The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Babo 91 said:
Is it possibly about slaves being transported from africa to america ?

I can't see it.

I can make out most of the last verse and most of the lyrics and talks about going to a golden promise land.  Not really a thought slaves would have.  They also speak of trying to find the will to live and make it.

It sounds like a group of immigrants who hit a storm. I thought it might be about convicts going to Australia at first. I'll try to work on the lyrics soon.

LooseCannon said:
It sounds like a group of immigrants who hit a storm. I thought it might be about convicts going to Australia at first. I'll try to work on the lyrics soon.

Yeah, I agree with you.

It kind of reminds me of the first settlers to North America.  They were told of all the great things that will happen if they come to the new world, but most died on the way over and a lot of them got here to find it wasn't so great.

It could just be a general story about people leaving at sea to find themselves in a battle for their lives (which is like so many moments in history).
definitely about a storm and sickness on the boat.
Twenty days without a meal,
and ten without fresh water still.
Those that didn't die and starve,
the scurvy rest did slaughter.

Love that verse.
haha another thought:

It's also got a bit of a twist ending.  The ship finally makes it and the narrator finds that he is almost dead, but he still sees the elation in everyones faces and he's happy for them.

Travis -

Right on. Excellent song and I have it right behind Isle.. but its gaining ground and coming around the bend! Talk to me tomorrow and it might take over my #1.. listening now, and I love the gallop in this one - its pure wicked man, and Bruce must have had Kevin Shirley pulling on his nut sack to sing like this!!!!

mozzle said:
I love the long accoustic intro on The Legacy. I think it fits perfect.

As for The Talisman, well it's not bad, I just don't think it's needed. It seems more tacked on then the one on The Legacy.

At the end of the day, I think The Talisman would get more plays on my Ipod if it didn't have the intro. I may in fact have two versions of it. One like how it's supposed to be, and one with the intro edited out. I've done that with a fair few Maiden songs. Call it Sacrilegious but hey. It works for me.

I did the opposite with Aces High. I found Churchill's speech online, and also somme sounds of different planes flying over head. I mixed them all together, and placed it in front of Aces High...and it came out really cool....like it was always supposed to be that way! :edmetal:
I think the intro to The Talisman is the calm expectancy as they set off...the hopefulness of what's ahead of them....and the unsuredness of it all....and as it kicks in all brutal and aggressive, the brutal reality of the raging seas and troubles they encounter, kick in. Not a lot of twists and turns in this song....but it doesn't need them. it just kicks you in the teeth and continues on pummeling you, long after you've given in....and you say "thank you sir...may I please have more?". Some absolutely stunning soaring vocals in this one, and really beautiful twin guitar leads in classic Maiden style...and a brilliant fast gallop! Weeeestward the tide! Wweeeeestward we sail on!

Why not just rip the audio from the music video for Aces High? XD Seems a lot easier (but less fun).

I love the intro but it just doesn't fit the song for me.

Moonchild33 said:
Why not just rip the audio from the music video for Aces High? XD Seems a lot easier (but less fun).

I love the intro but it just doesn't fit the song for me.

Because you can't pull the crowd noise out of it...and I wanted this to sound like it belonged on the studio album.

Moonchild33 said:
There's crowd noise in the music video? I just clicked out of youtube and I'm too lazy to go hear it myself. :p

I was thinking you meant LAD. Welp....screw you, then....ok? LOL ;) It WAS fun to do, though.

Amazing epic and the best song Gers has written along with "Ghost of the navigator ". It gives me goozebumps !!! :edmetal:

This is Gers best work so far. I like this a lot more then The Legacy. Did he co-write it with any of the other members?

Anybody else's eardrums get blown out every time the gallop kicks in?  Seems to be mixed higher than the rest of the record.

..Posted this in the TFF Discussion Thread and felt compelled to post it again.

Well, its been 2 full days since I started this journey called TFF... I can now offer a valid opinion based on numerous listens...

My opinion is.....

FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE.  I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM SINCE SSOASS. PERIOD.

For me, a fan since '81, this ranks right up there with SSOASS, and SIT. I would put it just behind POM, Poweslave, and TNOTB (in that order - and yes some of that has to do with nostalgia I am very certain)... That said, f you would have asked me yesterday, I would have put it on equal footing with DOD, and a lesser album than BNW & AMOLAD... This is the REAL DEAL. Songs 6 to 10 could round out separate album in and of themselves... Absolutely Incredible.

Thanks Bruce, Steve, Dave, Adrian, Janic and Nico - YOU MADE MY YEAR.

Cheers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer.. I would rank it just behind SIT, SSOASS.. in that order, and no small feat. I cant imagine what I'll thinks once I really start getting into the lyrics, as for now I have only been focused on song structure, melodies, riffage, ryhthms, etc...

Yes the Talisman baby!!  Is anyone else particularly loving the haunting guitar part after Bruce's "But the ropes keep them tight" part?  I think that particular sound happens twice or three times during the song.  It's like a bend in the song, and it is freekin tight!  I love the song, but the intro may be a tad to long, and soft.  It actually doesn't sound as much like the legacy as the sample made it out to.  Awesome haunting story told with power!  Love the Talisman- 4.5/5

Back