These Colours Don't Run

How good is These Colours Don't Run on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: These Colours Don't Run

Because of the weak chorus, 'These Colours Don't Run' does not get more than 8/10.

Everything on this song is fantastic, a classic AMOL&D epic song. 10/10.

This is the AMOLAD song that has grown the most on me over time.  When the album first came out I loved it but it wasn't one of my favorites.  Now over 4 years after its release it's probably my second or third favorite track on the record.  Seeing it live numerous times last summer certainly helped it in that regard.

I love the intro, it's gorgeous.  I love the lyrics as well.  But the real highlight of the song for me is the harmony near the end.  I wish it was just a tad longer though.  Spellbinding that harmony is.

9/10 from me and if we could rate in decimals I'd give it a 9.5.  Great, great song.

Great song and, from my point of view, good lyrics. A solid 9.

A truly fantastic chorus. Haunting opening riff and includes one of my favourite ever guitar solos - Adrian's. Dave has also mentioned that this is his favourite solo of Adrian's on AMOLAD.

Great lyrics, riff and chorus. The solos are absolutely fantastic but I have 1 problem and it is a problem that persists in a lot of AMOLAD. That is the overuse of the Maiden Progression. 9/10

9/10... This one took awhile to grow on me. It was never a tune that really blew my hair back until I saw them do it live. Bruce's powerful vocal is a highlight...
Stallion Duck said:
Great lyrics, riff and chorus. The solos are absolutely fantastic but I have 1 problem and it is a problem that persists in a lot of AMOLAD. That is the overuse of the Maiden Progression. 9/10
What is the Maiden Progression? Never heard the term before...

7. This song got a great build up and wonderful melodies with those layers of keyboards which brought me back instantly to the Seventh Son album vibe. It works much better live, but still lacks something.

Eddies Wingman said:
Agreed, it is a great song. Delivered with conviction, you feel they mean it. However, it has never blown me away to the extent that it earns a 10. It gets close, though. 9.

Agree entirely. I think the fact that it didn't grab me straight away gets a one point deduction, but if I were trapped on a desert isle, I'd be ok with only having this song.

I don't think I’ve ever said this is the band’s best song, but there are certainly times it has been my favourite. Epic in scope and power, yet never overblown or repetitive. Great opening, great vocal performance and melodies, outstanding mix of rhythms and tempos, inspiring lyrics, killer instrumental section — I struggle to find a flaw. Ten.

taker64 said:
9/10... This one took awhile to grow on me. It was never a tune that really blew my hair back until I saw them do it live. Bruce's powerful vocal is a highlight... What is the Maiden Progression? Never heard the term before...
You're a musician right? It's E C D G. It is used quite often in Maiden since most songs are in Em and they really over use it on AMOLAD, and the intro verse prechorus and chorus all use that progression. It is very repetitive.

My fave song from the album, and one of my all-time fave Maiden choruses. 10/10.

This is a beautiful song, with an amazing intro, a stunning instrumental section and a wonderful vocal melody. I can relate to what Bruce said about it on the last tour, this being a song about a warrior and being a warrior does not mean that you have to fight and kill other people, but it means "never giving up". I think the lyrics are great, and to me the key to the meaning has always been the first line: "It's the same in every country when you say you're leaving".
Somehow, I always feel the intro to this song is the intro to the album proper, with Different World being merely a prologue. As such, this is an early strong point on an album that is a highlight in itself. 9/10.

Stallion Duck said:
You're a musician right? It's E C D G. It is used quite often in Maiden since most songs are in Em and they really over use it on AMOLAD, and the intro verse prechorus and chorus all use that progression. It is very repetitive.

I thought the maiden progression was E C G D as in the wickerman chorus, WTWWB, blood brothers (many many many times), the longest day, these colurs dont run, OOTSP etc

Babo 91 said:
I thought the maiden progression was E C G D as in the wickerman chorus, WTWWB, blood brothers (many many many times), the longest day, these colurs dont run, OOTSP etc
You're right it is. My mistake.

Stallion Duck said:

What? Since when? They've used that recently, but The Maiden Progression is E C D E. Always has been. Look at Trooper, Hallowed, Aces High. I VI VII I has been the Maiden trademark for decades.

Fuckin' younguns these days, no respect for history. :p

Re: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

hmm It appears you're right, there is no G. But still they are very similar.

Re: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

The part starts at the middle of the third minute is one of my favorite Maiden moments of all time. I love this song, my second favorite off the album behind Brighter Than a Thousand Suns. 10/10.

Back