Thrash Metal

There are still some Bay Area bands putting out stuff that may or may not fall strictly within the "thrash" genre boundaries, but definitely comes out of that tradition. "Hell Fire" is highly recommended.

Hell Fire's new album "Mania" was released on March 28. Simply stated: it rulez! The opening riff on the album sounds a bit like Back in the Village and there are a plethora of other Maiden-esque riffs throughout. These guys are not derivative though and stand on their own. If you like metal from 1980-1984 you will love these guys.

Saw Metal Church last night and they were great! How Mike Howe sounds so good live at his age is beyond me!

new material sounds killer live; the best received one was easily By the Numbers! 2 complaints: the rest of the setlist was the same old songs as the previous tour (would it have killed them to change at least 1 of them?!) & 2nd is the previous tour dates were co-headliners with Doro but the Texas dates are not. That means I thought MC would play a longer set without Doro but they did not!

The opening band Images of Eden were good! Never heard of them before but I met the singer and he said he is also in a Maiden tribute band! Found IOE website which shows they are touring to promote their 4th (!) Cd. Too bad I only got to see the last 2 songs. Live they reminded me of a cross between Dream Theater and Stryper but on the way home I listened to the new cd on Amazon and in the studio they sound like the new Queensryche!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/images-of-eden/2019/scout-bar-houston-tx-4393530b.html

https://www.imagesofeden.com/tour3.htm

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metal-church/2019/scout-bar-houston-tx-b935526.html

Somewhat surprised there has not been any mention of Power Trip in this thread. A new-ish band from Texas that sounds like 80s thrash crossed with hardcore punk. @Mosh mentioned them in the "Best of 2018" thread, but I thought I'd feature them here. Earlier this year they re-released their early EPs in a comp album called Opening Fire: 2008-2014. But this is from 2017's Nightmare Logic LP -- I dig it, and I think a number of folks on this forum will, too.

Somewhat surprised there has not been any mention of Power Trip in this thread. A new-ish band from Texas that sounds like 80s thrash crossed with hardcore punk. @Mosh mentioned them in the "Best of 2018" thread, but I thought I'd feature them here. Earlier this year they re-released their early EPs in a comp album called Opening Fire: 2008-2014. But this is from 2017's Nightmare Logic LP -- I dig it, and I think a number of folks on this forum will, too.

Power Trip is awesome, saw them live last year. Another band of that ilk is Red Death. In fact they open for Power Trip a lot (they did at the show I saw last year and several dates on a recently ended tour this year). Red Death is expected to release a new album soon. If you like PT, you'll like Red Death as well.

Top 5 underrated AWESOME Thrash Metal bands:

5- Shrine: Portuguese prog like thrashers that disbanded after their debut (no wonder almost no one knows them). Nevertheless their only release is a unique mix between ultra fast thrash riffing and something that's not far from the psychodelic vibe of Pink Floyd's first 2 albums.

4- Xentrix: These guys were something. Way better than countless other so called 1st line of Thrash Metal bands. Perhaps because they were from the UK and the Thrash movement over there was never promoted as heavily as in other countries (namely the USA and Germany)

3- Confessor: Hey i know these dude's sound is composed of Doom, Thrash and Prog Metal in almost identical quantities. However it amazes me how this band isn't more praised regarding the uniqueness and quality of their music.

2- Voivod: Ok... I know the majority of Voivod's albums are almost completely "thrashless" and that their first 2 records are a bit too much straight forward (although already showing glimpses of originality here and there). But let's take this into account: Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Phobos and even Target Earth have tons of thrash metal in their DNA. And since these are 4 of my top 5 Voivod albums (along with their latest) and both Dimension Hatross and Phobos are my two favorites, It's fair to say that the dissonant beast that arises each time Voivod goes Prog Thrash is largely underrated.

1- Sabbat: Back in the late 80's Sabbat crafted the most unique, relentless, mystical soundscapes Thrash Metal has ever seen. Sneap's composing and playing was as original as masterful, shapping thrash's riffing fundamentals into a completely medieval, arcane and epic ambiance. Plus Walkyier's voice was brutal, poingnant and utterly unmistakable. As far as I'm concerned their first 2 albums were as great as the greatest in the genre and were pivotal to the sound of two acts that would storm the metal scene during the next decade: Primordial and Cradle Of Filth. Great things were reserved in the future to both Sneap and Walkyer after the band broke up, but the indifference of a considerable number of Thrash Metal fans towards Sabbat's first two records remains a mystery to me.

Last edited:
Yup I know. And they'll release a new album this year. Nevertheless haven't heard anything of their new material yet.

1- Sabbat: Back in the late 80's Sabbat crafted the most unique, relentless, mystical soundscapes Thrash Metal has ever seen. Sneap's composing and playing was as original as masterful, shapping thrash's riffing fundamentals into a completely medieval, arcane and epic ambiance. Plus Walkyier's voice was brutal, poingnant and utterly unmistakable. As far as I'm concerned their first 2 albums were as great as the greatest in the genre and were pivotal to the sound of two acts that would storm the metal scene during the next decade: Primordial and Cradle Of Filth. Great things were reserved in the future to both Sneap and Walkyer after the band broke up, but the indifference of a considerable number of Thrash Metal fans towards Sabbat's first two records remains a mystery to me.
:ok: :ok: :cheers:
Great to see this fantastic band appreciated here.
I regret immensely that I didn't manage to see them live during the reunion.
Well at least it led to the re-release of the first two albums...

:ok: :ok: :cheers:
Great to see this fantastic band appreciated here.
I regret immensely that I didn't manage to see them live during the reunion.
Well at least it led to the re-release of the first two albums...
Got 'em both... the inlay notes are top notch as well as the repackaging and live songs. Helluva band!

Seen Overkill live almost 10 times and Blitz has NEVER let me down, despite his health issues. He had a cancer scare (or something serious like that). When I saw them in 2012, I could see Blitz backstage during the instrumental section of some songs and he was HURTING. Still ran back out on stage and nailed it everytime. (Of course, being a singer yet smoking most of his life hasn't helped; he switched to vaping few years ago)

Back