The Prophecy

How good is The Prophecy on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Who sings the lines

Suffering and pain impending disaster
Souls crying the devil's laughter
Heard the cry of the seventh whistletrs
Lucifer smiles looks on and waits

I can't figure out who it is... I'm fairly sure it's not Bruce.

'the Prophecy'

[!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] it's bruce!

'the Prophecy'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Prophecy' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Prophecy'

This song has a very good intro but the main part song isn't anything particularily great. The acoustic ending is beautiful but for the most part, it's a good average song.

Stranger's definitive rating: 4 stars.

'the Prophecy'

I agree, it has a very nice acoustic outro and some interesting verses (which would be very difficult to reproduce live). A fairly good song, but not the best on the album.

'the Prophecy'

One of the best songs on the album
great outro

'the Prophecy'

great song: 4 stars

What I like the most are the voices that shift from left to right:
Suffering and pain impending disaster
Souls crying the devil's laughter
Heard the cry of the seventh whistletrs
Lucifer smiles looks on and waits

'the Prophecy'

Nice intro, nice outro, great song altogether. Murray should have written some more stuff for this album I think [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Prophecy'

For me, this is the weakest song on the album. One particularly enjoyable part of the song however is when it kicks into Dave's solo.

3 stars.

Re: 'the Prophecy'

I love how the song has a constant almost medieval sound to it. The chord progression and what not. Love it.

Oh and Bruce's vocals are just pristine.

Daily Song: The Prophecy

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Prophecy

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Again, one of the weakest songs on the album. It feels happy and slow, and I never got into it. It's an alright song, just not one that ever really makes me get up and dance. That said, as far as "weak songs" go, it's quite good. 7/10, almost low enough to be a 6.

Re: Daily Song: The Prophecy

I think this song is better than what some people make it out to be and find it to be decently underrated. I think this is better than the song following, but it's still in the middle bunch of songs. I like the soft intro, and the way it fades into the opening verse. Really like the section before the solo. The fading outro does seem to go one for a while, but the song is still a solid 8.

A bit of an underappreciated nugget in that the band really shines on this track. Love the guitars and the martial rhythms. The vocals and the melody are awkward and drag the song down. The acoustic fadeout is beautiful, one of the most gorgeous things Maiden has ever done, although it ends too fast. Seven.

The weakest track on a very strong album. The highlight for me is the change of pace going into the solo, and the solo itself. 5/10

Even if the weakest on the album, it's pretty strong overall, the ending is pure magic (I already said it before)

7/10.

It's not really a bad song per se, but it's not a good song either.  It's not annoying like CIPWM and I don't mind listening to it, but it's really just unremarkable.  It's followed by an awesome track and preceded by an awesome track, which makes it even feel even more mediocre.  Then again slotting into the story raises its value somewhat.  I give it a fair 7.

9/10. A great song and well worth a 9. As said by mckindog, this song is under appreciated.

I think it is a great song. On the lower half considering this album, but well into the top half considering Maiden's catalog as a whole. A solid 8.

Everything about this song is great, except the chorus.
A really bad choice of key, plus it's a major so it just sounds weird in the context of the song.
I'll give it a 7, but only because it's in SS.

Weakest song of side B. That sounds negative but look at those other three phenominal songs.

I haven't played it in a long time, so this is a good occasion. The intro is very nice. I've forgotten how strong it was. Again these keyboards play a strong part. Other positive points are the famous outro and the vocals. I like that stereo effect (Suffering and pain  -  impending disaster).

Better than Can I Play With Madness but a bit pale when one compares with the superb melodies and drive of the other songs. So not good enough for an 8 in my book:

A 7.

Back