Thrash Metal

German thrash metal veterans Sodom were rejoined by former guitarists Josef "Grave Violator" Dominik (who was in the band 1984-1985), Frank "Blackfire" Gosdzik (1986-1989) and Andy Brings (1991-1995) during their 35th-anniversary show on December 26 at Zeche in Bochum, Germany.

Fan-filmed video footage of the concert:

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. In Retribution
02. In War And Pieces
03. An Eye For An Eye
04. Surfin' Bird / The Saw Is The Law
05. Belligerence
06. Among The Weirdcong
07. The Vice Of Killing
08. Sodomy And Lust
09. Masquerade In Blood
10. Proselytism Real
11. Witching Metal
12. Rolling Thunder
13. Napalm In The Morning
14. City Of God
15. Tired And Red
16. Caligula
17. Blasphemer (with Grave Violator)
18. Burst Command 'Til War (with Grave Violator)
19. Outbreak Of Evil (with Grave Violator)
20. Christ Passion (with Frank Blackfire)
21. Nuclear Winter (with Frank Blackfire)
22. Agent Orange (with Frank Blackfire)
23. Wachturm (with Andy Brings)
24. Sodomized (with Andy Brings)
25. Die Stumme Ursel (with Andy Brings)
26. Ausgebombt
27. Bombenhagel

Sodom's current lineup includes bassist/vocalist and sole remaining original member Thomas "Angelripper" Such, along with guitarist Bernd "Bernemann" Kost and drummer Markus "Makka" Freiwald.

I only just realized that Jason Newsted did play on an album for this band. I thought he left for Metallica before that.

Anyway, Metallica guys are assholes for burying him in the mix, he's killing it on this album. Like a thrash metal Steve Harris.

Possessed-Seven Churches

S.F. Bay Area thrash metal with death metal vocals.

Very influential in the mid-80's, never quite getting their due respect for the bands that copied them.

FYI, Guitarist Larry LaLonde eventually went on to join Primus, a band very different from this.

Seven Churches is one of those metal releases that has quite obviously been bettered by other bands with them, but still remains a great album. It feels heavier than a lot of heavier albums simply with its rawness. Jeff Becera is a demon on vocals and the whole band is really on fire. It isn’t perfect but it’s still a great album and worthy of the acclaim. I definitely think it deserves the title of ‘first death metal album’, it just feels like classic death metal. Good stuff.

The single greatest thrash album and one of the greatest metal albums of all time is Darkness Descends

rip your face off with The Burning of Sodom

Production wise, definitely.

I wish Amazon would add Live Scars to their cloud. Love that live lp recorded on Leave Scars tour. Have to just listen to my cd.

Possessed-Seven Churches

S.F. Bay Area thrash metal with death metal vocals.

Very influential in the mid-80's, never quite getting their due respect for the bands that copied them.

FYI, Guitarist Larry LaLonde eventually went on to join Primus, a band very different from this.

Not anywhere near that album but lets not forget that Larry and Les also played in this technically thrash band together before Primus!

If you can't get enough of Arise-era Sepultura there's always this band from Slovakia who seems to have copied basically everything from the early Sepultura albums. That said, it's not bad at all! Gladiator - Designation from 1992.

Last edited:
Back