Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

a thing that annoys me about Maiden is that the only Donington I saw them at in 2003 (and it took me quite a way from Germany to get there) was a really bad gig. honestly. I have seen Maiden now 37 times between 1990 and today, but Donington 2003 was by far the worst Maiden gig I ever witnessed. it suffered alone from a boring setlist itself. as a surprise they knocked out WIldest Dreams as a teaser for their upcoming Dance Of Dead album, and there was some kind of embarrassement to feel among people in the audience, at least among them ones with a lower drinking level at that point of the evening.
and I think I'm not completely alone with this opinion since it may not be a surprise that there is no official Donington 2003 release in any way. to me it seems even Maiden themselves would like to make Donington 2003 forgotten. there is an audio bootleg of poor quality and that's it.

is there anybody out there having seen Maiden more than two times would disagree with me that THIS setlist is stupid???:

I was at the is gig and its still my fav Maiden gig ive been to and ive seen them 16 times now. The order is a bit poo but you have to remember at this point Maiden hadn't played some of these songs for a while so hearing Revelations for the first time in 18 yrs was amazing . Plus songs like Boots and 22 didn't get a look in with Blaze and you had H back. Weird how peoples experience were different but its still a magical memory for me.

I was at Donington 2003 as well. It was great. As @Christopher Baines, says there's 4 tracks there that hadn't been played in years at the time. there's also the Clairvoyant and Heaven Can Wait which haven't been played much since either. Opening with The Number of the Beast was a major curveball.

Also, I'm fairly sure that was the first tour with Doctor Doctor since 1982.

Imagine if they used my previous idea for a plane, and upgrade to a bomber.
I think they better stick to a Spitfire, cuz there’s no topping Motörhead’s lighting rig bomber:

90274C1E-439E-45FA-82C9-B4BDAE3CCDDC.jpeg

For what it’s worth, as a Maiden fan who has only been lucky enough to see them once so far: I think “Aces High” is a killer opener. It was such a cool part of the experience to watch the lights dim and turn blue as the sound of airplane engines kicked in and lead to Churchill’s speech, before the song proper started and the band triumphantly emerged onto the stage. Also it’s one of my favorite songs by the band (and easily their best single) so hearing the beefed-up Legacy version was just cool as hell. The Spitfire was merely the icing on the cake. I just wish it lasted longer lol.

I think Aces High is a great opener, one of the best of all time. I don't really buy the argument that it's overused, Aces High is actually not a very commonly played song. It was obviously the opener on the World Slavery Tour, then wasn't played live again at all until 1999 with the Ed Huntour. It wasn't played again until Somewhere Back in Time. It made Maiden England, but not as an opener, and then LOTB.

So it's only been the opener four times - probably the most of any song, sure, but also, only one tour per decade. It's just that LOTB is going on so, so, so long...

Openers analysis:

Aces High - World Slavery Tour 1984-85, Ed Huntour 1999, Somewhere Back in Time 2008-09, Legacy of the Beast World Tour 2018-19
Be Quick or Be Dead - Fear of the Dark Tour 1992, Real Live Tour 1993
Caught Somewhere in Time - Somewhere on Tour 1985-86
Different World - A Matter of Life and Death World Tour 2006, A Matter of the Beast 2007
Futureal - Virtual XI World Tour 1998
If Eternity Should Fail - The Book of Souls World Tour 2016-17
Man on the Edge - The X Factour 1995-96
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Eddie Rips Up the World Tour 2005
Moonchild - Seventh Sour of a Seventh Tour 1988, Maiden England World Tour 2012-14
Sanctuary - Iron Maiden Tour 1980
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier - The Final Frontier World Tour 2011
Tailgunner - No Prayer on the Road 1990-91
The Number of the Beast - Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead Tour 2003
The Wicker Man - Brave New World Tour 2000-02, The Final Frontier World Tour 2010
Where Eagles Dare - World Piece Tour 1983
Wildest Dreams - Dance of Death World Tour 2003-04
Wrathchild - Killer World Tour 1981, Beast on the Road 1982

