can Only Get Better by DR:EAM

One unimportant question: How's possible the mortal Camilla spouse of Charles is now Queen when the nobleman Philippe, husband of Elisabeth II was only Prince?

One unimportant question: How's possible the mortal Camilla spouse of Charles is now Queen when the nobleman Philippe, husband of Elisabeth II was only Prince?
As an outsider I’m going to guess it’s due to patriarchal preference. If there’s a King, it’s assumed he’s the monarch and the Queen is not. But if the Queen is the monarch, then her husband needs a lower title to make it clear she’s the monarch. But I’m just speculating.

There is a rule/tradition in the British Royal Family that a man marrying into the family does not receive the equivalent male title of his wife, so Philip was given the title of Prince Consort instead.

Back