Top 5 Non-Big 4 Thrash Metal Albums?

Cowboys From Hell.
Definitely Cowboys From Hell.

#1 on my thrash list. With a wide margin between the rest - Rust In Peace, Peace Sells from Megadeth, Justice/Lightning from Metallica and Seasons from Slayer

Never liked Sepultura. Musically they were OK in the early days I guess (now they're utter garbage), but Max was a horrible vocalist (still is). Current singer is also horrible but slightly better than Max. Never got the hype around them.

I would describe Sepultura as tight, heavy and intense music, with one of the better drummers in the scene. At some point they brought in slower, more groovy rhythms. Very cool. Haven't followed them well since Max left.

I'd take Chaos A.D. over most stuff listed here. War for Territory!!!!
Not pure trash, but it's there. Kick ass riffs.

Last edited:
Yes, of course. I've listened to a lot of Sepultura. They were one of the "gateway" bands into more extreme metal for me. I've never been a big fan of the Schizophrenia album though, I think the production kills the mood for me on that one. My favorites are Beneath The Remains, Arise and Chaos A.D.

Who knows Helstar? Great thrash band with power metal leanings (The more aggressive, US Power Metal style, not the wimpy one :p)

But otherwise... Hmmm, let me think:

1. Toxik - Think This
2. Kreator - Coma of Souls (probably - their first 5 albums are all eligible)
3. Voivod - Killing Technology
4. Heathen - Victims of Deception
5. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

6. Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

This list is very off-the-top-of-my-head: writing these my thoughts ran away to many others (Mekong Delta, Coroner, Watchtower, Vektor, Possessed, Overkill, Sodom, Slaughter, Sepultura, probably Forbidden). Never liked Exodus all that much and I've never head Testament yet. It just made me realize there's so much of good thrash in the world... yet bar the first 4 bands I hardly even listen to it nowadays.

Destruction - Infernal overkill
Kreator - Endless pain
Kreator - Pleasure to kill
Celtic Frost - Morbid tales
Exodus - Bonded by blood

1. Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

Beats all big 4 albums, best thrash album ever.
Darkness Descends is one of my all time favorite albums. So many brutal tracks on there. The Burning of Sodom takes my cake.

Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare would be on there too for a secondary big 4

Don't know much about Dark Angel the band, but the tv show gave the world the gift that is Jessica Alba!
MaxGuerera-DarkAngel.jpg

Back on topic, do early Iced Earth and/or Blind Guardian count as "thrash"? If so, they'd be on my list.

do yourself a favor and pick up Darkness Descends.... Key tracks being Darkness Descends, Burning of Sodom, Merciless Death, Hunger of the Undead, ah hell, the whole album is nuts

Great thread don't know how I missed it, here's mine:

1. Overkill - The Years of Decay*
2. Razor - Violent Restitution*
3. Sodom - M-16
4. Dirty Rotten Imbeciles - Dealing With It!
5. Sabbat - Dreamweaver (Reflections of Our Yesterdays)**

* Top 5 Metal albums of all time
** Favorite album I heard for the first time in 2015

Back