UK Politics

Focussing on the least terrible direction, most important now is.

So, what is the least terribly direction @CriedWhenBrucieLeft @Black Wizard ?
Do you dare to speak our on that?

Is continuing in the May direction a more favourable way than a second referendum?
Any other realistic scenario?
For the country I think the "least terribly" direction would be for the government/parliament to admit they don't have a clue how to leave the EU and just shelve the whole thing. Many politicians would look stupid in the process and probably have to end their careers, but they've collectively looked stupid for the last three years.

That won't happen though. As I've said earlier in the thread, Brexit is like the Kobayashi Maru. It is a no-win scenario. Another referendum doesn't guarantee the result that you want and puts the country through months of shit again. If there's a delay to Brexit and a hypothetical referendum doesn't overturn the result of the initial one then we could still have the same impasse with Deal or No Deal. Hardcore Brexit MPs could say that we've been in the EU longer than we were supposed to and paid into the budget for longer than we'd planned, so we shouldn't pay the £39B divorce fee.

There is no good way out of this.

I get what you're saying (and fearing) but what is months of going through shit compared to this generation and the next ones staying deep in shit? What's worse in the long run?

Nothing guarantees what "you" want. But at least, some serious (change of) direction can be taken with a second referendum.

Perhaps there will be a time when hardcore Brexit MPs (and other advocates) will not be taken serious anymore.

The time for a second referendum has come and passed shortly after the May Agreement was negotiated. At this stage, the UK has three options: Abandon Brexit via Parliament vote (will not occur), May Agreement (with minor modifications) or no-deal Brexit. The EU needs to make it completely clear that they will brook no delay and that the end of March date must be respected.

what is months of going through shit compared to this generation and the next ones staying deep in shit? What's worse in the long run?
I doubt the next few generations would be in deep shit. Things would settle down after a while and the country would recover. Not that it would be better or the same as before, but future generations won't be in deep shit indefinitely.

some serious (change of) direction can be taken with a second referendum
Can be taken, but it's not a certainty. We could end up with a situation where the country votes to stay after all, but by a narrower margin than we voted to leave in 2016. How do we interpret the result then?
So when is the British lion going to roar again?
When Steve Harris has time to record a new album with the bald guy.

Foro I can't see the "deep shit" level even if they do the hardest Brexit possible. Some prices are going to go up, some are going to go down. For the individual in the UK, it will matter how its employer gets connected to the EU market. The things will get more expensive, but UK people aren't living on the edge of their budgets (on average) anyway.

I lean towards a significant contraction of the UK economy in the instance of a hard Brexit. S&P was estimating 7-8% contraction, which is worse than anything since the Great Depression.

I lean towards a significant contraction of the UK economy in the instance of a hard Brexit. S&P was estimating 7-8% contraction, which is worse than anything since the Great Depression.
tenor.gif

There will be an economic downturn for a few years, as Britain adjusts to the new situation, but I don't exactly see how a G7 country with assets all over the world would be screwed up for good. Nobody, including the EU would want the UK barred from the European market, so I'd be interested in the details of how the UK would stay in deep shit for generations.

Big week in Brexitland.

Parliament will reject the PM's deal again tomorrow. On Wednesday Parliament will vote on whether or not to leave the EU with no deal. If Parliament votes not to leave with no deal there will be a vote on Thursday on extending article 50.

:dancinggeek:

There will be an economic downturn for a few years, as Britain adjusts to the new situation, but I don't exactly see how a G7 country with assets all over the world would be screwed up for good. Nobody, including the EU would want the UK barred from the European market, so I'd be interested in the details of how the UK would stay in deep shit for generations.
Prices will go up, products will get scarce. That's shit for the poor(er) people in the UK.

I have been stockpiling in case shit does hit the fan and we leave with no deal. I've got plenty of rice, cooking oil, tinned soup, noodles and stir fry sauce to keep me going until things smooth out. Hopefully it will turn out to be unnecessary, but I'll eventually eat it all anyway.

I've been stockpiling shit & have bought a couple of fans. I've got plenty of shit, fans, tinned shit, noodle shit and stir fry shit sauce to keep me going. Hopefully it will turn out to be unnecessary, but if required I'll turn the fan on & throw shit at it. I'll eventually eat it all anyway.

I've been stockpiling shit & have bought a couple of fans. I've got plenty of shit, fans, tinned shit, noodle shit and stir fry shit sauce to keep me going. Hopefully it will turn out to be unnecessary, but if required I'll turn the fan on & throw shit at it. I'll eventually eat it all anyway.
Yum.

Back