The Prophecy

How good is The Prophecy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Well, there are two types of fillers: good and bad. Most are usually bad though, as since they're just made to increase the album's length.

I really tried to like this song, but it's (except for the opening melody) really forgettable, and I can't give it more than 5/10.

Weakest track on the album but acts as kind of a link in the storytelling and it works in that way. Because of it's role in the song order, I don't think that its relative weakness brings down the average.

The worst song on a brilliant album. It's a shame, too, because the music is incredible. I love the medieval feel, especially in the outro. There is some really great guitar work by Dave, but Bruce mucks it all up with vocal lines that sound improvised.

I really like this song. More excellent guitar work and Bruce's singing is great. The intro and outro are also superb. One day I really stopped to listen to the calm that the outro brings and it was a beautiful thing. What an underrated song. 10/10

Like 22 The Avenue and many other have said, underrated song!
While it isn't that special, I really like this song. Dig the intro, really dig the outro, and I like Bruce performance on this one, it's brutal but effective!
This one sits good in the album order also after the grandios title track.

7/10

8/10

Love the singing and the guitar work. Can't believe how many think it's only decent.

It's pretty enjoyable within the context of the album and I feel it does add to it there. However if it were on another album it would be losing a point or two, and certainly doesn't get any playing outside of the album.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy

9.... for me, all the instrumental sections are some of the finest moments on the album - particularly the riffs just before the solos and the acoustic outro. I'll agree that that the verses aren't great, hence me not giving it a 10

10/10

The Prophecy is easily the weakest track of the bunch, but it serves a necessary purpose in the story. The Seventh Son grows older and warns the village of impending disaster, but they refuse to listen and instead label him a villain. Of course, the impending disaster arrives and he’s left to say, “Told ya so.” Just as Can I Play With Madness is a track intended for a bit of fun, The Prophecy is a track intended for a bit of plot. It’s necessary to the album and it gives the listener a brief respite from the pomp of the title track and the blitz of the last two songs. Bruce’s vocals are less than stellar on this track, but it’s no fault of performance or lyrics. The melodies just simply are not great. Dave Murray’s guitar, however, is beautiful. From the somber intro and stately main riff to the solo, Dave has written (or most likely improvised) a special song. The classical outro piece is nothing short of remarkable.

A cute little track, enjoyable, but I literally just spent five minutes reading about James VI/I without stopping to notice it was on. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Prophecy

A typically melodic Dave Murray song. Very sweet music. Davey creates magic with hammer-ons and pull-offs and bends in the same way Willy Wonka makes magic with confectionary. If you squint your eyes Davey even looks a little like the original Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder...

Haha, well put, sir. Yes, although the song in itself (lyrics/vocal melodies) possibly is a bit Maiden by numbers, the overly sweet music saves the day and hence the song climbs to an 8 for me. That intro is beyond beautful. The accoustic outro even more so. And then haunting harmony section - unbelivably good, in my book. Dave's solo is awesome too, although his solo on The Clairvoyant is even better.

This one has the signature bluesy Dave intro, but like most Dave penned songs it grows into something different afterwards. This has a cool vibe to it, different feel with the 6/8 time signature. I love the panned vocals, I think they were going for the whole "angel on one shoulder devil on the other" thing with that. Really haunting and heavy tune. Really beautiful guitar melodies throughout as well. Always loved the mood with this song. The classical guitar outro is also cool and unexpected. I think the album would've flowed a bit better if this and The Clairvoyant swapped places.

The beautiful central guitar melody and equally melodic verse shows a lot of thought went into it and proves to me it isnt filler. The acoustic outro is lush too.

Admittedly the chorus and instrumental dont hit the heights of the first 5 tracks though.

Back