These Colours Don't Run

How good is These Colours Don't Run on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Brilliant, brilliant lyrics. Music is great too, I dislike a bit the repetition towards the end and the oooh ooooh section. I’d like this to be the opener of a 9 song album and Different World to be a non album single instead.

Last edited:

I've never particularly liked These Colours Don't Run. It's my least favourite song on the album, and it's not that far off overall. I really dislike the pacing - the song feels like the longest on the album to me - and the less said about the chorus, the better. The instrumental section suffers from the same lack of pace, and while I generally like "whoa" sections it doesn't feel earned in this song.

7. Repetition, chorus is not that good, but the main riff and solos in instrumental rock. Mostly very good track.

Amazing melodies throughout the song and + an excellent Bruce performance. Cool lyrics as well. 9, almost 10.

9 - It’s not the pinnacle, but in a lot of ways this is a signature song for what Maiden is post-reunion. Quiet intro, mirrored outro, sudden time changes, dramatic composition, dramatic vocals, big chorus, thoughtful lyrics, great guitar melodies, interesting solo, trippy Nicko-isms, an extended tasty musical mid-section.

It’s a song about sacrifice and conviction and the verses are delivered with steadfast conviction and Bruce Dickinson was born to sing this chorus. Passionate, defiant, operatic. It’s got a great bounce, built for shaking stadiums.

I’ve always loved this guitar/bass intro - mildly charged and vaguely unsettling with that emphasis note on the third beat building the anticipation. It layers nicely with the more mysterious lead guitar melody and keyboard washes. These are Maiden tropes to be sure, but is also Maiden building atmosphere masterfully. I also really like how it heaves and lurches and stumbles - as opposed to launches - into action. It brings a sense of weight to where the song is going. And it is going weighty places.

Thematically and musically Colours, is expansive without being bloated, thoughtful without lacking emotion. It has one foot in “single“ territory and the other in epic territory and balances each element perfectly.

Great track that perfectly sets the tone for this album.

(9.2)

6/10

That chorus ruins the momentum of the song completely. There's a slinky sense of desperation to the song otherwise, something even more pronounced with that synth-backed instrumental part before and after each solo. Overall, the instrumental section is the high point of the song but the abrupt shift back into the chorus just demonstrates how ill-fitting it is. Well, the song wouldn't get more than a 7 regardless...but that chorus easily drops it a point. Thankfully, I'm feeling charitable enough to not drop it further than that.

This is the Goldilocks of Maiden songs. Not too proggy, rocks hard enough but still has some bite, great instrumental section that doesn’t overstay its welcome, fantastic chorus. It gets a tone of mileage out of that E C G D progression, yet it doesn’t feel repetitive. I love the woah oh ohs. This has everything that I need in a Maiden song. Both solos are fantastic. The chorus is one of their best.

Bruce’s lyric is proud but not too nationalistic. They’re weirdly empathetic: as a soldier you’re led to believe that you’re dying for a noble cause, but the guy on the other side was told the same thing. The conditions for a soldier are the same no matter where they come from. So what’s all this for anyway?

Back