Tron's Maiden Countdown - ROTAM and AMOLAD win

Re: Tron's Maiden Countdown!

I was considering it  :lol: im hoping the blasphemies might cool down after this one. ... oh crap. erm ok maybe limited to one blasphemy per post after this one.  :S

Its not that its bad, it gets a low7/10 for me so its still pretty good. ive just got a good 60 7/10s so its competetive to seperate them as theyre the ones im battling through now that are great songs but dont do anything special for me and i have to try give a reason  :bigsmile:. what have i taken on

When Two Worlds Collide is a nice song and deserves to be higher, but that isn't the blapshemy. :p

Die With Your Boots On is an awesome track in my opinion. In fact, it only just missed out on my top 25 :p It's fun, catchy and with a supreme bridge section.

Unknown One said:
supreme bridge section.
Yeh... what you said  :p i hope nobody starts talking about notes and tabs  :innocent:
its fun and catchy but i try and relate everything back to the story and in that i cant quite grasp how it all fits together. There are a few fun songs that carry themselves through pretty far ive never really connected with this one though.

I'm definitely not the guy that will be bringing up notes and tabs then. Actually I don't even really know any technical terms about music, I just know the songs I like. :)

Alright choices, I would have all of them a bit higher though besides Tailgunner. Don't like Virtual XI last though :)

GK 137th?! Oh dear. This has some great music in it. I don't really like the drums earlier on; you don't need drumming like this --Nicko creates speed & drive without dominating the music like here. But from about 1:47 to finish --I love this. Very atmospheric; reflective; makes me think of other places & other times. Lovely, simple, repetitive (mesmorising) guitar work. I always thought this section would sound great in some film. It sets it's own pace. Makes me think of vistas, landscape & journey... But, I suppose, difficult to rate the whole composition. Maiden have written far, far worse. Better then 137th I think.

DWYBO 131st?! Oh dear, oh dear. The start, with the use (more so live) of right hand harmonics (one of H's favourite techniques), and then the rhythm coming in --I love this to bits. Much like the flawless way the rhythm comes in at the start of The Clairvoyant --so smooth; just springs up as if it has always been playing away, and you only just noticed it. The verses & vocals I like; but fair enough if you don't. But, Dave's lead; the lovely harmonising interlude at 3:22; Brucie's rising vocals --and then H's solo. Goosepimples! That crescendo to the high bends mid-solo... incredible. To me this is the perfect example of what early Maiden lead work was all about. You can hear is spattered all over the POM/Powerslave/SiT/SSoaSS era; but it's sadly lacking (so consistently) in later work. I'm a defender of Janick, but H's solos are so well crafted & musical. I'd love to hear this live, in person.

I don't personally agree or disagree with anything else --but I think these two are better. Virtual XI 15th? I'd say XF is worse.

well the best thing about this forum is we all have different views and expectation of the music of one band and still we are all big fans, a tribute to the fanbase of maiden we are. And id like to think were all generaly interested in each others views, i know i am and in forum world thats a god send. id like to take this opportunity to thank the ModSquad for keeping out the riffraff  :ok: :wub:

in regards to virtual XI i cant really get that into it apart from the clansman which i love (watched braveheart last week  ;)). the x factor i find quite a bit better, it knows what it is and everything is dark about it. you instantly know what your getting from it and it seems to fit together better.

Whooaaa this is a controversial list  :p Should be interesting to see the other ratings!  :lol:

So far so good Tron.  Only DWYBO for me is too low, but I have friends who share your opinion.  Yes the virtual x thing is where it belongs..obviously. Love the list so far.........

#130 - Como estais amigo - Build nicely, a bit slow but overall i think Blazes voice suits this kind of song beautifully. great drum driven peak and very powerfull with a good story. if anything its one of the low rating gems it coulve been helped by being further shortened and being a short passionate number like Bruces darkness be my friend in my opinion. i used to rank this at the bottom with Gangland but both are slowly rising.

#129 - Seventh son of a seventh son:ninja: ok let me explain. i think this to be the worst song from the great album while it attempts to create an epic tale i think it fails and is alot of oooooooooooooh seventh son of a seventh son, sev... still it has brilliant melody and light flowing into more crunching sounds when ssoass is uttered and thats nice. After a point though the structure i feel goes a bit mad and solos pop in from here and there and i feel that confuses the song, some great stand alone instrumentals but i forget what im listening to and it feels like many smaller brilliant songs thrown together making one big very talented very confused song.

#128 - Deja vu - i love the melodic entrance, like a hallucination then an amazing powerful section that unfortunately leads to those dodgy lyrics, for alot of time i cant understand what bruce says for either sheer speed or the effects over his voice. I find the way the lyrics sound actually quite annoying but the instruments are so beautiful that its upsetting the vocals let them down so much. if bruces voice was left alone and not duplicated etc i think this could rate so much higher.

#127 - Gangland - Slowly risen from the bottom because ive grown to love Burrs heavy drumming (not as much as Nicko like but its nice) dead men tell no tales its not that its amazingly complex but it feels really raw which is what was great about early maiden and the great solos, attitude and energy helps. What more can i say really.

#126 - Lightning Strikes twice - not a big fan of the very electrical intro sounding very bitty and doesnt instantly catch your attention, a nice melody though into the crushins is it the rolling of thunder that scares you. Its nicely arrainged this fella with alot of power and im a fan of Blaze at speed (even if it just looks awkward live  :huh:) The solo section starts off amazing and continues on so into a less arrainged sound that fits here because when is lightning ever linear  :smartarse:  What dya know ive found another redeeming song from VXI

This countdown just lost its attraction with the 129th spot for me. Won't continue to follow it, sorry.

Oh wow, there's 3 blasphemies this time! :p

Deja Vu and Lighting Strikes Twice are both really good songs in my book (although they do have flaws) and both are around the ~60 mark in my rankings. SSoaSS, well let's just say that you will be seeing it in my countdown and you won't be seeing it for a while yet. :innocent:

EDIT: Unlike Flash I will continue to follow this, even if we don't agree on the rankings. I mean this is your countdown and rankings after all. You do give reasons as to why you don't like these songs, I've seen people just say they hate some songs and don't give any reasoning why.

The Flash said:
This countdown just lost its attraction with the 129th spot for me. Won't continue to follow it, sorry.
I knew that one would hit like a nuke XD please come back when i hit maybe the 50s if ive left you too bemused.

I seem to be on a roll with these blasphemies. Tomorrow seems pretty safe so shouldnt cause any civil wars there,

Gangland is way too high!
I'm loving your countdown, very different and its great to see such different taste :)

Everything else I would have higher :) Besides maybe Deja Vu.

Variety is the spice of life and all that. I dont know about gangland sometimes, it grows and falls peiodically and recently im enjoying it, then looked at one of Foro's posts involving a sheep finding its trail  :lol:        the bottom end fluctuates as much as the top end for me and this is only a snapshot really. Just been digging the the dark feel and its a bit groovy  :innocent:  thats still as high as itll ever get though

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 129th? BLASPHEMY!

Though I'll keep reading this thread :D

So far pretty much the only thing I agree with you about is Virtual XI being Maiden's worst album.

Your song rankings, while interesting, are very different than mine.  Interesting to read though.

Back