Thrash Metal

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
On behalf on @SixesAlltheway and countless other members here, I wanted to start a thrash metal thread. This is a place to discuss the origin of the subgenre, its progression throughout the 80's and 90's to today, and your favorite thrash metal bands, albums, and songs. Thrash metal, and it's counterpart speed metal, largely originated from the NWOBHM movement. Bands like Venom, Motörhead, and Satan laid down rough cuts of heavy metal and fused it with the blistering speed of hardcore punk to create something the world of heavy metal hadn't quite seen before:

Throughout 1983 and 1984, bands like Metallica, Slayer, Razor, and countless others picked up on the base work of what the bands from the NWOBHM crafted. Countless classic albums were released in 1983 and 1984: Kill 'Em All, Heavy Metal Maniac, In the Sign of Evil, the Bathory s/t, Metal Church, etc.. It wasn't until 1985 that Razor, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus, Overkill, and dozens of others debuted. 1985 was that year that truly kick started thrash metal, even though the subgenre had existed before that point. 1986, 1987, and all the years that followed would see immense releases from all corners of thrash metal.

Bands came and went during this time, some bands expanded their sound, while other simplified it to reach a bigger audience. All in all though, thrash metal is one of my favorite subgenres of heavy metal and here are a few of my favorites:

Excellent intro post @Dityn DJ James!

I've noticed a lot of love for the American thrash band Vektor here recently so just a heads up to check out this Swedish band as well. if you love Vektor you'll love this too...from 2011...Forbidden World...

Not mentioning Exodus in an opening thread about Trash? *Deducts a few points from excellence.* :D
Exodus has had some bad luck. It started already with their first album:
Originally titled A Lesson in Violence, the album was not released until April 1985 amidst creative and business setbacks. Whilst Bonded By Blood is considered a highly influential thrash metal album today, critics have regarded the delay in its release as having jeopradized the impact the album could have had. As Allmusic reviewer Eduardo Rivadavia would later write in his review for the album: "Had it been released immediately after it was recorded in 1984, Exodus' Bonded by Blood might be regarded today alongside Metallica's Kill 'Em All as one of the landmark albums responsible for launching the thrash metal wave".

"Be all and end all of trash"? Who asked for that?

My point is, naturally, that Exodus is one of the most important bands to mention, if you're gonna list just a few. And definitely when more than a few are mentioned.

The opening post does not just mention favourites (that only happened in the end). He clearly gave a short history of the beginning of the genre.

Alright? Great! So @Dityn DJ James starts a thread that doesn't feature your ONE best thrash band of all time.

Perhaps you can introduce that band in the conversation better than just calling everyone else out? This is about listening to music nothing else....

It wasn't until 1985 that Razor, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus, Overkill, and dozens of others debuted. 1985 was that year that truly kick started thrash metal, even though the subgenre had existed before that point.

Although it was brief, I did mention them in my original post @Forostar :D. I've only heard an album or two from Exodus, but this is one of my favorite thrash metal songs (Currently my third most played in iTunes actually):

Proof (and no I don't share my iTunes with someone else :innocent:):

fzw2BmW.png

Would you guys mind if I would focus on some Dutch trash? I have opened a topic about Dutch metal from the eighties already (and mentioned some of which some can be seen as trash), but maybe it's better to share things over here.

With some songs in mind to share I am not sure where to draw the border between fast heavy metal/speed/power/trash metal.

Last edited:
Back