Tool

Okay, so I’m doing Metallica (and Megadeth when they’re complete), Ghost, The Metal Essentials, Tool, and the Iced Earth - Savatage - Bolt Thrower - Blind Guardian thing.

Oh, and... Devin Townsend I guess.

There go my next few months.
Don't forget about Dream Theater! They have a new album coming out in a few weeks..

@Collin do you want me to a big Tool review thing like I'm doing for Metallica, or just a simple "listen to the album, write down my thoughts" affair like the 365 albums thing.

Is anybody else skeptic? I mean it took them decade to make an album and vocal melodies were done in a couple of weeks. I know Maynard kept himself busy last decade, but I hope this wasn't half-assed.

First impression of Undertow is less than good. Outside of the songs I knew, only maybe two or three others stood out to me, with everything else I found I only liked bits of them rather than as a whole and that they felt far longer than they actually were.

First impression of Undertow is less than good. Outside of the songs I knew, only maybe two or three others stood out to me, with everything else I found I only liked bits of them rather than as a whole and that they felt far longer than they actually were.
Undertow is a little underwhelming and easily the worst Tool album. Personally I only like tracks 2-6 and 4 degrees. The rest are mostly middle of the road songs that are kind of forgettable. Nothing is terrible
though.

Have you listened to Opiate yet?

I only like tracks 2-6...

I'd agree with that, though I'd like "Bottom" a lot more without the spoken word part in the middle. The title track was decent, but I thought the section at the 2:25 mark was what the song should've been based on, that was head and shoulders above the rest of the track.

Not listened to Opiate yet, though I've heard "Hush" before. I'll give it a listen before I get to any of the other albums.

Bottom is my favorite song from that album. I personally feel that the slow spoken word middle with Henry Rollins sets up the chorus nicely.

Opiate is very similar in style to Undertow but all of the songs are on the same level as Prison Sex and Sober. The song part of me kind of sucks though.

Opiate is miles ahead of Undertow. I thought the addition of live tracks would make it sound a bit disjointed or random, but everything sounds good together. Think it sounds a bit more... lively? As though the band are really getting into it, which makes it more enjoyable to listen to. Speaking of live tracks, I love the riff of "Cold and Ugly" and Adam Jones' tone is glorious. "Hush" is a song I really enjoy but so out of place with the rest of their discography, especially in the lyrics. "Go fuck yourself, you piece of shit why don't you just go and kill yourself?!"

If somebody shouted that at me in the street I would not be laughing, but here, I am. :lol:

Back