UK Politics

I'm not sure. It suits the most malicious and self-serving backbenchers to keep him where he is for now, so they can pull the strings and push through even more radical knee-jerk stuff. But the fact that so much stuff that has been widely known in his party, but kept from the public eye for so long, got out makes me think there's now significant opposition to him in his own party.

Diehard Tory voters are another thing entirely. They vote Tory no matter how abhorrent they find the parliamentary party or the leadership, because it's the done thing. It's the party that does the right and proper thing for the country (England? - still not convinced about that). Voting Labour is dangerously subversive and oh-so-common, no matter how middle of the road they go, and you hear the same old comments about the economy doing better, share prices and house prices going up, when the Tories are in power. "They've got my interests at heart, deep down." Except they don't. Seen so many Tory voting faithfuls screwed over by them. Left with nothing because they did what the Tories keep encouraging. Piled all their money into houses that are worth crap all, thinking they'd have a small fortune to retire on, or managing to save just enough to rule them out of being able to get any kind of welfare when they suddenly find they need it, and still not having enough to live on.

The token Tory voters are the ones most convinced by the media circus approach. Those who complain that Labour councils never helped them in any shape or form (which they couldn't because local authorities are hamstrung by Westminster). Those who think it's a badge of going up in the world to vote Tory. Those who just think it's daring and swimming against the current locally.

The nations drifting even further apart is what I see. The pandemic has really shown everywhere other than Westminster taking the lead.

Boris is basically made of teflon. All the shit just slides off. His voters don't care what he does and the Tories have turned distraction into an art form. That's why he's off to Ukraine to play Billy Big Bollocks.

He is a greased piglet! :mad:

That being said, there seems to be a high number of Tory MPs who are disgusted. Let’s hope they do the right thing and kick him out.

I'm just concerned about who's left. They've been sidelining the more sensible parliamentary party members for a long time now in favour of any nutball who will wave a Brexit flag and dance along to Boris. Goodness knows what radical weirdness they've got in now.

I saw similar happening at local authority level about ten years ago. Self serving and seriously dodgy little despots were pushing out the voices of reason and installing their own followers. The makeup of the parliamentary and regional/local authority party is now likely full of some very bad choices, which don't reflect even old school Tory voters that well.

I was reading an extract of Alan Bennett's House Arrest: Pandemic Diaries and the entry for 15th December 2020 is spot on:

"There were those in 1914 who believed that war was just what was needed - as a cleanser and salutary shock. England would be better for it. As we wait for the result of the final Brexit talks, the heirs of these fools are still with us"

What a scathing, albeit incredibly accurate, depiction of the toffs responsible for this foolish madness.

Anyone watching Boris' last stand? Been highly amusing today. Or it would be amusing if it wasn't likely that an even bigger nutball with even fewer scruples will likely become Prime Minister.

I do wonder if Boris will go, or if he might just trigger an election and burn it all down.

Even Patel is against him now. He's gotta go.

I just realized that the only British PM I ever liked was Gordon Brown..
I liked him. New Labour was getting a bit old and tired when he took over, though. Their appeal was based on Blair's charisma, and rebranding of Labour - many would say turning the party into Red Tories. Starmer is attempting something similar at the moment.

Anyone watching Boris' last stand? Been highly amusing today. Or it would be amusing if it wasn't likely that an even bigger nutball with even fewer scruples will likely become Prime Minister.

I am following it quite closely. Here's hoping the greased piglet has had its day and I can celebrate the end of the premiership of - arguably - the worst PM this country has had since World War Two.

I liked him. New Labour was getting a bit old and tired when he took over, though. Their appeal was based on Blair's charisma, and rebranding of Labour - many would say turning the party into Red Tories. Starmer is attempting something similar at the moment.

Although I am at the left of Labour, I realise that (sadly, perhaps) with the UK electoral system the only way for a progressive party to be elected is by occupying the middle ground.

Unfortunately I can’t say there’s any Tories waiting in the wings that I’d be excited about as leader. Still the leadership election will provide some amusement

Back