Tron's Maiden Countdown - ROTAM and AMOLAD win

Re: Tron's Maiden Countdown!

Sad to see Aces High so low, as well as MoM and TTAL. Nice choices otherwise! :)

top 50!

#50 - 22 Acacia Avenue - The better song for me of the Charlotte saga. Again starting as accepting Charlotte as a common hooker with Bruce singing like her pimp in a drawing, cheeky sound. The tone then drops with the story getting a bit more dark molest her, she only does what you want a sad swaying melody then leads into a section continuing to doubt her lifestyle. Bruce instead of a pimp begins a sound more as someone trying to take her away from it all. The duality of Bruces lyric and the running escape pace throughout (earlier on probably not running though  :lol:)

#49 - Can I Play With Madness - I really love the singles from SSoaSS, this ones just so fun. It sounds Distant and mysterious with Bruce exploring his more dark narrator side. the Guitar accompanying the chorus (and all the way through for that matter) is mesmerising and produce a really distinctive sound. This could well be the most fun song theyve ever produced for me and just flows on like a fairytale before dropping into that solo that while not being the best sweeps up the energy amazingly into the last chorus. This was probably the second song by them i heard and it was just so amazing for me then so im thankful to it.

#48 - Judas be my Guide - opening with high guitars and a great driving drumline. Bruce is at top form from the album here and his voice describes the story brilliantly exploding into life for the chorus from the raspy voice used for the darker tones creating more emotion for the story. The guitars are equally as powerful building and growing signalling the approach of the chorus that carries the song in my opinion.

Album #9 - Somewhere in Time -  :ninja:
cd-cover.jpg

A good album getting 7.39 by me. The annoyance i find from it is how blanketed Bruces voice is by spaceage effects, if it was only in emotional parts or for power in areas i wouldnt mind but its like a constant feature and only really lends itself to two songs (that have already appeared as the lyric story or instrumental didnt appeal to me). Otherwise its full of brilliant instrumental for the best part of the album and still great.

Saw that one coming  :lol: still got a good rating overall and a good album but for me the vocals are a big negative. Good that they were trying out new things to help but it didnt strike well with me unfortunately

SiT is overrated IMO and is dropping on my list. Alright choices but all would be about 40 spots lower for me.

Oh dear, I can't agree with SiT being at #9 in the album list, at all. For me, the is the best sounding album Maiden have done. It has the same concept (altho' not regarded as such) feel to it as SSoaSS, but is better. I can listen to this album from start to finish without any complaint. I find it hard to fault. So, no, I'd personally have it (far) higher; & I'm genuinely gobsmacked at all the albums you're going to put ahead of it. In fact, you must be kidding, right?

JBMG is hilarious. Love it.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
you must be kidding, right?

Errr... no? I cant think of any remaining albums that dont deserve to be there  :huh:
Each to their own and that, lets not get militant  :lol: I would only be kidding if this was the madness forum.

I didn't notice the list at the beginiing of the thread. Very handy.

So, albums. No, you are kidding, aren't you? Or you're mad...
Lets see...
#9 - Somewhere in Time
#10 - Killers [read Iron Maiden]
#11 - Fear of the Dark
#12 - No Prayer for the Dying
#13 - Killers
#14 - The X Factor
#15 - Virtual XI
So you've still got: [IM], TNotB, POM, Powerslave, SSoaSS, BNW, DoD, AMoLaD, & TFF to go.

Hmmm. Bar TFF, which I reserve criticism & placement for another year (it's too new), I'd say (in my humble opinion) most of those would struggle up against SiT. I respect anyone who is of the opinion that POM, Powerslave, SSoaSS, or AMoLaD are better. But anyone who rates any of the rest above SiT is mad, no question  :D.

Eh, is Kllers on it twice? [Corrected]

A bit busy tomorrow so my ability to post is questionable... as a result ill do tomorrows today  :eek:

#47 - Only the Good Die Young - Not the best for an album closer but again pumping energy with a fast guitar/drum intro before slowing to Bruce with some dark imagery before leading into light flow of only the good die young and an imaculate solo that moves being both sinister and happy with power. The song continues into another great guitar section to end. Another fast impressive show with a god developent of dark image which Bruce is really good at. Cant get enough Bruce metaphor.

#46 - Children of the Damned - A beautiful light melody into the more hard sweeping melody then Bruce in tender descriptive voice raising the song up, children of the damned like a scream to the heavens before being subdued once more then later swept away in a driving guitar with more dark (very dark for maiden) imagery but still in a professional manner. It erupts into a perfect soloing section moving from gentle to a fast more strange and dark solo to the end. then building to the end with the drums and Bruce leading into a long scream. I know a few people that hold this equal with HbtN but im not so fond of it.