I think they better stick to a Spitfire, cuz there’s no topping Motörhead’s lighting rig bomber:

View attachment 18761

For what it’s worth, as a Maiden fan who has only been lucky enough to see them once so far: I think “Aces High” is a killer opener. It was such a cool part of the experience to watch the lights dim and turn blue as the sound of airplane engines kicked in and lead to Churchill’s speech, before the song proper started and the band triumphantly emerged onto the stage. Also it’s one of my favorite songs by the band (and easily their best single) so hearing the beefed-up Legacy version was just cool as hell. The Spitfire was merely the icing on the cake. I just wish it lasted longer lol.

Im not a fan of motorhead for a variety of reasons, but you're right, this rig is dope!

I think Aces High is a great opener, one of the best of all time. I don't really buy the argument that it's overused, Aces High is actually not a very commonly played song. It was obviously the opener on the World Slavery Tour, then wasn't played live again at all until 1999 with the Ed Huntour. It wasn't played again until Somewhere Back in Time. It made Maiden England, but not as an opener, and then LOTB.

So it's only been the opener four times - probably the most of any song, sure, but also, only one tour per decade. It's just that LOTB is going on so, so, so long...
I agree. There is nothing quite like being at a Maiden gig and having the crowd roar the line ‘Run, live to fly!’ at the top of their lungs. Goosebumps every time.

If nothing else, there was something delightfully cheesy about that big rubber spitfire dangling over the stage and moving around inanely.

Openers analysis:

Aces High - World Slavery Tour 1984-85, Ed Huntour 1999, Somewhere Back in Time 2008-09, Legacy of the Beast World Tour 2018-19
Caught Somewhere in Time - Somewhere on Tour 1985-86 1986-87
Different World - A Matter of Life and Death World Tour 2006, A Matter of the Beast 2007
Moonchild - Seventh Sour of a Seventh Tour 1988, Maiden England World Tour 2012-14
The Wicker Man - Brave New World Tour 2000-02, The Final Frontier World Tour 2010

We need heavy metal teachers yo.

My history teacher was a metal fan, upon discovering I was too he started playing Maiden songs in class every now and then. It was him who introduced me to Paschendale.

Aside from a few songs*, neither am I.

*”Bomber” is one of those songs.

If you have any interest in them, I would highly recommend the Bastards album. Peak Motorhead, such a shame it never got a wide release 'cause it would probably be widely considered as classic as Overkill and Ace of Spades.

Openers analysis:

Caught Somewhere in Time - Somewhere on Tour 1985-86

Murders in the Rue Morgue was also the opener of the shows they headlined on the Beast on the Road tour. :)

Right, dude? I "§$%ing wish! lol Damn was it boring. We need heavy metal teachers yo. Someone set up an PAC.
my heavy metal teacher moment back at school (1992) was this: when I finished school we did our final school trip to Munich for a week - three classes of 10th grade, so 80 people approximately. there was a cultural program glued together by my school having various museums and stuff on schedule, and also a concert was planned. the same week we would be in Munich two bigger concerts took place, so the choice was whether to go seeing Elton John or Brian Adams. a choice between whether pestilence or cholera - my opinion then and now. on the bus to Munich me and two mates of mine found out that Obituary and Napalm Death would play a small venue right the evening we arrived. we told our teacher that it actually would be impossible and unbearable for us to go and see Elton John or Brian Adams and asked him to make an exception for us letting us go to that club as we preferred Napalm Death and Obituary so much more. and he was so kind letting us go :D ...didn't expect that.

Love this forum, three corrections, two of which are the same :p

Openers analysis:

Caught Somewhere in Time - Somewhere on Tour 1986-87
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Beast on the Road 1982, Eddie Rips Up the World Tour 2005
Wrathchild - Killer World Tour 1981

Back