Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not surprised to see Caught Somewhere in Time take a huge (and deserving) lead. I voted for that one and Lord of the Flies. I really love Ides of March and Still Life but the melody in Janick's solo is so powerful.

Lord of the Flies.

Just perfect. As I've said before, I love Janick's solo tone on The X Factor. That album is for him what Somewhere in Time is for Adrian. It has fine examples of his furious fast playing, and also of his more atmospheric and melodic, drawn out notes like this one.

Still Life a clear winner for me. CSIT gets my other vote, but we hear the first note of a better solo before it cuts off.

This exactly.

Just perfect. As I've said before, I love Janick's solo tone on The X Factor. That album is for him what Somewhere in Time is for Adrian. It has fine examples of his furious fast playing, and also of his more atmospheric and melodic, drawn out notes like this one.

His tone is great, I just don't hear anything particularly interesting or engaging in this simple solo.

Still Life
Lord of the Flies

Sorry for anyone I've offended by not voting for CSIT, but it doesn't grab me as much as these two.

Lord of the Flies and The Ides of March! I really like Janick's slow solos. Usually they have amazing feel and work great with what's going on under them (like in this case). And this TIoM solo is probably the best moment on my least favourite Maiden album - what a way to introduce Adrian. Amazing solo. Still Life is a cool atmospheric bit, but compared to other solos it is not that impressive. Dave's Powerslave solo is quite similar, but a lot better in my opinion. CSiT is one of the best Maiden songs ever, but this solo is not particularly exciting. Way inferior to the Adrian's one.

The last two. The DWYBO solo is nice, but the last two have more to offer. The Holy Smoke solo starts blistering, but the rest is in that style that isn't where I enjoy Janick's playing the most.

Back