#45 - Public Enema Number One - I dont imagine this will help my rep much after the last post but oh well i stand by it. I never used to give this song a chance because of its awful name and... an intro that was just strange. but now i realise it as probably the best of their politically directed assaults. The heavier sound dropping from the intro is perfect to begin the story and then probably the best story found in the album packed with imagery shout with poison, children cry with fear, refugees from the heartbreak and the pain all coming out fast paced building a big picture of hell on the streets with guns and riots then out into an amazing solo section for the time, summing up all the emotion. California dreaming as the earth dies screaming its just brilliant right down to the pleading chorus. Its short but a masterpiece for its subject.  :blush:

ps. need to edit that list its wrong (thanks for the help)[Done]. and ok then i must be clinically insane then, its close competition if it helps but the album list is derived from my song rankings so fair in my book. Im not massive on the early work myself and in many cases disagree with people on the late 80s albums. The tone of SiT has never really got very far with me but does show a change to making longer songs that faded before returning in the late 90s which is interesting and some songs place highly.      Oh and theres only 0.5 between SiT and 7th place (the next two tied (ill still put them in order of preference though))

Children of the Damned is top 5! Otherwise, those are some solid songs.

#44 - Alexander the Great - 2nd place from the album, held in high regard for not being played live and i can see why. It is brilliant, from an atmosperic wind and guitar section to begin into an emotive story of Atg's story portreyed with amazement in Bruces voice and its all very panto and convincing in a good way  :bigsmile:. Then back into instrumental which at 4:40 blows away with an amazing 'riff?' (my technical terms suck) then an amazing section of drum along with just perfect guitarwork. for a further 2 and a half minutes  :edmetal:
Then ending the story with Bruce to further powerful driving guitar...   Again i feel the voice is lost a bit but it does well enough

#43 - Ghost of the Navigator - The intro and up to the chorus would put it much higher, its full of both melody pushed on by a heavy drumline and whats gotta be Adrians grinding guitar giving his incredible sound since his break (he was good before, just kicks ass now). Bruce then in building the sound and story with a great tone. for me the chorus lacks a bit but its only minor. The harsh guitar behind Bruces story as i mentioned before is amazing and makes the song so much darker and more mysterious. Its goes on a bit too long for me, its full of interesting work but though the soloing is great i begin to lose attention abit. In line with the prevailing theory its probably seeing it live thats holding it up also.

#42 - Different World - Again very straight playing so not much commenting on the body of the instruments. Bruce however puts out this story with such conviction and belts out those higher/louder notes straight back down to the more gentle theme of the song brilliantly and on his front i dont think there could be any improvement atall. maiden can always be relied on to make a soloing section perfectly suited to a song and this is no exception, then back into the story before closing with a powerful instrumental  preparing for whats to come. I love the theme and havent found much agreement throughout my time, not very talked about i suppose but this for me is probably the more thematically important of their short rockers and a nice little song contrasting with what it leads into well. It asks a question then shows the devastation of turning a blind eye.

Its good to see your love for Ghost of the Navigator. It's one of the best things about BNW

#41 - No More Lies - It sounds from the opening as if something important is coming, a single guitar intro joined by the cymbals then a further melody and bruce beginning a fearful story. All building in intensity a hurried time increasing the pace and bruce singing with more conviction then into No More Lies with power if not a bit long. The story spins away anthemically and the song is somewhat a highlight of the album. its not all that depthfull but it builds amazingly and explodes into energy.

#40 - Brave New World - A beautiful intro to the imagery of dying swans, an image of almost an apocalyptic world bring this savage back home. the light sound notes along with bruces lyric is a nice touch and makes the story like a light of this dark new world. The imagery continues dying queens etc and a real feast for the mindseye imagining what must be happening. The solo is powerful and carries the pace away, immediately being hardedged and heavy being Adrian? then finishing lighter into a section of melody that always sticks in my head until 5:20 back to Bruce to finish.  A pretty good live song aswell

#39 - When the Wild Wind Blows - Its growing on me thanks to my Girlfriend convincing me to give it more listens (she loves it). I like how it intros and outros to the sound of wind like the passing of time and has such clear recognisable melodies. Used more times than Fear of the dark live i know but in this tone it really works and it sits very high in the mix. I also love how when energy is upped in the song its always done following When the wild wind blows, as if that is the moment the bomb hits. Firstly leading to the excitation of preparation so i suppose that was when the news hit and secondly i assume upon the bomb when the grand instrumental takes hold. I cant think of any other piece of music better suiting a bomb hit. It 'explodes'  ::) from the lyric with driving pace like a shockwave and after a bit of last breath lyric from bruce into soloing equally as powerful and grand, every note is well thought reaching a brilliant effect  :blush:
It ends after a sort of summarisation lyric then a final powerful guitar section and the story of the death of our characters... its so lovely
        This one im keeping an ear on as it seems to be the rise and rise of WTWWB just recently.

Album #8 - The Number of the Beast -
AudioPreview-Cover-JPEG256x256.jpg

The iconic album launching the bands international fame. It has a brilliant sound with a mixture of sound from the harsh previous grinding away in the back while showing the high melodies that were to mark the following years. Bruces appearance sparked a big change to the lyrics which become much more complex and develop more story. resulting in complex songs like Hallowed and Children of the Damned as well as staple classics like the beast and RttH. The remaining songs i see as ok but nothing too special except total eclipse which has something very special about it thats dark and edgy.

#38 - Brighter than a Thousand Suns - One of the big AMOLAD epics. filled with massive crunching guitar that speaks for the whole of the song. Opening powerfully and into Bruces Description as the previous of nuclear war with the lyrics reflecting cryptically but brilliantly the power of nuclear fusion unholy union and the power of the building out of the darkness, brighter than a thousand suns later screamed for in terror than mystery and unward to high cataclysm of soloing before the more gallopy section bury your morals etc and the compulsary term to acknowledge maths is occuring (E=MC2)  :lol:    Also in the process of climbing but not as fast as WTWWB. very atmospheric sound and Bruce at his best.

#37 - Transylvania - The best rated of the instrumentals. Its instantly recognisable and as the story goes the birth of Maiden convincing Steves writing onward, it follows a pretty straight path dipping and diving periodically away into more melodic sections. Then away into a more powerful runaway instrumental. It all moves much better than other instrumentals and since its use on the homescreen of F666 dvd i cant help but liken the flowing dipping and diving riffs to ed force one on the wing. No lyrics but still primordially exciting.

#36 - The Wicker Man - The best rocker of the noughties, punchy from the start with the killer riff as an intro from Adrian (someone was under frequent spotlighting this tour  ;))  Again a straight rocker with a catchy chorus and rythm and only benefitted from Adrian and Bruce being back this one, Especially Adrian which stands out here with that more recent heavy sound i love. The drums also come through pretty well here with cymbals crashing over the lyric. Another song benefiting from liveplay though its overplaying thats exposing flaws to me and causing it to start a fall recently

Anyway were closing in on the top end now, anyone fancy a guess at my Top ten or my Top albums?

Great picks recently! All withing +- 20 or so from where I have them!

#35 - Iron Maiden - Its awful really isnt it? But its part of the ride, when it comes on it just brings back images of the various eddies  rising up on stage and thats a special moment in any show. imagine the horror if next tour there were no Iron maiden (song) and no Eddie, a collective  ':eek:' from maidenfans across the world. Its fun with a catchy opening and an overall fanfair 'hes behind you' feel thats just one of the beautifully thought out maiden live situations (theres a reason their live shows are so similar). Basically its a fast paced good ole' head banger and from that first mad noise intro you know eddies on his way and as a part of our little community youve (however strangely) gotta be excited about that big inanimate zombie  :lol: . plus would it be unusual to actually like the guitar throughout this for how wonderfully strange it is?

#34 - Afraid to Shoot Strangers - Truly amazing, it builds gently like a desert mirage to a dark tone of war (think Blaze does this one better but Bruce is great too) The story builds like an inner voice questioning itself and moves forward becoming darker toward a decision to deploy. Though its not the subject matter this appeals to me more as a song about Iraq as thats been going on most of my life (bloody hell that long)... anyway then into an instrumental that words will never do justice to. Its just incredible and breaks free like a bird of prey both hard and marching with the drums and equally amazing and elegant with the melodies  :blush:. From there the melody is lost to a great solo then into a fast drum driven pace before being rejoined by Bruce with less than imaginative lyrics but after that instrumental he couldve defacated into the mic and i wouldnt care. Ending with that melody again and lighter renditions of the title.

#33 - The Clansman - The best song from its album with no small part to its performance in Rock in Rio which i love. Blazes voice is more for it but it benefited greatly from Bruces showmanship. Low bass in the intro and a distant almost orchestral sound with a fast plucking guitar line creating a tribal feel along with Blazes intro to the song. Down into the anger of it all singing of the clans and all the proudness of the bloodline that befits the story of the Clans. The sort of heavy ties to the story of braveheart with the Freedom chorus is a bit wearing and would love a song centred rather on the Clanswars pre-England getting bossy. It has a brilliant heavily instrumental section near the end (i can see why Bruce broke into dance  :lol:), The guitar over the final chorus is a really nice touch and i love how the songs so well furnished with melody throughout aswell as drumwork like the very present hi-hat? work

Back